The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What's Your Solution for Dry Hands In Card Work? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Gorman
View Profile
New user
Cary, North Carolina
58 Posts

Profile of Mike Gorman
Card work is pretty difficult if you have dry hands.
I've tried many versions of hand cream, but none are very effective at moisturizing fingers.
Golden Touch or Corn Huskers doesn't work for me.

Could you share what works for you???

Thanks,
Mike Gorman
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
I find Skinners edge card creme cream helps but I do wish it stayed on the hands for longer. I suffer with very dry skin unfortunately and this is the best I've found so far. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Search "dry hands" in The Workers forum.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Cornhuskers didn't work well enough for me, either.

For me, what finally worked was "Zim's Crack Creme" - but the liquid that comes in a spray bottle, NOT the stuff you squeeze out of a toothpaste tube-like container (there's a big difference, for some reason). Lasts a good long time, too.

Sortkwik works well, but does not last very long for me.

Give Zim's a try. Everyone's different, though. You'll get lots of possible solutions doing ejohn's search suggestion.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
I agree with Chessmann, Zim's Crack cream in the sparay bottle workds great for me. The only place I have ever been able to find it is at CVS. It's original application is for cracked heels so try looking where they keep all applications for feet.

David
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Oh, yes, David, you reminded me of the fact that when I go to look for Zims (spray bottle) I usually find it in a different section of the store from the hand creams. However, sometimes it will be with the hand treatments, so if you look for it and don't see it, you should ask Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I sell a product called Manip-Quick. Excellent for card manipulators with dry hands!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
A very small amount of hair gel.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Attach the sortkwik to the inside of a jacket (or two, one on each side) by hot gluing a safety pin to the back. Then you can adjust your jacket and swipe your fingers on the sortkwik at the same time. It doesn't last too long, so you may have to apply the stuff more than once in a longer set. But it's cheap, and works fine. (Temporarily)
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Golden Touch
Trini Montes
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
There are song long-lasting dental hand creams as well. Glove-n-care is one that comes to mind.

Pretty much any hand cream that promises to provide "long-lasting relief" for dry hands should work. Go to the sample section at Wal-Mart or K-Mart. They sell the little travel size for $1 or so...that way you don't go broke while trying to find one that works for you....
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
A solution of half glycerin and half water. Shake well.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
EldonFowler
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EldonFowler
I find just using a hand sanitizer gel works fine, and keeps your hands clean.

Also, a lot of the oils and creams can reduce the life of cards, just as the natural oils in everyone's hands. Whereas hand sanitizer won't.

Try it out.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"O'Keeffe's Working Hands"

(Sorry, could not find any "O'Keeffe's Self-Working Hands")

Here:

http://www.okeeffescompany.com/
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I find that hand sanitizer is a source of drying my hands with the alcohol in it. I use a LOT of it in my day job in a professional kitchen . . . washing hands 10 to 12 times in 4 hours, plus hand sanitizer, plus flour . . . gonna find some hand lotion in the travel section!!
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
This subject AGAIN?

Vagisil.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 16:24, EldonFowler wrote:
I find just using a hand sanitizer gel works fine, and keeps your hands clean.

Also, a lot of the oils and creams can reduce the life of cards, just as the natural oils in everyone's hands. Whereas hand sanitizer won't.

Hand sanitizers strip away the natural skin oils, which give the necessary tack people need to work with cards. It may be ok for those whose hands are quite tacky, however, for people who already have extremely dry hands, hand sanitizers would only make a bad situation worse.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Drink lots of water. If you're not well hydrated, it's more difficult to have any moisture in your hands.

And every morning, rub in a dab of this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Norwegi......00052YP6
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Barry, staying hydrated is good advice. The Neutrogena product is excellent for daily hand care. Especially in the winter, in a dry climate. I try to remember to use it every day. However, I find it leaves my hands too slippery, when freshly applied. For use when I am actually working with cards, I find the Chamberlain's Golden Touch to work quite well.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
FWIW, the Neutrogena product leaves your hands feeling a bit sticky after you apply it. (This is in contrast to most other hand creams that leave your hands feeling slick.) I apply the hand cream after showering. By the time that I'm performing, my hands have just the right amount of moisture. (Because of differences between people's skin, this regime may not work for you. You're going to have to do some experimenting to find a procedure that works for you.)

In case of emergency, I also carry a small spray bottle in my bag that has a mixture of isopropyl alcohol, glycerin, and rose water. Any resemblance between the results obtained by my mixture and Chamberlain's Golden Touch is purely coincidental, of course. Smile
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What's Your Solution for Dry Hands In Card Work? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL