The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Nelson Hahne - Information? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
Hey everybody,
I have tried the google search, the magiccafe search, and many trips to libraries and magic shops with little success, so I thought I would just ask here, too.

Does anyone know anything about Nelson Hahne (illustrator of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and a TON of other stuff), ie. where he lived (He did a lot of work for Ireland Magic in Chicago; did he live in Chicago?), a complete bibliography of his works, information about his life/death, or really anything since the only thing I am coming up with is about a dozen books he illustrated and nothing more. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aaron
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Chuck Romano wrote a very good book on all the illustrators in magic Tarbell, Hahne, Cleaver, Tony Dunn and many more. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but it is a good source.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I always thought Hahe was one of magic's most gifted artists. While his drawings seem a bit dated now, to me they still capture the essence of the magic world.

Gerry
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
834 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
A great pamphlet-type book (in my estimation) is Max Holden's "Programmes of Famous Magicians." Hahne did the illustrations for that. Terrific!
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
Does anyone know of a library that would have the Chuck Romano book, by any chance? I am a little hesitant to drop $70 for one article, but it looks like it may come to that.
My wife is a graphic designer and loves his work and has started a small collection of booklets to frame. I would like to locate a piece of original artwork/inking to suprise her as well. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do not know of any libraries that would shelve this book. It is not of interest to the general population.

I would check with Ron Alessi, Mario Carranid, Martinka and other used magic dealers. Time to time, his work shows up. Mario may even have some of it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
127 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Richard, is the Chuck Romano book titled "The Art of Deception"?

Aaron, if that is the book, there are a few public libraries that own it. If you have a library card, you can ask your librarian to get it for you through interlibrary loan. Sugar Grove Public Library in Illinois is one library that is supposed to have a copy available for check-out. Whether it is actually still there or not, you would have to ask your librarian. Or call them yourself. Books like that have a way of "vanishing" off the shelf!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, that is the book. I am sorry that I have not had time to go look it up.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
Richard, Daryl, Kevin - Thank you so much for the help and direction.

I'm hopping off to the library this evening to put in a request. If gas was cheaper, I'd just about drive over there to keep from waiting...

This is what Magic Café is for. I appreciate it guys!

Aaron
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
507 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
I know this is kind of an old thread but no one mentioned Hahne is the name creditited to winged silver , in Bobos..............
Paul Budd
View Profile
Veteran user
It's a shame he's only made
368 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Honestly, I was just very recently going through some old issue of The Linking Ring (late 90's - 2006 maybe)....there are a couple of huge write-ups scattered throughout about him in those.
His face isn't really this long in-person!
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL