The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Your opinion on this routine please. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I have been thinking about this effect for a while. Tell me what you think please;

Unbinding

Salem, Massachusetts, in 1692. One hundred and eighty five were accused of witchcraft. Many died in the cleansing of the village of Witches. Funny thing is the name Salem was taken from the Hebrew word shalom, meaning peace. Not much peace was found.
The witch accusations began in Salem after a slave by the name of Tituba had told stories of voodoo from her native land of Barbados. The young girls, mainly Betty and Abigail Williams, were caught up in these stories and started dabbling in the unknown. The story goes that the Williams girls, along with their friends, made a makeshift crystal ball by floating an egg in a glass of water, as they had seen Tituba do. One of the girls thought she saw an image of a coffin in the glass of water, and with this they became scared.
Betty and the other girls supposedly started having fits in January. The Reverend John Hale witnessed the fits. The symptoms of the fits also included loss of hearing, speech, and sight, loss of memory, loss of appetite; hallucinations, and sensations of being pinched by invisible hands and bitten by invisible mouths. Doctors could not find a medical reason for the girls’ strange behavior. They concluded that Betty and the other girls were bewitched.
The relatives of the afflicted girls tried different alternatives to obtain answers. Mary Sibley, the aunt of one of the afflicted girls, called on Tituba with a plan to allegedly use magic to unmask the witches. Witchcraft to seek out the witches. Not real logical. But people caught up in hysteria rarely are. The girls of course had a mericialas recovery and told the authorities about Tituba.
Tituba was called before the grand council (their words not mine) and accused of being a witch and was sentenced to be hung by the neck until dead. As this sentence was handed down the two girls, Betty and Abigail Williams began to have “hallucinations, and sensations of being pinched by invisible hands and bitten by invisible mouths.”
So great was the fear of Tituba’s powers that none dare lay hand on her. It is said not rope could bind her nor fire affect her. Silly superstitions or fact? Lets find out.
As she was hung, Although she was dead, part of her magic was left on the rope. Here I have part of the rope used in her hanging (Show an old rope with a hangman’s knot on it. Do cut and restored rope.)
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
sounds like a fine lead in, Good story, and I am sure you would use some wicked looking scissors or old knife to do the cutting with... Would you add anything about the rope being kept somewhere special? or being buried along side her, or such, allowing for the use of a welll aged container or such to priduce the rope from? My only other thought , is there more information about the final "resting" place? if she was subsequently burned, (perhaps a whiff of smoke), or if she was buried, she may still "shift form time to time" (A bit of sublte animation of the rope after restoration might be startling, after most think the work is all done!)

All in all a really good story! though you probably thought of the container aspect already!

Kay
Smile
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17588 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Perhaps after doing the Cut and Restored rope you could have little bite marks on your hand as a kicker.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
It would be advisable to do the routien as you are holding the audience with the story. Bizzarists will tell you that thier art can be difficult if you have an audience with a short attention span. However, this is a great story and after thinking about it, it does sound like a very good way to do a darker and more exiting act! Should be a big hit around Halloween!
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Dave,

Dr. Sawa's idea of making a rope literally disintegrate in your fingers might even be better. See the book on him for the method.

I use the same method in a routine about the critter from Alien and its acid blood eating through the hull of a ship...

The link to Tituba's not being able to be held by any rope would link to this method EXTREMELY well, IMPO.

Take a look at it - it's an overlooked and underused technique that, if played properly, can scare the pogees out of someone.

Kind regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Cool story WR, I'm impressed (i always am with your stuff).

Perhaps you could do that old untying rope thing? Mention that they tried to hang her, and the loop in the rope unties it's self?

I'll have a play

Liam.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Of historical interest?

There were two parishes competing for 'flocks' there and then.

There's good reason to suspect the grainery had rotton grain and some had become tainted with some organics that are psychoactive.

Perhaps then, it would be the bread ... ??

And perhaps getting an egg resting on the bottom of a glass of water to suddenly bob to the surface would connect to the story. "Knowlege of good and evil" sort of thing.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
213 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
Tituba was hung? Smile

I think you mean "hanged."

If not, then you have a whole other type of show--more of a sideshow really.

I was hanged every night in a show years ago, but I never corrected anyone when they asked me what it was like to be hung.

Forgive the grammar geek in me.

S.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Now Sean,
MY edition of Websters says Hang, vt. hung, hang'ing, hanged all refer to being suspended or attached to something form above, with no support form below, seems to fit either way you care to use it! (it also includes pasting (wallpaper) to walls, that one might be painful for you!
Though I will say it is true that the historical usage was more to the phrase of someone sentanced to be hanged by the neck until dead, as opposed to be sentanced to be hung, but It seems, according to Webster, that either phrase would be correct! Smile
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
"So great was the fear of Tituba’s powers that none dare lay hand on her. It is said not rope could bind her nor fire affect her. Silly superstitions or fact? Lets find out."

How about an ornate flip over box. Introduce the rope from the box (actually flash cord), a wooden match, and a picture of Tituba (on flash paper). As in burning an effigy we will see if her image still holds power today.
Place the noose (flash cord) around her neck and dangle it above the table. (It would be nice if you had a nice plate sized pentacle to do this over) Strike the match. Light the base of the effigy. It will all go up in a flash. (This would be a great place for an other worldly sound effect of screaming with a promise to return.) Say I suppose Tituba was just a good story teller. Blow out the match and reach for the box to deposit the burnt match. As you open the box the noose, Tituba's effigy, and an unburned match lay inside. (Again this would be a great place for a nice sound effect as of a beating heart and a sigh.)
Slam the lid down and reach into your bag and get a chain and wrap around it and top it off with a lock.
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
theoldfort
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of theoldfort
I'm well hanged
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Good lead in but I too agree with Mr. Grimm in that you should introduce the rope earlier in the story, or perhaps place the rope in an old and curious box which you lovingly handle as you tell the tale.
Also since the type of rope you use to hang a person with is considerably stouter than your typical magicians rope cut and restored rope may not be the best effect to use. Have you considered ropes through the body? You could play on the classic trial by ordeal motif and test to see if a spectator is innocent of the charges of witchcraft by having the ropes penetrate her body.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
Or, perhaps, a version of the "roped" routiene? Since no rope can bind and all? It would also put a bit of levity in an otherwise dark act. Not comedy but at least enough to make the spectators compfortable enough to let you call on them later! I had a lot of problems with that in the past.
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
How about you put the rope around someones neck and just like Tituba the rope penetrates straight through her neck. ???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Your opinion on this routine please. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL