The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Army of One by Rus Andrews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1842 Posts

Profile of Prager
Spectator is asked if they believe in fate?

A prediction is placed in front of them and a blue deck of cards is introduced.

All the cards are shown front and back.

Spectator is then asked to place the deck behind their back and to reverse any playing card in the deck so neither they or you can know its identity.

The cards are now bought back out and spread to show exactly which card they had randomly reversed.

THIS MATCHES YOUR PREDICTION.

And to add one further kicker.

The one reversed card is the only RED BACKED card in the deck with the word FATE written on the back.

All examinable.
Ends clean.

I will send 5 copies for review.
First 5 PM will get them.

It is avaliable as an instant download at MentalShocks
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
PM SENT!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
PM sent as well. Excited to see this one. Thanks
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I too sent a PM...Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I have received a review copy of Army of One and have read it. It is only 4 pages so I have been able to digest it quickly (although have not performed it). Let me be clear 4 pages is all that is needed to explain this effect. It is that simple and direct. The effect plays out exactly as described. I was immediately drawn to Army of One after hearing the description---these type of effects stun spectators. When I read the orignal effect I assumed some sort of gaff was needed. You use a normal deck of cards! Rus has shown some really simple but brilliant thinking in creating this effect (he has credited the effect propertly). There is some sleight of hand that is required but it is one that most will be familiar with and is well worth the effort to perform this miracle. Rus gives various handlings (i.e magician, mentalist, impromptu, etc) that is extremely helpful. Finally and importantly to me, you end clean. If you like the description of this effect, I highly recommend it. I was not dissapointed and again Rus shows that he has one of the best minds in magic.
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
I can categorically say that this effect will blow your socks off, whether you're a layperson or a magician - the impromptu version is just genius.
Rus is on fire at the moment, he's got the Midas touch!
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1842 Posts

Profile of Prager
The review copies are gone.

You can get Army of One at http://www.mentalshocks.com and you will also get Peeki (ungimmicked peek wallet) for FREE just today!

:)
Jose Prager

www.e-mentalism.com
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hi

Thanks Brehaut for the review, glad you like it

All the best

R
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3130 Posts

Profile of Rizzo

Army of one is a new quick 4 page ebook just released by Rus Andrews. Rus has been on fire recently releasing a few new gems to the magic community. What I like most about these releases including Army Of One is that it uses a normal deck of cards which can also be borrowed. The deck is spread face up as well as face down showing it to be exactly what it is, a deck of cards.The basic effect is a spectator freely turns over any card in the deck as it's held behind their back. The deck is spread and the only reversed card matches your prediction which has been in sight from the start. The prediction can also be given to the spectator to hold from the start. Not only do the cards match but when the freely turned over card is removed from the deck, it is seen to have an odd color back with the word fate written across it. A perfect match, a perfect prediction. Included in this ebook are additional ideas that will play for a gambler, a psychic, a mentalist, the fate routine above and another idea where the turned over card can be scorched or anything you want to have on it's back. Odd color, prediction, burn mark etc. This can also be used just to freely force a card too. There is nothing to add or take away and nothing else needed except any deck of cards. Set up and clean up are minimal,takes a second and actually all can be done impromptu. I really should not say set up as when you see this (the deck can be borrowed) you will fully understand what I mean.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
This sounds similar to Blind Luck by Dan Paulus. Was this inspired by Dan's effect?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2991 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I was fortunate enough to get one of the review copies. Thought I'd spend a couple of days working it up before performing it, but turns out that wasn't necessary. If you know the basic sleight at all, you can get this effect up to performance speed pretty quickly. It's a beautiful effect in its simplicity. It's simple to set up on the fly, it's simple for the spectator to understand, and there's really only one move which is covered by misdirection, so the method is simple as well. There's actually one additional move if you want to hand out the deck at the end, but you can spread through the deck after the finale and show all normal without doing the move if you prefer. As others have said, the basic technique can be used for a force of either a stranger or non-stranger card. I performed the basic effect four times today for co-workers and family, and got great reactions each time. The spec feels that the magic happened in their hands. They don't have to memorize anything, so this seems like one of those special card tricks that should play well with children and seniors with memory issues (assuming they can get their hands behind their backs), as well as pesky teens and adults who have partaken of the grape (or not). Simple and powerful, with a great visual kicker.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Thanks for your comments and supporting my work.

All the best

R
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17029 Posts

Profile of joseph
Ditto on MaxfieldsMagic's review. This is some great thinking, and Rus did an excellent job of explaining all the effects. This can be a formal, general close up, street magic, mentalist, or whatever you want to use it as .. Smile
Recommended...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Thanks Joseph, it's a real worker.

Try the gamble routine! Stuns

Thanks again for your comments all

R
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I was also a lucky one who received a review copy, and I can pretty much echo the statements above.  The effect is as advertised and is quite easy to do with some basic sleights.  Everything is well-motivated and clearly explained.  The production is no-frills at only 4 pages, no photos or illustrations, etc.  However, there really wasn’t much more needed than that.

Rus gives a number of ideas for presenting this, some of which will require an odd-backed card in your deck.  You can also just easily use this as a force/prediction totally impromptu with any borrowed/shuffled deck.  In each situation, you do end clean.

Yesterday, a couple of hours after I’d read the ebook, one of my coworkers asked me if I had anything new I could show him, since I’ll do the odd effect here and there.  I tried this out for him, it worked perfectly, and he was suitably impressed with my straightforward and fairly non-theatrical prediction presentation.  If you’ve been into card magic for any reasonable length of time, there’s no reason to think that you couldn’t add this to your repertoire immediately.

There’s a lot of room to adapt this, doing anything from a quickie revelation to a more involved poker presentation, which Rus does give ideas for.  He also provides a list of credits/inspirations.  To answer Sabitu’s question, Dan Paulus is not mentioned.  I’m not familiar with Dan’s effect, so I can’t say how similar or different they may be.  I can’t imagine that in the grand scheme of magicdom nobody has come up with this before, since it is pretty straightforward, but I’ve not encountered this exact method before.

Overall, this is a nice release, easy-to-do, direct, and adaptable.  Looking at the big picture of the magic market, it may not give the best bang for the buck, since many other ebooks in its price range offer many more effects.  However, many have stated that a TT is worth $100, and a good and versatile card concept can certainly be priceless if it’s something you use often.  This is definitely something I’ll use often, and I look forward to trying out some of the different presentational hooks.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1112 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
This is a simple to execute effect that can leave a big impression with your spectators.

It is well explained in the short PDF.

Nice job!
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
This is awesome, larger review to come, but for now, Rus is the man!
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of jcroop
I'm sorry to have to be the first one to be unhappy with with purchase.

It is a good effect.

But the method is found in many beginning magic books. When I read the effect I thought, 'he's not just going to just do....." But that's what it is.

You do not end clean....until after the clean up. This was the reason I purchased it, thinking perhaps you did end clean.That would have been good.

This would have been a good effect as part of a larger offering. But as is, it is way over priced.

Just my thoughts.

Jim
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hi Jim

I am sorry you are dissatisfied with your purchase, I always take time and care when researching my projects, and the closest I found to this were Blind Luck and Irreversible.

Since reading your post I have added an additional handling that enables the performer to hand the deck to the spectator and lets the spectator discover the reversed card themselves, also the deck is completely clean and fully examinable, no clean up at the end, deck can even be left with the spectator.

For all that have purchased ARMY OF ONE you will receive the additional handling via email.

I hope that you enjoy the additional handling.

Any questions or queries let me know

All the best as always

R
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1842 Posts

Profile of Prager
I have sent the additional handling.

Enjoy!
Jose Prager

www.e-mentalism.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Army of One by Rus Andrews (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL