The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » All you smart ad copy guys and or girls let me ask this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Hey I am curious how you would write this.

I am have a new post card mailer being made 8.5x11 advertising my new show. On the back I want to write something like "book before Sept 30th and get $100 off."

or

"schedule for the the 2011/2012 school year by Sept 30th and get $100 of our introductory price of xxx."

The point is I want my call to action to be getting a discount on the new show if they schedule it for the upcoming school year but want to mail it out now and then again first week of Sept. So how do you think I should write this?

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

magically yours

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's one huge post card!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
GET $100 OFF!
(Limited time offer)
Schedule your 2011/12 school show by Sept 30, 2011,
and get an instant refund of $100.
Call now - available dates are filling up fast.


Mebbe something like that?
Ed
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
We are more motivated when something is taken away from us rather than when something is given to us. Here is an interesting tactic...

Imagine you send the mailing out today (May 12th) and the postcard says, "Call before May 11th for $100 off. *if you opened this late then call within one week and we will see what we can do*"

So you intentionally send out your cards with a date that has an expired $100 off coupon. They have "received" something but it was instantly taken away from them (because the mail didn't come in time) but you still give them a chance to hurry up and call you.

Loss aversion is a known persuasion tactic and if I did mailings, I would experiment with that idea Smile

If you don't want to do that then there is nothing wrong with what you came up with. I would only change the work "book" to "call" so it says, "call before Sept 30th for $100 off." The word 'call' is a physical action they can take.
Higgenbottom
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Higgenbottom
I think Ed_Millis hit the nail on the head!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Agreed I should have said call not book. that is from my summer library show thinking that I was recently working on.

I feel know need to mess with my potential clients emotions so not wanting to go with get a discount OH you lose and then oh maybe if you call you can get it. its a t hought but not one I am game for

my clients know me and the majority of the 3 states that I am mailing this too will most likley have already heard my name or had me at their school.

Ed I agree with what you wrote I will mess with it some more and get it to my liking

thanks for the responsses and will check back later in hopes of seeing some more

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Sam -

You can also call your offer a "Quick Response Offer" or an "Early Bird Offer".

"The Early Bird gets the worm, and saves $100! Call me before September 30, 2011, and book my show for the 2011-2012 school year, and you'll save $100 off the regular price!"

A person could even go so far as to have clip art of a bird with a worm in it's beak (early bird), and even tape a gummy worm or something like that to the mailing (gummy worms are available in bulk in tubs from places like WalMart). I think in the U.S., that people can attach some things to postcards, and they'll still mail just fine.

Dramatize your idea!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I think Ed has it exactly right.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2650 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sam,

Instead of a discount coupon, you could include a check made out to yourself for the hundred dollars.
The letter explains that they can use the 'dated' check to pay the first hundred dollars. (Maybe let them use it as a deposit.)

It's much harder to trash a real looking check than a discount coupon. Smile

Just something else to think about.
Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Interesting idea, Tom!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Sam for some reason I don’t understand no one wants to use a phone any more. I would say email your reservation by September 30th and receive a $100.00 discount coupon with the confirmation to be deducted from your payment.

This is a fast answer off the top of my head, but if you like it I can work on it further to refine it.

PM me if you need more information

Buzz

Posted: May 13, 2011 12:34am
Donald,

Sam can’t use clipart, he sold his graphics program to me….

Buzz
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 17:17, Benji Bruce wrote:
We are more motivated when something is taken away from us rather than when something is given to us. Here is an interesting tactic...

Imagine you send the mailing out today (May 12th) and the postcard says, "Call before May 11th for $100 off. *if you opened this late then call within one week and we will see what we can do*"

So you intentionally send out your cards with a date that has an expired $100 off coupon. They have "received" something but it was instantly taken away from them (because the mail didn't come in time) but you still give them a chance to hurry up and call you.

Loss aversion is a known persuasion tactic and if I did mailings, I would experiment with that idea Smile

If you don't want to do that then there is nothing wrong with what you came up with. I would only change the work "book" to "call" so it says, "call before Sept 30th for $100 off." The word 'call' is a physical action they can take.


Great idea here. Anger them by sending them an expired coupon. Then show you are despirate enough by adding "we will see what we can do". Yep makes you look top notch there.

Keep those ideas comming.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Good ideas every one,.

however this is not a coupon - this is a post card mailed out to them with the call to action being book by a certain date and get a discount off the program.

eds wording is close to what I had in mind and working that idea. YUP sold the art work to Howie but I am also a graphics designer so I can whip up something if need be. I don't want to over complicate it.

Danny - I sense your sarcasim and agree with you totally! that is why I commented back that I don't want to mess with my clients emotions just does not seem right to me.

again thanks everyone and when I finish the item I will gladdly post it here for all to see. I just got back the ad copy from my writer. I wrote it but then I have a professional writer go over it to make it sound good and fix any grammer.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just do not like the idea of outright manipulating people like that. They can end up feeling used.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 09:41, Dannydoyle wrote:
I just do not like the idea of outright manipulating people like that. They can end up feeling used.

I agree with Danny and Sam, along with the fact that if the client thinks you are that disorganized with your dates and mailings, they probably would consider that your routine will mirror your poor advertising program.

Benji, how many times have you implemented this “take it away and give it back” mind game, and what was your conversion rate?

Can you post an example of this idea so we can all see how it looks?
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 17:17, Benji Bruce wrote:
We are more motivated when something is taken away from us rather than when something is given to us. Here is an interesting tactic...

Imagine you send the mailing out today (May 12th) and the postcard says, "Call before May 11th for $100 off. *if you opened this late then call within one week and we will see what we can do*"

So you intentionally send out your cards with a date that has an expired $100 off coupon. They have "received" something but it was instantly taken away from them (because the mail didn't come in time) but you still give them a chance to hurry up and call you.

Loss aversion is a known persuasion tactic and if I did mailings, I would experiment with that idea Smile

If you don't want to do that then there is nothing wrong with what you came up with. I would only change the work "book" to "call" so it says, "call before Sept 30th for $100 off." The word 'call' is a physical action they can take.

I reread your post after I posted my last comment, it seems you have never tried this concept; just gave out advice on an untested marketing idea you had no experience with yourself.

You state that Loss aversion is a known persuasion tactic; I took the time to research this and found negative results from a research study conducted by Stanford University; the results of the study is far more complicated than posting a past dated deadline.

I urge you to be very careful concerning misinformation posted here.

Posted: May 14, 2011 12:15pm
Sam,
I am curious about the reason of an 8.5” X 11” post card, why are you producing such a large card?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 12:15, Howie Diddot wrote:
Sam,
I am curious about the reason of an 8.5” X 11” post card, why are you producing such a large card?


Buzz -

Just a reminder that you asked Sam about this previously, and he answered you about it previously, on another thread. Just over a week ago (posts on May 5th and 6th). Perhaps you didn't connect these two threads to one another.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Donald;

oh...

Thanks
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have had good success using deadlines. I think it is important to list some kind of a REASON for the deadline. I also think it is important to not cave in and give the "special" price after the deadline, or the next time they will not take your offer seriously and there will not be a sense of urgency.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Special offers with deadlines work great. They tend to spur action. They can be a valuable sales tool. Intentionally sending out an expired coupon is another thing completely.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22006 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How about: "Sam Sandler is booking his school shows now for the 2011/2012, call or email for available dates. Don't miss out on this fantastic new show. As an incentive for booking early you will receive a $100 discount on the current price."

I don't like the word incentive, but maybe you can come up with a better word. I think it more important to tell them you are by your telephone taking bookings now, then to push the discount as a motivator. It is more of a gift for acting early.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » All you smart ad copy guys and or girls let me ask this (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL