We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Anyone In The US? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LSJ
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of LSJ
I have seen several people on here who say they can escape from a regulation Posey straitjacket with their arms strapped through all three loops—but they all seem to be in the U.K. So just wondering if there is anyone in the U.S. who escapes from a regulation Posey straitjacket on a regular basis—as I would definitely like to see this escape performed in person.
Derkomai
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Derkomai
I too would like to see it. I can do it myself, but I think most people use a different method. I have a friend (Broon at ren faires) who uses a SJ without loops, and says he can do it with them, but he won't show me. It looks like the closest we are going to get is a video of David Straitjacket escaping on stilts at this address:

http://www.thefreakshow.co.uk/forum/posey.rm

Dorian
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
Check out http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.net

Mark and Sheila are quite experienced. They also perform at the magic castle now and then.

bb Smile
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Shawn Dion in Northern Kentucky escapes from an ungimmicked Posey with all the loops intact. He performs street magic every weekend at Newport on the Levee. He also has a website.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

At one time I layed Claim to the "Gunniess World Record" for the Fastest Time From a " Legit Strait Jacket" ,....A Posey Jacket w/ roller buckles , Chest & @ Side loops.....Under 15 seconds !!
(6 months went into getting ready for it...Never again!!!)

Gunniess later became basicly "Fed up" w/ all of the Crazy claims for the record... .most notably by a Bill Shirk who Claimed the record of 4.52 seconds?..... Where he used a Humaine Restraint Jacket W/ No Belly loops, No Side loops No crotch strap..... Unlike a "Legit Posey Jacket"
Sadly Any further "Record" attempts have been Discontinued as what a "Regulation S jacket" became Questonable???

These days I prefer to do the Jacket in about 1:30 as it gives the Audiance something to look at Instead of "Blasting the Act by them"... Harry Houdini used to say ... "If it looks to easy , well it probably is!!

Michael Lee
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
All of the Posey literature I have, (and also others I have talked to that have old catalogs), shows no roller buckle jacket with chest and side loops.

The historical progression of Posey roller buckle jackets went like this:

- Roller buckle with no crotch strap or side loops

- Roller buckle with crotch strap and no side loops

- Roller buckle with crotch strap and side loops

It is only after Posey switched to friction buckles that they began to feature the chest loop.

Posey knock offs are today made with roller buckles and chest and side loops but the company themselves never produced the jacket.

Steve Santini
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The Humane jackets never had any extra side loops on them. The canvas on one of the ones I have seen is extremely stiff so I guess it will be more fun getting out of. A few people do own humane jackets without crotch straps. I almost bought one but didn't because of the size and no crotch strap. Don,
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
If I am not mistaken I think that the Café’s own Margarette performs a Posey escape using the arm straps.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Donster,

You are correct about the Humane jacket!

Shirk used a REGULATION Humane Restraint Co. jacket when he set his speed record.

The first models of Humane jackets, like the one Bill used, had no crotch straps. The crotch straps only began to be added to the jackets in the last 8 or so years.

This also goes for extra loops to restraint the arms.

It is only in the last few years that Humane jackets even had a chest loop added to them.

And they NEVER had side loops.

So technically, and at the time, Bill Shirk set his record with a "regulation" untampered with straitjacket... (Congrats Bill!).

Steve Santini
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I wish Humane would Up Date Their site. I'll like to see their straitjacket with a loop . Dom, http://www.humanerestraint.com/page15.html
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Hi there The Posey straitjacket was defeated in 1979 by myself. I had been warned and still have the letters from old escape artist telling of the dangers involved. It took a couple of weeks to get used to it. I have been using it as an opener for a long time and it seems the audience doesn't get tired of it in fact they cheer it as it makes its way out to me onstage
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

Posey did have The jacket I described as far back as the early 70s.

If any one happens to have the Shirk Modern day Houdini tape, you would see that any young child would describe what Shirk did as "Getting out of a loose sweater." which is far from being a "Legit World record attempt."

As a matter of interest the Donster also mentions having seen the Humaine jacket I described

Michael Lee
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
According to Bill Shirks book, this escape was done with a strait jacket, “specially purchased. There is not record of what the brand of jacket was other than it looking like a “humane.” The jacket was loose. According to Mr Nick Janson of the UK, Guinness book themselves were sceptical of the actual speed of getting out of a jacket and suspected trickery of some type, whether that be loose fitting jackets, stretch material or having the jacket only appear to be put on right.

Ian
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
I was pointing out the historical progression of Posey straitjackets.

I also pointed out the historical progression of Humane restraint jackets.

I also pointed out that when Bill Shirk made his record breaking escape from a Humane jacket they were made without crotch straps and were never made with side loops.

Just history. That's all.

I would imagine many escapists here may not know of this information and would be grateful of hearing it.

Steve Santini

The straitjacket facts are not mine. Rather, they are what Posey and Humane actually made in order of introduction.

Concerning Shirk's record, I have a video tape of his repeating it on a T.V. show and using a regulation Humane jacket of the early model that did not have loops or crotch strap.

Steve Santini
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
On the humane jackets I have yet to see one with a side loop. I'm not sure when humane started up with the side loops. as for no crotch straps I turned down buying one because of no crotch strap. and I know another person who performs who has a humane and it is minus a crotch strap. sorry but this was supposed to go with the quote. Don,
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

To Beat a already dead horse...

I Stated That Shirk Used , What I believed to be a "Modified" Humaine Restraint SJ, It had NO Crotch strap, & No Side or chest Straps....As they do today!

Did not look secure & was removed/ Escaped from? ..... like a loose sweater, This is not in NO way a "cheap shot' as any one that knows me know I don't take em...But a simple fact !! that can be learned from.

I used a "Regulation Posey" jacket w/ Chest & side loops, & Cratch strap... that I did my Record Attempt in.

Michael Lee
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The jacket design has not changed since the Houdini incident, except for the addition of the crotch strap.

http://www.hydeparkmedia.com/restraint.html
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Anyone In The US? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL