The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Taxpayers are paying for this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Don't get me wrong. I've got no problem WHATSOEVER with this dude's lifestyle. More power to him. But why should the taxpayers be paying for it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1gPgcyc......embedded

Woland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I heard about that and watched the National Geographic special that the 'baby' appeared on the other night. I'm wondering, did you watch it or did you just watch the youtube clip (which is not viewable in my region, so I don't know what it is exactly). I'm assuming it is some part of the National Geographic special? I wonder how complete it is.

I do know that the article you posted is at least partially misrepresenting some of the facts of the case.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Uh huh. Oh gee. One person improperly collecting a few hundred dollars a month of disability.

Maybe if GE paid taxes we wouldn't be so desperately broke that that this worried us.

Im sorry AFAIAC this is *all* part of a desperate attempt to distract us from where the vast majority of the wealth we all produce as part of this country is really going-- into the pockets of the wealthiest 5%. Lets keep our ire laser focused on those who are really bankrupting the country.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Of course, when you say the wealth "we all" produce, similarly, for all intents and purposes, you're talking about an extremely small percentage of people.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 22:27, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Of course, when you say the wealth "we all" produce, similarly, for all intents and purposes, you're talking about an extremely small percentage of people.
Yeah, because everyone else who could actually produce anything is unemployed. Smile
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Well, that's just a product of the evil society we live in. If there were any justice, we'd all lie around in cribs all day and Warren Buffet and Bill Gates would pay for our care.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi, balducci. Yes, that YouTube link is an excerpt of the National Geographic program. It shows that the dude is functional, he's capable of going to the store, buying lumber, and building the accessories he needs for his lifestyle. It shows that he knows he's odd, and that he understands he needs to behave and dress like an adult when he goes into town. It's evident that he has made a deliberate choice to live this lifestyle.

Cyberqat, I agree that President Obama's friends at GE should pay taxes and compete for business in the open, free market like everybody else. But that's not the Chicago way . . .

The point here is not that this single man is inappropriately taking huge amounts of money from the taxpayers, but that his actions are merely one example of how all sorts of clever knaves -- including the President's buddies at GE -- manage to take money from the taxpayers. The waste and stupidity of so much government spending is staggering.

And of course the therapeuticalization of any lifestyle choice is another factor. Almost anything can be characterized as a medical issue and thereby removed from the realm of the voluntary.

Woland
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 07:36, Woland wrote:

Cyberqat, I agree that President Obama's friends at GE should pay taxes...



Yah! Let's make them pay taxes on their billions, like they did under Bush! Let's get these crooked "Chicago* Style" politicians out of office. And get the honest politicians from three years ago back in.

I wish there was some way to stop the President from writing all those loophole filled tax regulations.



*Kenyan
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15819 Posts

Profile of tommy
You commoners down the hill make me laugh. What else did you think tax was for but to keep those of us up the hill in the castle in luxury?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 08:52, tommy wrote:
You commoners down the hill make me laugh. What else did you think tax was for but to keep those of us up the hill in the castle in luxury?


Is there somebody credible who can confirm this?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Incidentally, perhaps the most interesting thing about the adult baby documentary, is that he disclaims any sexual component to his fantasy life, although admitting that for many others in this lifestyle, it is a paraphilia. He thereby gives up what has become in our society, the most compelling reason for compelling other people to accommodate one's unusual behavior.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Not sure what this has to do with global warming. But I agree - despite his claims of being incapable of working due to a heart condition (as stated in another article I read about him), he certainly does appear to be "milking" the system. This guy should be given a thorough spanking. But we should be careful not to demonize the entire system because of a few abusers.


Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 10:12, R.S. wrote:
Not sure what this has to do with global warming. But I agree - despite his claims of being incapable of working due to a heart condition (as stated in another article I read about him), he certainly does appear to be "milking" the system. This guy should be given a thorough spanking. But we should be careful not to demonize the entire system because of a few abusers.


Ron


So, you're saying we shouldn't throw the bathwater out with the baby?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 09:12, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 08:52, tommy wrote:
You commoners down the hill make me laugh. What else did you think tax was for but to keep those of us up the hill in the castle in luxury?


Is there somebody credible who can confirm this?


Historically, he's quite right. The Romans (who didn't invent taxation BTW) used taxes to maintain the empire, to fund warfare and expansion and to make Senators rich. Getting appointed to a province was a very good way to fill your pockets in the good old days.

Modern international culture is a direct descendent of Roman institutions.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
You are beginning to sound like a Tea Partier, Magnus . . . .
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Does anyone know if this guy is recieving any kind of treatment for his alleged disability?
If the condition itself isn't causing him suffering then it shouldn't qualify as a disability, and if it is causing him suffering then he should be receptive to treating it.
I'm not saying his preferred lifestyle makes him sick- whatever floats your boat, but if he's saying he's too sick to work then I do think he should do something about that.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 07:36, Woland wrote:

Hi, balducci. Yes, that YouTube link is an excerpt of the National Geographic program. It shows that the dude is functional, he's capable of going to the store, buying lumber, and building the accessories he needs for his lifestyle.

His going to the store and buying lumber etc. was with the assistance of National Geographic. Those scenes were staged for the show. So were the brief on-screen scenes of furniture construction, which National Geographic set up.

Sure, he runs a web site and built baby furniture. However:

1. Two people maintain that web site, and the adult baby spends at most about 4 hours a MONTH on it. It is a bare bones site. It's not the sort of thing that will get anyone a job as a web developer.

2. It took him TWO years to plan and build that over-sized baby chair. A year and a half for the actual construction. (I think many on this forum could build one as good in a day or two.)

Combined with the fact that the guy is now threatening to kill himself ...

Really, he hardly sounds functional to me. But perhaps if the Senator is so convinced and concerned, he will offer the baby a job on his staff.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, balducci, let's put it this way. Are you willing to support anybody who is willing to work only 4 hours a month, and who threatens to kill himself if you won't pay up?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Even if he is abusing the system-
As far as this being any kind of example for destroying DSHS, that makes about as much sense as eliminating all police based on Glenn and Chance's examples.

Not that anyone here has suggested that directly. Responding to comments on the article itself.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 12:02, Woland wrote:
Well, balducci, let's put it this way. Are you willing to support anybody who is willing to work only 4 hours a month, and who threatens to kill himself if you won't pay up?


Apples to apples, Woland...Balducci is in Canada. He's willing to support the framework by which Americans support him.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Taxpayers are paying for this (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL