The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My dad wants learn magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicsphere
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of magicsphere
He is 50 yrs old, I not sure what type of magic should he learn. Any recommendations?
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
What do you do yourself? What are his interests? When would he use it? Why does he want to learn? How nimble-fingered is he?

I think with a little more information you may get better suggestions Smile

Michael
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
Age is not a barrier in learning Magic. Depends on his interest, there is alway some beginner material in all areas of Magic.

Most people will start with some card tricks but it is not a must. There is nothing wrong with getting a copy of the Tarbell series, Mark Wilson's book or Card College series.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
What about a magic litmus test to consider?
Before cracking ANY book or watching a dvd, have him do 2 things:

How well does he shuffle a deck of cards on the table and free hand, and just for further rookie hazing, ribbon spread the deck.
And teach him how to do a french drop - timing, gross movement, follow through - whole enchilada.
Aren't these the MOST basic below basic magic 101 skills one must be able to execute?! Don't tell me a complete novice should learn to palm and dl and cp as a first course and without presentational context.
Yes of course he can dive in to c&b, but hopefully he learns it the right way.

So if he has the natural knack and talent to learn and pick it up - then move past GO
if not,
jumping in any further would only create frustration and discouragement.

Purely my stoopid arse opinion - at least some form of passing some basic criteria, not necessarily those few things I suggested to be able to do.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Mark Wilson's Complete Magic Course has enough of everything to pique interest. It also has sleight free tricks as well as sleights so would be suitable for any level. You can also pick it up cheap on ebay/amazon
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I am not to sure what your level is. As your asking the question I am guessing you’re a beginner or intermediate or just really in to one thing like cards or coin. Hers the kind of advice I give to people just starting out. A invisible deck. TT with silk and a Hot Rod. 3 great tricks and gets the idea of 3 tricks is all you need. Also your learn them quick and can show people and work on presentation.

Next up will be Mark Wilson book. And a couple of bicycle packs, 1 set of sponge balls and a pile of rope. possibly a set of cups and balls and multiplying balls bear in mind these are hard disciplines that need lots of time.

The next thing is Fooler Dooler DVDS of magic.

Hers a list,
1- Invisible deck /TT plus silk/ spotty Hot Rod,
2- Mark Wilsons book/ 2 pack Cards/ Sponge balls/ rope,
3- Cups and balls/ multiplying balls,
4- Darlys Foller dooler DVD,

I fill that this set has a variety of tricks and also introduce impromptu stuff as well.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 13:21, magicsphere wrote:
He is 50 yrs old, I not sure what type of magic should he learn. Any recommendations?

The type he wants to. Next...
You know why don't act naive.
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
I second the Fooler Dooler's series.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
I'm 60 and just started a year ago.
Mark Wilson's book and Fooler Dooler are a perfect start.
I started with Tenyo tricks, rope and rubberband stuff.
I also fool with a regular deck of cards.
Just these few things can keep you busy for years.
magicsphere
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of magicsphere
He know some basic shuffles such as overhand and hindu shuffle. He say he don't have nimble hands so I don't know which sleights suitable for him to learn
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I am a firm believer in if you use it it will come. I met an old guy who was teaching yoga - he had more muscles and flexibility than guys half his age.....you would never have known he had been in a wheelchair for years. Think about palming a coin, an undeniably difficult move for anyone of any age....yet with perseverance it comes.

Even with stiffness what are the most common card sleights? Any control to the top, take your pick. The double lift, mercury card fold. With those 3 you can perform a myriad of effects and none of them require super flexible joints.

Don't start with the negative. Start with the positive. Learning is a journey not a destination.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
After a hiatus of two decades, I’m back, in my late fifties, and find that I’m a better PERFORMER than when I was younger. There’s really nothing he can’t learn, even the so-called “knuckle-busters”, if he’s so inclined and willing to put in the practice time.

One thing I wonder, and it’s really just a small “check box”; why did he wait so long? For most of us, I think there’s at least an interest in watching magic at an early age, and it’s that fascination that eventually draws us in. Has he always had that interest, or has it just appeared since watching you perform? That could be an indicator of his ultimate determination to succeed.

Another thing comes to mind, and this is more of a caveat; it’s very difficult to learn from family members: too much familiarity. Help him get the books he wants to study, and then back off and let him work things out on his own. If he comes to you for help with a particular “move”, by all means help him out. Just don’t set yourself up as “teacher”; it’s a recipe for hard-feelings.

(If you truly understand what “coaching” is, that could possibly work)

Best of luck!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I second the hard to learn from family members! My wife is a teacher, I teach....teach each other...sure road to friction!
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of jakubr
If he didn't want to start with sleight-of-hand yet, there are always this series of self-working magic books. You can get ones on card magic, coin magic, rope etc. This might be a good point to start, as it's not that demanding. And if dad wants to progress, then you can encourage him to go into Mark Wilsons book, Tarbell, or Royal Road.
magicsphere
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of magicsphere
Thank you guys! I think I can give him to read my Mark Wilson book. My dad said he always wanted to learn magic since young but didn't get a chance because he didn't have the sources. Since, I started in magic and I have some stuff on magic, he is interested to know more about magic. Plus, magic is super hot in Asia recently due to Lu- chen
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
That’s great to hear. I hope he does well and has fun! The Mark Wilson book is a great starting point.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My dad wants learn magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL