The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie joining a circle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zeftron
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Zeftron
I was in a magic shop the other day when I saw a poster advertising the local magicians' circle. I asked the owner what the benefits of joining would be etc and how to go about joining (I'm a new starter)

He told me that generally you'd expect to do a 10-15 minute audition and they'd decide whether to let you in as a full member or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what sort of things might be appropriate for such an audition? I've mainly been practicing with cards - as it strikes me as a core skill area that I need even if I don't want to specialize in them.

As well as that, what do people see as the benefits of joining a group?

Thanks in advance
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Do what you do best. Smile Smile Everything else is optional. What do you want to specialize in?
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Zeftron
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Zeftron
I'm not sure what I want to specialize in - but I know what I don't want to do Smile i.e. I'm not interested in stage stuff and making glamorous assistants disappear. I'd quite like to make them appear but that's a different thread altogether! Smile

At the moment, anything close-up/anything that falls into the "here look at this" category.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
There are many options available. Magic is much more about how you present something than what you did.
A few options,

Cups & Balls, Smile Cards, Smile coins, Smile
rope, silks etc. The list goes on and on. Do you have one effect that you are comfortable with? If so, then that's where you should start.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Riff hit the nail on the head.

Do what you like to do. Magic is an art. An artist does their own art, not another's.

Enjoy it, Have Fun!
You have to give it away to keep it.
Zeftron
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Zeftron
Just a bit intimidated about doing stuff that is easy enough for me to do (or so I think) in front of much more experienced magicians. I think I'll have to practice in front of the family more to build up the confidence. Ah well, you have to start somewhere Smile

P.S. One of the most honest signatures I've ever seen there David!
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I joined my local IBM ring last year. I performed what I am interested in and enjoy the most, The Cups & Balls. I didn't even come close to doing the routine justice, but it was a great experience and I received some excellent feedback, even on my first day. Other magicians have done cards, bills, Mis-made flag, and more.
The group wants to see that you really are interested in magic and the best way to do that is to take your favorite routine and present it YOUR WAY.
It is truly and audience that is pulling for you and not at all antagonistic.
Have Fun,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
I think the important part is the confidence when you perform your tricks..it's really hard to freak out the more experienced magicians with your techniques, cause they know a lot more than you, so freak them out with your presentation then..

So, when you perform, even the easy and self working tricks, do them with confidence...practice the words you want to say, the scenario, get the moves down perfectly...when you perform just flow in the magic, just stay calm and confident, keep eye contact with them...the bottom line is BE CONFIDENT!!!

I bet you won't freak them out...but you'll make them think "hey hey..what a nice presentation we have here!!"

Hope that helps...Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie joining a circle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL