The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Theatrical Magic for a production of "The Winter's Tale" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
58 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
Also posted this over at the Grand Illusions forum:

I have been performing and studying magic for a little over 15 years, and am currently completing full-time actor training at the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) in Sydney, Australia.

We have just begun rehearsals for our Second Year production of Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale". In the roles of Autolycus (rogue, peddlar, and trickster), and Time, our director wants me to incorporate a good deal of theatrical magic into the play.

I am looking for methods, manuscripts, lecture notes, any sources and ideas, for achieving the Floating Light Bulb effect, and potentially a spinning/floating gramaphone record (Cleomines and Dion return and "play" the record as the prophesy of the Oracle of Delphi). We are working in a fully-equiped theatre, with highly skilled lighting, design, and production students and teachers, so any major rigging or lighting considerations won't be an issue.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be hugely appreciated!
Best Regards,
Darcy
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For the Floating Light Bulb, buy the booklet "Burling Hull's Miracle Floating Light Bulb". If you need the actual Floating Light Bulb, you can purchase that from Abbott's Magic. http://www.abbottmagic.com They sell the the book as well.

Never witnessed a floating Gramaphone, so you are on your own there.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
58 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
Thank you for the advice. Very much appreciated! I'd been looking at the Abbott's light bulb, and have read that it is the model - or very similar - used by Harry Blackstone. Intrigued, needless to say! Will certainly look into it.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Have sent a long PM to you. Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Theatrical Magic for a production of "The Winter's Tale" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL