The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Seated Topit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ancientmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson AZ
112 Posts

Profile of ancientmagic
I hope this thread is not a repeat of another, but I have a question that I have searched and the results have not been exactly what I wanted. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good source for using a topit while seated for close-up magic. I know there are claims that Fitch's DVDs and Jay Scott Barry's work can be used seated. I am looking for something that could be used in conjunction wit lapping.

Thanks, John
"In victory you deserve champagne…in defeat you need it!" –Napoleon Bonaparte
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually, what you are asking about is the use of the lap as a topit. There is no need for a topit if you are seated. Unfortunitely, Ron Wilson is no longer with use. He use to sell a device that may be what you are looking for, he called it a portable servante. The book "The uncanny Scot Ron Wilson" may not be available in the open market. The book is full of wonderful classic close-up magic and you may find his device suitable for your use. I believe the device was also featured in a old Genii Magazine article.

Please note: Tales from the Uncanny Scott is not the same book I am referencing.

After searching Richard Kaufman books published, it looks like the book is out of print.

You may also want to study the Slydini books for the use of the lap as a topit.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Wmhegbli,

I totally agree with you. Another magician which used a lot of lapping was the regretable Gary Ouellet. A few good techniques with misdirections are shown in his book "Close Up Illusions". but the king of lapping and the misdirection was of course Slydini.

Oliver.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
John, Bill's (wmhegbli's) information is spot on.

In the introduction to The Uncanny Scot Ron Wilson you'll find information regarding what he calls a "portable servante" and what author Richard Kaufman calls "a different kind of holdout." There is a drawing of the device and three photos of Ron wearing it together with a description and instructions for its use.

My hunch is that it's exactly what you're looking for.
ancientmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson AZ
112 Posts

Profile of ancientmagic
Thanks everyone. Actually I am very familiar with lapping and Slydini's methods. There are times when working at a three-quarter round or completely surrounded...that a topit might come in handy.

wmhegbli, I had been thinking about the use of a small table servante, something like Andrus used, however, the problem remains the same as using the lap under some conditions.

I have seen many magicians work close up and load out of their pockets and quite frankly...there is usually a tell or what I call a "hiccup" in the movement.

Once again I appreciate all your kind help.

Best

John
"In victory you deserve champagne…in defeat you need it!" –Napoleon Bonaparte
EldonFowler
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EldonFowler
I would suggests checking out "The Devils Picturebook" by Derren Brown. There is great advice about how to topit whilst sitting down, no table and impromptu. It can be ordered through his personal site.

Eldon Fowler
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 05:08, Oliver Ross wrote:
Wmhegbli,

I totally agree with you. Another magician which used a lot of lapping was the regretable Gary Ouellet. A few good techniques with misdirections are shown in his book "Close Up Illusions". but the king of lapping and the misdirection was of course Slydini.

Oliver.

Regretable? Can you elaborate/clarify?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5304 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I wondered about that comment too, Doc. Hopefully it's just a poor use of the word. IMO Gary Oullet is anything but regrettable!

Thanks!

Jim
howlinhobbit
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
53 Posts

Profile of howlinhobbit
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 15:08, Donal Chayce wrote:
In the introduction to The Uncanny Scot Ron Wilson you'll find information regarding what he calls a "portable servante" and what author Richard Kaufman calls "a different kind of holdout." There is a drawing of the device and three photos of Ron wearing it together with a description and instructions for its use.

dang! sounds like exactly the thing I need. alas, I am unable (and unwilling for that matter) to pay $275 and up for the book.

(used to do the Slydini thing, but my shape seems to have changed too much over the years.) :-p
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Perhaps he said "regrettable" because Ouelette has died. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
917 Posts

Profile of Martino
Chuck Fayne uses a device while seated that allows him to dump objects which have been lapped. When he stands up the device disappears leaving no awkward cleanup. Whilst not a topit it may be more what you are looking for. It's on his "Chuck Fayne LIVE" DVD if I remember correctly.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sounds like Fayne is using Ron Wilson's device.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
917 Posts

Profile of Martino
Regretably I haven't seen the Ron Wilson device so cannot comment but it shounds like it could well be the same.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1760 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Ron's portable, seated Topit is described in detail in The Uncanny Scott. Great book.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
You might also check out Okito's version from 'Okito on Magic' by Robert Parrish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Seated Topit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL