The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What kind of resturant is the best (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I was wondering what is the best kind of resturant to do magic in. What to look for in a good resturant. Do you think that age is a problem.

thanks for any help
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Well It depends on why you are doing the restaurant gig.
if you are going for more jobs birthday's ect then you need to look for a family place. Also you should find a place that fits your personality.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The best kind of restaurant to do magic in is one that pays you well! Smile

Seriously, it would depend on a number of things, age -- as you mention -- being one of them.

For example, if you're 16, you probably aren't going to work in a biker bar; and if you're 60, it's unlikely you're going to work in a rock club.

Consider your age, your personality, your desires, what's available near you, what kind of act you do, what kind of audience you want to play to, what kind of customers various restaurants attract, etc.

The list goes on and on and it's a bit hard to offer any specific advice without knowing more about you and your magic.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Thanks for the advice Smile
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
magicbrad,

You should try following Mr. Marucci's advice for not only choosing the right restaurant, but also for any other gig or event you're invited to perform at. I found that only one aspect can really make you or break you in the real world setting: your comfortability. If the event doesn't suit your overall personality or background, chances are you'd feel awkward doing magic for the people around you. And that'll show through your work.

I currently work in a Caeser's Palace resort with about ten other magicians. I feel okay there, because the other performers seem to regularly help me out, and constantly look over my progress as if I was their little brother. I'm only seventeen, and they're all in their 40's and up. I consider them to be really great people, and they make it easy to entertain.

I also work at a teenage nightclub. I really enjoy it there, because everyone's usually my age, and the environment just fits my overall personality. The constant loud music and light FX really get me going, and I'm forced to think of highly visual magic that speaks for itself. It's a job where literal talking won't be heard; such an obstacle inspires creative thinking, and I like that.

I just like the feeling I get from these places. The more comfortable you are, the better you'll do. I don't really think age is a major problem. It's never hindered my tips in anyway-- in fact, at Caeser's, a lot of people give me more because I'm younger than most of the people on the regular staff. I think personality, however, should shine through your work more than anything else-just get the people on your side by being you, and you'll succeed.

RT

PS: Try looking at the following places for diverse audiences and educating experience:

local libraries
country golf clubs
family resorts
family restaurants (Red Robin's, Ponderosa)
night clubs
sports bars

If you're trying to work for good money in tips, try applying for places where you'd expect wealthier people to go. Just make sure you construct a high class act to go along with their likings as well.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
Check out the establishment.
Try the food, see how the wait-staff treats people, check out the prices on the menu,
watch the customers, observe how quickly the tables turn, is there dead time available for you to perform, how quickly are the tables bussed and most importantly...
Do you want your name associated with the place?
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
A restaurant with a younger wait staff...(more pron to not being on the ball with their tables), that work in a restaurant that has money, and good food, but unfortunatly the owner has trouble keeping the wait staff, consequently the turnover rate of the staff is high. This causes inexperienced waiter/s to apply, which in turn needs a performer to keep the waiting tables occupied with some entertainment. A busy succesful restaurant is good for this kind of senario. You will be offering the owner a service that keeps the clientele happy. Something like that. I hope this helps somewhat.

E-Leoni.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Thanks To All.

Smile Smile Smile
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
I truly agree with Rtshowman. The atmosphere of the restaurant, must match your style of performance. This is a given, when gaining a comfortable feeling when you are greeting the guests and such. Other restaurants have wanted to book me as a magician, but I knew I wouldn't feel comfortable there. By dining at various restaurants, you'll definitely get the feel of "Now I could perform here", or "I wouldn't perform here for all the money..."

"... Trust your feelings Luke."
Obi Wan Kanobi to young Luke Skywalker.
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Thanks master. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What kind of resturant is the best (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL