The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Trip around the world (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Max Milagro
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Max Milagro
I’m working on a kid show which will be a trip around the world. I’ve got this old fashioned world map to point out the different countries and the itinerary we follow and an inflatable globe.
I’ve been doing the classic stuff for a few years but was wondering if you have some good ideas to incorporate in the show. The idea is when a child points out to a country or continent I perform a trick related to the country. Like doing Chinese sticks. But what do you do in Africa or the States (being from Europe)?

Thanks,
Max Milagro
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You might want to try using forgein coins for some countries. You can try "Hindu Sand" (colored sand get dry when taking out of water for Africa.) Try doing the shell with pea method with coco shells for The Philippines. Try making the country's currency appear by reaching in the air and do the Pen Thru Anything.
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
404 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
The obvious one for the United states is the mis made flag (although, if the kids are not that familiar with it, it might not play as strong).
Something to do with wild animals (flippy the monkey? or even a wild version of Barnyard Frolics) would do for being in africa.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
If you are interested where someone has gone before you buy a copy of "Magic around the world" by Bill ragsdale 144 A5 softback a video of his schoolshow program of the same name is also available I got my copy of the book from David Ginn
Phillip
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Hi Max,

Here are my suggestions:

Africa - Arrowhead
Pakistan - Hindu Sand
Middle East – Turning Oil to Water
India – Indian Basket Illusion; Cobra Tie
South America – Exotic Birds Production
China - Chinese Linking Rings
Japan - Sponge Balls and Bowl (Roy Benson)
Philippines – Rice Bowls
Thailand – Silk Productions
USA – Lasso Card, or rope tricks; Vanishing Coca-Cola
Europe – Manipulative act using balls, flowers, etc. performed to classical music
England – Axtell Drawing Board (draw a queen’s face)
Egypt – Vanish/Produce stuff from Lewis Cone (call it Pyramid)
Israel – Spoonbending
Mexico – Color-changing CDs

I know…some of the suggested effects are too big for a kid show. I’m putting them in anyway in the hope that they will trigger ideas useful to you.

By the way, you need not use authentic indigenous tricks of a country or continent in your around-the-world magical trip. Just use a background music stereotypical of that country or continent and voila! you will have created the illusion of a magical effect innate to that place. Costuming, too, will add to the illusion, if your production is that elaborate.

Good luck.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
John Mulholland wrote a nice book called “Magic of the World” in 1965 (Published by Charles Scribner’s Sons – New York). It gave a history of magic and 14 tricks representing different countries. While the book was oriented toward the youth market the magic was very good (and the tricks not often seen). It usually turns up in a public library.

I used the book for a “History of Magic Around the World” school assembly program that I marketed and performed for years. It not only involved different tricks typical of a country but I did partial costume (coats and hats) changes.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Tom Trix
View Profile
Regular user
Copenhagen,Denmark
113 Posts

Profile of Tom Trix
There is also a book by Michael Elliott called Children`s Showtime, it has a complete program and routine. Magical Journey Act for older children.
I belive you can get this from Magic Books By Post in UK. This is a very god inexpencive 40 page book.
There is no business like Showbusiness.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Trip around the world (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL