The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Albertson / Wong Straight jacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Saw the ad for this. No mention of this being available in different sizes. There is a lot of discussion in this forum of getting the proper size for you, but this seems to be a "one size fits all" item. Anyone familiar with this?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I emailed for more info, but am waiting for a reply.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
albertson
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of albertson
Hi Paul Albertson here. Ros emailed me asking Qs. With his OK here's the Qs & Short Answer.

Hi Paul,
I've just seen your straitjacket that you've released alongside Alan Wong and was wondering if you had any more info on it?
As a pro EA myself I'm always interested in new escape props that get released, as you know there are so few.
What intrigues me the most is the "double secured" aspect of the jacket. In all the ad blurb on the various websites I've seen it advertised it doesn't go in to that much detail. In fact its only mentioned in the online trailer come to think of it. . . .

Hi Roslyn,
Thanks for enquiring about The Double Secured Gaffed Strait Jacket Escape"
You know you're right, after it ad and trailer went out, I realized the "Double Secured" name was never explained!!!
I'm crazy busy so . . . The short answer is:
Perhaps there should have been more "benefits" listed; "Jacket is Double Gaffed!"; And "Adjustable Gaff is Double Secured" .
Does that explains the name?
The Long detailed answer coming; If you're interested.
Peace, Paul.
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
Anyone have a review of this?
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone have a pic. site or price on this.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
I'm crazy busy so . . . The short answer is:
Perhaps there should have been more "benefits" listed; "Jacket is Double Gaffed!"; And "Adjustable Gaff is Double Secured" .
Does that explains the name?
The Long detailed answer coming; If you're interested.Peace, Paul.

Is it just me, or is anyone else just as confused as ever?

I wonder how "crazy busy" he still is when he sees someone waving money in his face?
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Got mine two days ago. The ad does not do this justice. Very well made. Thank you Paul.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Could you review it please?

Also, any chance of seeing some actual images of the sj? I've not managed to find any simple pics showing front/back of it.

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
All of this secret handshake stuff over a gaffed jacket is starting to make me dizzy.
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The ad copy states: "Fits in a carry-on bag".... But it doesn't state how it will probably be confiscated by security.

The ad copy states: "Traditional straight jacket escapes use either a real straight jacket and years of professional practice, or use a gaffed jacket with professional acting". ... I believe both statements may be a bit over-reaching.

My opinion is certainly subject to change if there is something really new and special in the construction considering that it can be turned inside-out and tried-on by a spectator.
StrangeAnimus
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of StrangeAnimus
I purchased this straight jacket through a local shop. Its theatrical (see attached picture). I do greatly appreciate that is very well made. The canvas is very heavy and great quality. Solid stitching and the embellishments are very nice and solid. I was surprised the fit is very good. Did not come with a size option or any indication of size. It is a little large on me through the midsection (but fit me well through the hips and chest so should fit most average men (considering I have a slighter build than the average male, however a curvy figure). If you’re under 5'7" and a male of slighter build, it may not be a good fit. The ad says "fits in a carry-on bag" as Leslie says, but security issues aside, don’t think you’ll be carrying it with you everywhere (who doesn’t? ha); this is a heavy weight piece, and that should be a good credit to it.

The mechanism gaff is nicely concealed, and I put it on one of my staff and they didn’t notice it. Frankly though, the method of concealment got in my way, namely the sound of it. I wish it were done a different way because one person noticed the noise (though played it off as fabric straining, haha). I will likely alter the jacket and remove the current concealment method and change it to something quieter, but the idea is right. Also wish the internal metal piece were instead just a leather loop... More malleable and a layman probably would not really think twice combined with the snap (which is a nice feature) that its anything more than the internal construction, if they even get that close to it.

Downside for me is no belly straps. They keep it open I’m guessing for a performer to do over the head, but even with a good show of struggling, to me that just doesn’t look very good in comparison to other escapes. Id much prefer to have the straps around the arms. But that is personal preference; just know it doesn’t have these.

Overall, a very well constructed jacket- looks good, heave material, nice details, the buckles on the back are easy to deal with and heavy, the gaffing is well concealed and solid. Like the snap, don’t really like the concealment material choice for noise reasons. Its a good jacket that will definitely last. I feel good about the price paid for the quality. I will likely alter it by adding some straps at the belly and changing a couple small things, but those are really simple, personal customizations that aren’t a huge deal. I’m pretty happy to add it to my collection.

Click here to view attached image.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Why would you would make a gaf that makes a noise like that? I don't know!

More pictures .......

Can you do a picture of it inside out as it says it can be turned inside out.

Did you mention a curvy figure? Pictures welcome ..... I trust you so I'll go first after all mine is curvy too .......

http://flameretardantfag.tumblr.com/post......at-belly

(That's not really me by the way! - despite what the wife says and I suspect yours is less hairy? We wont judge you if it is! Smile only joking have a merry Christmas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Albertson / Wong Straight jacket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL