The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Pitching at a BOR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Last night I tried something a little different -- selling magic tricks after a magic show (also known as "BOR" for "Back Of The Room").

A local magician was doing a kids' show at the local school, and I arranged with him to set up my pitch table in the back of the auditorium. He was the expert in doing kids' stage shows, while I was the expert in pitching close-up stuff. We agreed to split the pitch proceeds 70% for me and 30% for him.

This was a "win-win" for both of us because I paid nothing up front for the spot, and he would make extra money without doing any work. The announcement about "magic tricks for sale" was made at the beginning of the show and again at intermission.

After the show I had an immediate and enthusiatic tip of about 30 kids crowded around the pitch table, with the parents watching from behind. I put Willie the Magic Worm through his paces and was literally showered with $5 bills after the first demo. I then did the Svengali Pitch for the older kids and parents, and was greeted with another shower of $10 bills! I finished up with the Coin Slide for the kids that wanted another trick, and did very well with that, too.

I had to be at the school an hour before showtime to set up, then sat through the one-hour magic show (which was pretty good, BTW). But I then did about three hours' worth of normal pitch business in 30 minutes or less. Well worth my while, and of course no complaints from my 30% partner, either. Talk about working to a "targeted audience" ! But if I did it again, I think I would shoot for a 75/25 split if possible.

Anyway, it's definitely something for the pitch folks to think about . . . . SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Thurston,Blackstone,Siegfrieg&Roy,Lance Burton,Stan Kramien and I'm sure lots more I don't know about have pitched magic at their show and have done very well doing it.

You can also do the pitch off the stage and have people go though the audience with the decks and worms or what ever and do the sales that way.Thats called " butchering the tip". Also a magic coloring book is good to pitch at magic shows.NOT the magic magic book but just a coloring book with magicians inside doing illisions for the small kids to color.You can get them for about $1.00 each.I have forgotten the name of the company that sells them.Maybe someone here knows the name.

Don
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Oh,forgot...good going Seth !

Don
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Lance Gifford sells the coloring books now, as well as the appearing wands. http://appearingwand.com

I got one from him today at a fair, its great. About 14x10, good artwork and has some easy tricks to learn in the back.
-Matt
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Last year at the Virginia State fair they had a magician that would pitch various items before after during and after his show.
I can only remember two of his items.
One was the magic coloring book and the other pitch item was a picture of yourself with his snake.

I think his coloring book drew the most sales. (no pun intended).
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
That was Lance Gifford.

I have been making up my own book of easy to do magic tricks, but the one he sells, is the best value for the price. It is a HUGE book
-Matt
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2011-05-07, DonDriver wrote: Oh,forgot...good going Seth!

Thank you, Don! It's much appreciated, especially coming from you.

But as I've often said before, you're the guy who taught me everything I know!! SETH
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
If you need the coloring books that Don is referring to please call Barb at Spotlight Graphics and ask her for the Magic Coloring Books they cost .48 a piece in lots of 250 the website is http://www.spotlightgraphics.com - tell Barb that Sam sent you...this place has awesome products!

./sam
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Seth,

I am not sure there is a huge demand for it from the magician's perspective.

Usually, I do the show and then the kids follow me to the BOR table and line up and buy the stuff. There is no need to demo anything. They just line up, give me the cash and I give them the stuff (I sell magic books). In fact, anything that slows down the line loses me sales since there isn't much time. Like you said, 30 minutes is the most you a going to have.

If it is a large audience, I usually ask a couple of the PTA moms to help me and they do it for free, so I don't see any advantage in paying someone 70%!!!

Sorry, I just don't see any advantage for the performer. Unless you find one who is just completely clueless about BOR.

Best,
James
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
James -- I agree that you don't need to demo a magic book. But a Magic Worm is another matter, at least in my opinion.

I'm sure lots of magis do their own BOR's; I was just trying something out for a change of pace. I figured that if somebody didn't want the hassle of buying, transporting and storing inventory, this would be a good way for them to earn some extra bucks without doing any additional work. SETH
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I am not saying it can't work, I am just thinking it is a tough sell to the magician.

What if you approached the school and offered to do this as a fundraiser at their family picnic, carnival or sports day? You could offer to give them 20% of your sales. Sorry if this has been suggested before.

Best,
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Pitching at a BOR (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL