The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The way to the tentalizer (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
In the book,handcrafted card magic vol1,denis berh had a chapter disccusion on how to do The way to the tentalizer setup by overhand shuffle and faro,
then perform tentalizer ad the deck will be in reverse order. But he said you can just shuffle more card when setting up the way to the tentalizer,
and after perform the tentalizer the deck will be in normal order,dose anyone work this procedure out?
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Do the same procedure as he describes but start with the deck in reverse order. The final outcome will be normal order. Make sense?

D
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
High,Doug McKenzie,thanks for your reply.
I don't want to start with the deck in reverse order. I want to be able to do the similar shuffle sequence infront of the audience with out having to reverse the deck order first. Denis behr said in the book that there is also shffling sequence so that after performing the tantalizer,the deck will return to original order,but he did not describe how to do so.
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
It is taught very briefly on his lecture dvd released by international magic:-
http://www.internationalmagic.com/acatal......DVD.html
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
703 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
The procedure on the DVD is actually the same one that is in the book. It's the only one I use, since I usually use the whole thing as a transition to the inverse stack. I did not describe an alternate shuffling procedure in the book, because I thought it would be a nice exercise for the reader. Well, since I couldn't find my notes about this, I had to do it myself and after fifteen minutes of fumbling, I found something again. Here it is in very brief notation, but since you know the book, I'm sure you can follow along:
- Hold deck face-down with the two breaks as in the original procedure, but from the back this time.
- Do the two slip cuts as in the original procedure.
- Cut six cards from the back to the face.
- Hold the deck in face-down (!) overhand shuffle position and shuffle a single card (!), followed by six times the top and bottom together (Milk Build). Throw the rest on top but retain a jog.
- Take the 13 cards you just overhand shuffled in such a complex way and out faro them in the rest.
- Reverse the order of the bottom 26 cards via overhand shuffle (this can be done at the very beginning as well. This cannot be replaced and is the reason that it is more work to do it the way you want.)
- Do a perfect in faro shuffle (check: the card that was the face card of the original stack must now be on top).
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Wow,I am so glad to recieve the answer from the author.
I've tried it out and it worked.
Thanks Denis Behr,your work is so inspiring.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
I have a variation that people might find of some interest.

Even Money

Effect: A selected card (say the nine of diamonds) is lost in the deck, which the magician fairly deals into two piles – one for the spectators/bettors, one for himself. Even though there's a 50% chance the card lies in the spectators' pile, the magician offers a four-to-one-pay off. The magician takes his own 26 cards and deals two more piles, offering to pay a bettor eight-to-one should she put money on the spectators' 13 card pile, and this continues with the piles shrinking to 7, 3, and 2 with the payoffs rising proportionately.

Finally, the magician offers to pay “even money” if the selection is in any of the five piles laid out in front of the spectators. They have “an army of 51” against the magician's lonesome card.

Alas, the performer reveals he dealt himself the selection – “but normally I wouldn't want something like the nine of diamonds. I'd rather have..." He turns over the top card of each pile to reveal a royal flush in spades.

Method: In order to get the royal flush kicker, you will need to move the relevant five cards into positions 26, 39, 46, 49, and 51.

Comments: I prefer this over the straight handling because something is happening during the tedious dealing process. There's a little more participation and interest. Plus, of course, something unexpected happens -- a kicker which makes sense within the context of the routine, and is more impressive than locating the selection.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The way to the tentalizer (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL