The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Should magic and hypnosis be used in conjunction? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It's ok you don't have to be a good hypnotist to be on this forum.

Infact for many its a pre-requisit not to be one. They will try and tell you its progress and advancement of the art. Infact you don't even need an audience just hijack passersby in the street or in a bar.

>>>>As to the original question, in my view, there is no reason why hypnosis and magic can't share the stage. But, there is no reason why they should. One should not have to rely on the other. <<<

STAGE? who needs a stage the tiolette is a good enough place to perform....

According to the new wave brigade.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
While I agree with the sentiment of never taking shows you can't finish and finish strong, the law of large numbers tells us that if you do 6 a week, for long enough, you WILL have one of those shows eventually.

Now do I think you should end the show with some idiotic card trick in the disguise of mentalism trying to pass it off as hypnosis? OH GOD NO!

Do I think you should leave the stage, and admit defeat? OH GOD NO!

But I do think that you have to finish the show. The show MUST go on. I personally have an "emergency show" which consists of 'hypno tricks' which look like hypnosis. Matter of fact once they have done a few, it is possible to guide them into trance work. IT CAN happen.

Bottom line is you, in my view, should finish the show as a "hypnotist".

So preparation is essential, always is. But also prepare for things to be less than perfect, for one day they will.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Read the Bible its full of examples of magical trickery being combined with Suggestion or Hypnosis

And it was so impressive thatit started a religion.

Don't wish to offend anyone but just another point of view.

And I personally believe that hypnotic techniques used correctly in the presentation of magic make it more truly magical to the audience.

Stage Hypnosis wise I do a routine where the person who is hypnotised truly thinks their jacket is on fire whilst I perform the Cig in jacket routine which the audience enjoy as a magical trick which is made even funnier by the hypnotised persons reaction as if their jacket ws truly on fire and afterwards when they think there is a hole in the coat when the audience know that it is fine which gets the laugh.

Just one of the many examples of magical hypnosis routines I do in my shows.

Cheers

Stuart
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Perfect example of what gives our profession a bad name. You truly believe that creating an illusion of their clothes on fire is funny. More like the makings of a bad abreaction. You don't know if they have been burned before, saved from a burning building or in my case having had a 1/2 pound of gun powder explode in your hand. I really wish people would consider the safety, mental included, of those that have been nice enough to volunteer to make their show a success.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I agree, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

"Read the Bible its full of examples of magical trickery being combined with Suggestion or Hypnosis

And it was so impressive thatit started a religion. "

Also photo-wizard, the bible in your opinion is full of magical trickery. You state it like trickery has been proven to be in the bible. You don't want to offend but just another point of view, please use that in your opening statement. Why is it that religion seems to always get brought into a thread that is not about religion? No offense but its just that usually its just a blatant statement like this that iginte the flames.

For me, hypnosis gives mentalism a relief from mere trickery in the audience eyes.
I don't have to explain or lie, at the worse double talk is used after the gig.

Candin
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I see no problem with magic and hypnosis in the same show. One Irish performer, Adrian Knight, does a very good illusion show as an opener for his hypnosis. It works for him.
But I think mentalism and hypnosis are a far more natural match. I can't speak for other markets, but over here bookers expect a full two hour show, and I think that two hours of hypnosis runs the risk of being a bit boring. So I like to begin with some mentalism. I normally open with some gags, then maybe bank night or invisible deck, and perhaps a Russian Roulette routine. I do one with four exploding toilets, and it is great for a college or pub audience, but not so good for a more sober audience. After twenty to forty minutes I am ready to do the hypnosis. The audience are warmed up, and they get a varied show.
My first exposure to hypnosis was Raveen on a tour of Ireland. His first half consisted of a strong mentalism routine, which blew me away. Then the hypnosis was great. My next exposure to hypnosis was on a family holiday on the Isle of Man. I think the guy was called Korma. Again it was a mentalism first half, followed by a hypnosis second half. I loved it.
The show I am working on at the moment is inspired by those two great shows. The first half will open with me in white tie and white tux, doing purely mentalism, ending on a Q&A. The second half will open with me in black tux, black shirt and red tie, doing the hypnosis.
VirtualGuy wrote that we should never put ourselves in the position of having a show that can fail. Unfortunately that is not always possible. I always say no to small gigs in unsuitable venues, but sometimes accidents dictate what sort of show you can do. I was booked to do a big hotel in a popular holiday resort a few years ago. I arrived and there was a huge crowd outside. I was delighted. But when I walked on stage, there were thirteen people in the audience. The big crowd was for the funeral of a popular teenage sports star, killed in a traffic accident. I still had to do the show.
For potential disasters I always have a magic out with me. I can end a show on a good card routine ending with a funny cards across, which gets the audience involved. That is my out. I have only had to use it once, but it is always there for me. After I have done my mentalism, tried and failed to get volunteers, and ended on my out, I have given over an hour of entertainment. So the bottom line is there is no harm in mixing magic and hypnosis.
As for magic and mentalism - a big no-no. But that's a different story.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nice post Tony, welcome back. I hope to always use some form hypnosis even if its pseudo. Now its the reverse, with a hypno show, always some of mentalism to open it. So nice to have outs then never a disaster.

Candin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Never a disaster? I can imagine no larger disarster than promising a hypnosis show and doing cards across.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2009-05-23 09:20, Dannydoyle wrote:
Never a disaster? I can imagine no larger disarster than promising a hypnosis show and doing cards across.

In fifteen years I have used the out only once. I was booked to do a show for hotel employees, and no one told me they were all non-national workers. Most were Philipino, and they had very limited English. In addition they were unfamiliar with the whole concept of a hypnosis show. They all got a show and they enjoyed it. A disaster would have been if I had walked off the stage and not given them a show.
In our early days, when we are playing unsuitable venues, we can all hit an off night, often through no fault of our own. We can have shows that were badly promoted, with only a handfull in the audience. Or family events with huge tensions where nobody will volunteer. I don't walk off the stage; I have my out. What do you do, Danny? Or perhaps you are perfect and have never faced a tiny crowd with no volunteers?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Should magic and hypnosis be used in conjunction? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL