The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Levents dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
andrewdodds
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Ca
75 Posts

Profile of andrewdodds
Just got the ultimate guide to the billiard balls by levent....it is the best 50 or so bucks I have ever spent. Period.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I agree. It's so complete. Everything project he does is that way. He gives such attention to detail which is much appreciated. There are things we have only heard about when it comes to the billiard balls and the misers dream and he fills in that gap. Watching him reacted the lost routines of Benson and Cardini was priceless.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5295 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I totally agree! Even thought I have almost totally given up performing the multiplying balls, due to age related arthritis, I feel that this is the best DVD on the subject for historical reasons.

I wish it had been available when I was in my early 20’s and just starting to build a manipulation routine. It is brilliant! I consider it a best buy on the subject! All of his DVD's are best buys for the student and lover of magic.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Levent's work has had a big impact on my shows. I do stuff professionally now that I wouldn't have been doing otherwise.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
andrewdodds
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Ca
75 Posts

Profile of andrewdodds
Ya Im putting together a manipulation routine involving billiard balls and cards for a competition in August. There is such a wealth of material that I feel the routine possibilites are endless
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22169 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is a good place to start when creating a Billiard Ball routine:
http://www.magicinc.net/garciasbilliardballs.aspx Frank Garcia's routines can get you thinking about creating a routine.

Geoffrey Buckingham was a master in Billiard Ball manipulation, his books are a must:
Vol.1 - http://www.magicinc.net/easierthanyouthinkvol1.aspx

Vol.2 - http://www.magicinc.net/easierthanyouthinkvol2.aspx
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
741 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I agree too. I have both the Miser's Dream and Billiard Ball DVDs. Can't wait for Levent to complete his Linking Rings project.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
andrewdodds
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Ca
75 Posts

Profile of andrewdodds
Hey guys,

So I'm trying to make the back rig that levent made in the video, you will know what I'm talking about if you have the video. I have it all made up but I cant figure out how to attach the holders to the sheetmetal.Again these are the holders that are used for the back loads in the cardini routine Any ideas?!
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-05-03 13:39, andrewdodds wrote:
Hey guys,

So I'm trying to make the back rig that levent made in the video, you will know what I'm talking about if you have the video. I have it all made up but I cant figure out how to attach the holders to the sheetmetal.Again these are the holders that are used for the back loads in the cardini routine Any ideas?!

I love the Levent DVD too, and am learning much from it. It is great on several levels: as a technical teaching aid, for its historical lessons, and as enteretainment.

But, I did not care much for the "sheetmetal" solutions. I found them interesting but only as a point of departure for coming up with my own solutions for ball holders/droppers. Consider doing the same.

For example, I noticed that standard caulk tubes are a perfect fit for the 1.75" fakinis I'm workin with. They are also cheap, lightwieght, and easily replaceable. Tonight I'm giving a shot at working up a couple of droppers using caulk tubes (shortened) fitted with wire loops attached to the ends to catch the balls. I think the basic idea should work ok in a basic vertical gravity fed version, as well as a shortened horizontal version. I'll post the results here if there is any interest. I realize that you will need larger tubes if you are using 2" or larger balls but I'm sure you can find some. How about the tubes the fakinis ship in?

The whole realm of ball holders and droppers fascinates me. The smplicity of the downs bag is hard to beat and there are posts on this site from others who have succesfully created holders from material that do not cling to fakinis. I think further testing in that area is warranted.

I've rolled silk bundles around cotter pins and attached them to my jacket with safety pins for bare handed silk productions with no problems so far, so I was thinking how about puncturing a fakini (gasp!) and hanging it on a cotter pine, wire, or nylon line? Anyone ever do that? Did it work? Tim Wright shows a great flash four production using skewered golf balls on his billiard ball DVD and it works for him.

Anybody else out there have any great, novel, or "thinking outside the box" solutions to rigging billiard balls, especially Fakinins, for production? I would love to hear them. Forgive me for quoting the above post and then not actually offering an on point solution to the question. It is just that the question touched upon the issue of ball holders and I could not help but jump right in there in hopes that some interesting solutions (for both of us) may result. Smile

Posted: May 3, 2011 4:26pm
Oops!

"how about puncturing a fakini (gasp!) and hanging it on a cotter pine"

If you can't find cotter "pines" (which grow only in swapms in the deep south) you can substitute cotter "pins".

heh heh

Posted: May 3, 2011 4:27pm
Er, uh "swamps"!
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
sefton
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sefton
I am aware of one pro act (here in England)who used to suspend silicone balls from needles.
A drastic solution with Fakini's, but it worked for him!

Cheers,
Brian S.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Drastic solution? Well maybe not terribly so. Stabbing a needle into a ball that costs over twenty bucks may sound appalling to some, but appealing to others. It offers an elegantly simple and minimalist solution to the problem of how to store a silicone ball for easy retrieval. One would want to be assured, I think, that the needle always travels through the same hole to as to not enlarge it over time. This type of solution recognizes, and takes advantage of, the difference between such balls and traditional hard, smooth surfaced balls.

Speaking of the difference between silicone balls, or other "bouncy" balls, and traditional hard balls, how many of you deliberately bounce a ball during your routine. Old timers bemoan that fact that you cannot "clack" two bouncy balls together to prove their solidity. That's true, but you can bounce them for the same purpose. What is more, as you bounce the ball and follow it with your eyes and body language, the audience should follow it as well, allowing your other hand to...well, you know.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
andrewdodds
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Ca
75 Posts

Profile of andrewdodds
All the time...and the holders are now complete. Stay tune for pictures
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Guys:

Right now I am in the middle of a whole bunch of projects and only today, did I notice this thread. I thank you all for your kind comments and for purchasing my DVDs Smile

The back of body holder I made for the Cardini routine was just a soft plastic tube with coat hanger wire attached to the bottom to keep the tube open and the balls from falling. The sheet metal on top was used mainly to keep the two holders in place during the routine. I did this because the heavy holders tended to shift around like a pendulum, when I began to rehearse the Cardini routine.

Luckysizes has a good idea in using the caulk tubes for the 1 3/4" balls. I am certain that if a person brought a ball to the supermarket or hardware store they could find a proper sized plastic tube in the cleaning supplies aisle.

Regarding Brian Selfton's comment (BTW, Hi Brian!!), yes the balls can be impaled on a needle. On my manipulation act DVD, I stuck a fakini ball on a hatpin that was protruding out of the base of the candle holder for my candle to ball trick! And Luckysizes is right if you don't want the hole to get too big and ugly, you must try to impale it in the same hold every time. Also it you have a the pins on your body, be careful that you doing stick yourself with the needle.

Best regards to all,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com

Posted: May 5, 2011 9:34am
One more thing! There MUST be some material on earth the does not stick to the silicon balls. Perhaps there might be a teflon coated fabric? Has anyone tried it on Kevlar or tyvek paper? It would be great if there was a Downs bag that worked well with the Fakini balls.

Best regards to all,
Levent
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Members may not be aware of it, but the parachute cloth (also known as rip stop nylon) is now often available with a silicon treated side.
Perhaps this would allow for a smoother slide for the ball, while still being a fabric style tube.

Regards-JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Levent/JNeal,
I tried making Downs bags out of tyvek already and unfortunately it still sticks. I also sketched out other styles using 3 or 4 coat hanger pieces that would be held open by the balls themselves and then collapse once the last ball was gone. However, Bob Sander's downs bags do seem to work with fakini balls as long as you don't try to squeeze the ball out with the heel of your hand. Instead, you have to roll the balls out with your middle finger.

Jim

(PS: JNeal, I'm doing the brunch at the castle this weekend so I am looking forward to seeing you Sat & Sun.)
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
andrewdodds
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Ca
75 Posts

Profile of andrewdodds
Levent,
I really want to thank you for the work you have put in. An inspiration.

andrew
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Everything I've gotten from Levent is topnotch. I'm always amazed when he pulls out some long-lost book (that probably less than half a dozen people know of) to credit an idea or move. I know enough moves though, so the greatest joy is the historical aspects and watching the old routines performed.

I'd love to see a set on the history of the "Sympathetic Silks" effect, but then more people would do it.... So, never mind. Disregard that thought. Move along, people. Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2354 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Levant's DVD are top notch, proffesional and he seems like a nice guy, would love to meet him.
jeangenie
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jeangenie
Looking forward to his next dvd set on the linking rings.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Thanks Everybody!

Jeangenie: I'm also looking forward to that! I was going to shoot it last week, but I was not completely satisfied with some special ring gimmicks that I made and in the scheme of things it is really important to get the tricks right even if it delays the shooting of the video by a month.

Levent

Posted: May 17, 2011 2:17pm
Michael:

Just a little tidbit for you, I've been privately showing some pro magicians a few of the Ring routines from the 19th Century (that will be on the DVD) and they were all shocked by how fantastic the Chinese Rings trick was in the 1800s.

Levent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Levents dvd (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL