The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Mark Eldson's new Impression Device "The Master Spy" (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
They don't need to search for nomad pad revealed; just "magic trick pad" and it pops up nicely on the first page for them.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 07:58, mescalitoeyes wrote:
They don't need to search for nomad pad revealed; just "magic trick pad" and it pops up nicely on the first page for them.

Andy

Then sadly that will happen no matter what pad I use; either way I've stopped using low-tech imp devices.
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
IMO if the pad (whichever one you use -- Psypher, Nomad, Tommy, ParaPad, one of Riggs' or any of the others) looks like one you see at Staples, office Max/Depot, the school supplies section of the drug store or supermarket, is handled like any normal pad and one's presentation does not draw undue attention to the pad it is unlikely to be suspect or prompt the observer to google in search of the secret.
Dick Christian
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
I agree with you Dick, never had a problem with any spectator when using the butterfly; this does sound interesting though and I do like Marks thinking. Be interesting to see others veiws on it too.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
A routine utilizing an imp pad shouldn't be about the pad. It's that simple!

If I use a business card, an index card or any everyday object, the routine is usually not about this object.
This object is irrelevant as far as my audience is aware.

It's the performer who feels 'guilty' who raises suspicion - not the pad.
(This is my experience from literally hundreds of utilizations of a 'suspicion arousing' imp device, ... Smile )

Cheers
Th.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I think people do suspect imp pads a lot of the time. The two videos of Keith Barry performing below show such cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo1dLTEzyHI
(at about 1:35)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZRni8LaKHQ
(at about 2:00)
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I think one of the main things when considering an impression device is, what is the clarity?

For those who have seen The Master Spy, was it clear?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 09:11, aussiemagic wrote:
I think people do suspect imp pads a lot of the time. The two videos of Keith Barry performing below show such cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo1dLTEzyHI
(at about 1:35)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZRni8LaKHQ
(at about 2:00)

OMG - The first spectator is a nightmare Smile

Skeptical is one thing but ....
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
That's actually not that rare. Ive had quite a few people like that over the years and some far far worse.
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I've found that having what appears to be a handle of gun protruding from a holster, just visible to the participant, tends to keep him in line.

My cane has such a handle.

Tony
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 02:53, Thomas Cooper wrote:
WHY does it sound amazing?

Quote:

This totally new and innocent looking pad is actually one of the cleanest methods you will find today for a real-time peek. Imagine this…you hand out a small, pocket sized notepad to your spectator and ask her to note down any kind of special word, drawing or number that she can think of. Your spectator now tears the piece of paper from the spiral bound pad and places it into her pocket. Bear in mind that you can be totally turned away throughout this entire process. Once the paper is safely in your spectator’s pocket you retrieve the pad, close it and put it away. You now have all the information you require to perform a powerful mental revelation of the secret information in whatever way you wish.

The peek is direct, fast, covered by a natural motion and is totally self-contained. There are no electronics, nothing must be added or removed to obtain your peek and because the pad is put away before the effect really even begins, you are left clean at the end of the trick. Plus, the spectator can feely handle the pad without detection.

Theres nothing in here which cannot be performed with my NoMaD pad (including the description of the peek). So unless it turns out otherwise, what we have here is a variation on style of pad, not of method. If it runs off a nuclear powered battery THEN its a work of genius; but as such the description demonstrates nothing new. I'm hoping that the ad is deceptive, in the sense that the pad has more to offer than it says it does, but I highly doubt it. If the gimmick could be used in the dark for example then it would be a brilliant improvement over other pads out there, but it doesn't say it does that so I imagine it doesn't.

You can't just say the words "its genius" and not expect a guy like me to ask why its meant to be so good. Also Mark if you are reading this, its not an attack on you (or even your product) but it is a denial of the claim that the product is genius without some sort of explanation why.

Tom
xx

The description above is NOT for Master Spy. That is the ad copy for a completely different device called the Mind Spy Pad. The email I received from Mark says that Master Spy is a board measuring 150mm x 220mm. So it appears that Master Spy is not a pocket sized notepad. The method is also completely different from imp pads like Nomad, Psypher, etc.
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 17:42, sabitu wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 02:53, Thomas Cooper wrote:
WHY does it sound amazing?

Quote:

This totally new and innocent looking pad is actually one of the cleanest methods you will find today for a real-time peek. Imagine this…you hand out a small, pocket sized notepad to your spectator and ask her to note down any kind of special word, drawing or number that she can think of. Your spectator now tears the piece of paper from the spiral bound pad and places it into her pocket. Bear in mind that you can be totally turned away throughout this entire process. Once the paper is safely in your spectator’s pocket you retrieve the pad, close it and put it away. You now have all the information you require to perform a powerful mental revelation of the secret information in whatever way you wish.

The peek is direct, fast, covered by a natural motion and is totally self-contained. There are no electronics, nothing must be added or removed to obtain your peek and because the pad is put away before the effect really even begins, you are left clean at the end of the trick. Plus, the spectator can feely handle the pad without detection.

Theres nothing in here which cannot be performed with my NoMaD pad (including the description of the peek). So unless it turns out otherwise, what we have here is a variation on style of pad, not of method. If it runs off a nuclear powered battery THEN its a work of genius; but as such the description demonstrates nothing new. I'm hoping that the ad is deceptive, in the sense that the pad has more to offer than it says it does, but I highly doubt it. If the gimmick could be used in the dark for example then it would be a brilliant improvement over other pads out there, but it doesn't say it does that so I imagine it doesn't.

You can't just say the words "its genius" and not expect a guy like me to ask why its meant to be so good. Also Mark if you are reading this, its not an attack on you (or even your product) but it is a denial of the claim that the product is genius without some sort of explanation why.

Tom
xx

The description above is NOT for Master Spy. That is the ad copy for a completely different device called the Mind Spy Pad. The email I received from Mark says that Master Spy is a board measuring 150mm x 220mm. So it appears that Master Spy is not a pocket sized notepad. The method is also completely different from imp pads like Nomad, Psypher, etc.

May I see a copy of the email? I highly doubt Mr Elsdon would object to it being posted here.
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Is it for sale, how to buy it and how much?? Did I miss that info amongst the chatter, or does no one know?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Thomas,

I WOULD object to that email being posted here, so your presumption is wrong. It is very bad manners, at the least, to repost anyone's emails on an open forum you know...

It's not that I'm trying to be preciously secretive about the Master Spy, it's simply that it is a very limited release, and as such is available solely to subscribers to my newsletter.

That said, I'm happy for anyone to sign up for my newsletter! So if you're interested in the Master Spy, just drop me an email, I'll add you to my list and send you the most recent newsletter which contains all the info you need.

For that reason, I won't be participating in this thread any further. I'll be pleased to answer any and all question via email though...

Cheers,

ME
Check out The View From Here:
http://elsdon.blogspot.com/
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 14:56, looch wrote:
That's actually not that rare. Ive had quite a few people like that over the years and some far far worse.

I'm with Looch on this.

This kind of thing is not an unusual occurrence when you perform for the public.
This guy was actually very sweet, he was just processing his thoughts out loud.

Routining and a process sure helps though.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 22:03, Mark Elsdon wrote:
Thomas,

I WOULD object to that email being posted here, so your presumption is wrong. It is very bad manners, at the least, to repost anyone's emails on an open forum you know...

It's not that I'm trying to be preciously secretive about the Master Spy, it's simply that it is a very limited release, and as such is available solely to subscribers to my newsletter.

That said, I'm happy for anyone to sign up for my newsletter! So if you're interested in the Master Spy, just drop me an email, I'll add you to my list and send you the most recent newsletter which contains all the info you need.

For that reason, I won't be participating in this thread any further. I'll be pleased to answer any and all question via email though...

Cheers,

ME

I am a subscriber. But you don't respond to my inqiury email. Do I miss something?
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 22:58, rockbrunnen wrote:
I am a subscriber. But you don't respond to my inqiury email. Do I miss something?

Mark PM'ed me and sorted this out kindly. It is about those spam filter things.
I placed my order.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This looks awesome! Thanks for the info Mark. Saving more "pennies" - not for thoughts but to buy one of these cool devices later this Summer.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
It's been 3 months... Still waiting mine to arrive...
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Interested in your review Brunnen when you get it. Smile

DC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Mark Eldson's new Impression Device "The Master Spy" (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL