The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Just ordered a 3D printer (extrudes ABS plastic) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Got the Thing-O-Matic from http://www.makerbot.com

It actually "prints" by extruding melted ABS plastic (the same material they make Lego bricks from) and builds up an object one layer at a time. It's got a high enough resolution to print pretty small parts, like gears, and while the build area is only a 4" cube, you can design larger objects to be modular and piece together.

I'm excited- this really opens up a ton of possibilities; anything you can imagine, you can make.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
810 Posts

Profile of lin
Cool! I'm going to the Bay Area Maker Faire tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing one in action--can't wait to see what you come up with!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The first one I ever saw was at the SnowMasters facility in Alabama. Pretty neat machine.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Neato! What do you have in mind to make?
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
Those are way cool... a lot of the loudspeaker companies I use to REP had very large ones to make proto types with. This was 20 years ago and the cost was around a million bucks.

Have fun with it!!!
Bruce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think that is the greatest magic trick on could ever do in a show. Now that is real magic!

You could make billiard balls with gimmicks, large coins, thimbles.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes, I want to see what you come up with, too. Looks like a fun toy, er.. tool! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
You could make action figures of ALL OF US!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Well, I've still got to wait four weeks for delivery- which gives me time to clear up some space, and learn the software. I may learn blender, but I've still got 3DS MAX laying around somewhere to fall back on. I knew you guys would have some great ideas, too, which is why I mentioned it here. Heck, I may even do prototyping for interested people (though the Thing-O-Matic is designed to be capable of small production runs, too.)

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 20:01, jazzy snazzy wrote:
You could make action figures of ALL OF US!

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
The Web site was a little vague... does it come with its own modeling software, or you you use a 3D program first and then use the included software to convert the format?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Need your own modeling software, but nearly any program will work- Google Sketchup, Blender, 3DS Max, Rhino, etc. There's open source/free modeling programs out there. You can also use an iPhone or web cam and some open source software to make 3D scans of objects.

Plus there's free objects out there already formatted for printing, but most people would want to customize their prints.

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Cool. Thanks.

Can't wait to see what you come up with...
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Resurrecting this one, since I finally got the thing. Took me about two weeks to put it together, and I finished just before I left for the 4th of July weekend, so I've only had a short amount of time to play with it. Still calibrating the various settings, but it's capable of quite a lot of stuff. Here's a link to my FB album with some pictures of some of my first few prints:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=......95a0709a

Although I didn't actually design those objects myself, once I get some more spare time I've got a short list of stuff to do so I really learn the system. Included on that list is some new PVC connectors that aren't available in stores- 45 degree corners, for example- which could really take some of those PVC Illusions to the next level!

Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 15:17, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Need your own modeling software, but nearly any program will work- Google Sketchup, Blender, 3DS Max, Rhino, etc. There's open source/free modeling programs out there. You can also use an iPhone or web cam and some open source software to make 3D scans of objects.

Plus there's free objects out there already formatted for printing, but most people would want to customize their prints.

Poser? DAZ Studio?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-07-07 21:33, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 15:17, EsnRedshirt wrote:

Actually, I've exported two different figures from Poser into Blender, then exported them as .stl files to test how well the printer would handle them. Those figures are rather poly-heavy and need some work (especially the Victoria 4-based figures from Daz Studio) to make them printable, but they do print fairly well once you weld redundant vertices and reduce the poly count a bit.
Poser? DAZ Studio?

thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
So when do I order my Great Nippulini action figure (needs to come with anvil and little chains).
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Heh, give me a chance to work on some articulation... otherwise you'll just be getting a figurine.

On another note, one of the things the printer can do pretty well is manufacture gears and mechanisms of all sorts, which are durable and lightweight. (One guy's even designed and printed a mini-lathe with it.) At first I thought it wouldn't be much help with illusions- now I'm realizing I'm able to make the special mechanical components some of them require fairly cheaply and easily. Hmm, I could do automatons... Smile

Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
How smooth can the 'prints' come out? The prints in the photos have surfaces that look like "step pyramids."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Depends on how much postwork you're willing to do. The extruder nozzle is 0.4mm, and the machine can theoretically go down to 0.2mm layer height. After that, it's up to you how smooth you want to sand it... or in extreme cases, you can spray the print with acetone, slightly melting it and making it very smooth.

If you print raftless, the bottom part, which touches the build platform, can be very smooth indeed.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Just ordered a 3D printer (extrudes ABS plastic) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL