The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » My first real day selling worms... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
I actually took the plunge today..at least part of the plunge...I set up to sell worms! I had enlarged the article about the "royal worm", printed it out and put that, with an 8" X 10" enlargement of the little girl on the front of my table. But there was light from behind me (I'm at a flea market) so it was very hard to see the pix. And even if I called attention to them, most people didn't know what I was talking about. Scratch that idea.

But I did have 4 worms ready to work with, (I thot!). I broke the IT on the 1st one immediately, the 2nd I actually did sell 1 worm before the IT broke but when I went to use one of the other 2, I discovered that I had tangled them together, and simply COULD not get them apart. I tried to tie some more but with the wind and my nervous hands, just didn't get the job done. So I did cards exclusively. But even those didn't go well today, maybe because of Mother's Day tomorrow.

Tonite I'm doing what Seth suggests--gonna put at least 6 of them them together then wrap the IT on some slotted cards. That will keep them apart and ready for use. I can tell ya, I'd better sell 'em--I just ordered 2 gross! Smile

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey Jon -- Go to K-Mart or a hardware store and buy one of those little rectangular plastic "fly" containers that fishermen use. Get one that has 6 or 8 small compartments; it shouldn't cost you more than a couple of bucks.

As you get each worm threaded up, put it in one of the compartments. Put the paper-clipped end of the thread in first, then the rest of the thread, and then lay the worm on top of it. This helps to keep the thread from getting tangled up. And the separate compartments will help to keep the worms from getting tangled up in each other.

For insurance, I would do at least six worms in advance, more if you have the patience. I usually go through 3 or 4 worms in one pitch day, for various reasons.

The slitted playing card is to keep the rest of the unused IT from getting tangled and knotted. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my PM to you. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Go get'em Jon !!!!!!!

Don
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Nice try Jon. Live and learn my friend. You'll do MUCH better the next time out, I just know it!!

Mark. Smile
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I've used the same worm for six months without ever having to re-tie it ... using IT is just a complete waste of your time! Look for a spool of "transparent nylon". They used to sell it at Wal-Mart, but I think Wal-Mart discontinued fabrics.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Michaels has it. .002 nylon thread. Black and clear.

I use whatever comes with the worm and a dark ash gray shirt.
-Matt
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Quote:
I use whatever comes with the worm and a dark ash gray shirt.

Some good advice came from Seth B. somewhere on this forum...wear a plaid shirt, because it confuses the eye and makes the thread even more invisible

./sam
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I had cataract surgery on both eyes last summer.The doctor had to stich up the eye.I asked him what he used.He said 10-0 nylon suture that can be found at medical supply stores.He said it was real strong and very thin.

I haven't looked into it yet but it sounds like it might be promising.

Don

Oh the surgery worked out great...I now have 20/20 in each eye.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I have to say, Don's tip (from his lecture and DVD) on the rope
from your local hardware store usually does well; but, it's
little bit of work and has served me well in strength and
invisibility.

Today, I was simply lazy but luckily had the Squirmal (they're
pre-tied) and I just used those. Being my first time out in the
season (spent most of the season busking; simply just can't do
both) I busted them but I looked at it as being rusty...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » My first real day selling worms... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL