The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Taxpayers are paying for this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 12:02, Woland wrote:

Well, balducci, let's put it this way. Are you willing to support anybody who is willing to work only 4 hours a month, and who threatens to kill himself if you won't pay up?

Again, you are moving the goal posts. If the guy is disabled and not functional and possibly mentally ill (judging from his threat to self harm if nothing else), sounds like he needs help. I guess you would just throw him to the curb?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Put an involuntary hold on him for a psych evaluation, based on his being a danger to himself. He doesn't seem to actually believe that he's a baby, but if he's potentially mentally ill, then he should be checked out by a doctor. Maybe he's in need of (apparently involuntary) civil commitment.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 20:59, Woland wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I've got no problem WHATSOEVER with this dude's lifestyle.

I do, and I thought I was a particularly tolerant chap.

I guess I was wrong.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 12:16, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Put an involuntary hold on him for a psych evaluation, based on his being a danger to himself. He doesn't seem to actually believe that he's a baby, but if he's potentially mentally ill, then he should be checked out by a doctor. Maybe he's in need of (apparently involuntary) civil commitment.

Sounds reasonable (and I think some of it was done previously).

My point from the start is that people (the Senator, Woland, the article writer, and I noticed this morning that Michelle Malkin is also now on the adult baby's case) were / are making or reporting exaggerated claims about this guy without first learning the actual facts of the case, even to the level reported in the National Geographic special.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
There's nothing wrong with commenting on the facts of the case that have been published. As far as we know, etc.

Stone, I wouldn't recommend this idiotic lifestyle to anybody, but I have no problem with him, if he chooses to live that way. I just object to being forced to pay for it. I note that even balducci hasn't committed himself to supporting the adult baby, either.

The fact that he made a suicidal threat does not mean that he is entitled to balducci's money or my money. Or your money. I agree with Lobowolf that a formal psychiatric evaluation may be in order.

And no, I don't think the guy is disabled at all. I think he is a very capable con man.

Woland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 12:42, Woland wrote:

There's nothing wrong with commenting on the facts of the case that have been published. As far as we know, etc.

The Senator, Michelle, and yourself were actually ignoring some of the facts that were published, and misrepresenting others (specifically about the guy's functionality and what he accomplished). I think there is something wrong with that.

But I have no problem with the Senator calling for an investigation. Although, I do think he should have avoided the press release about it until he knew what he was talking about.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Care to elaborate? What am I missing here?
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
Wow, I have seen some odd stuff, but this guy is right up there.
I think the issue is; if we as taxpayers are funding someone, do we have a right to interfere if they are living in a manner we couldn't support for ourselves by our own income. I think this guy may or may not be snowing us on the heart condition, but suicide threats are serious enough to commit the guy and see if the shrinks at the asylum can endorse his pampers fetish as genuine.
Disclaimer: not involved with Nat. Geo., Mr. Pampers, or anyone else. I have Known people on assistance and disability, some were screwing the system and others desperately needed it.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
How about if you don't pay tax we will beat you with a big stick. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That's basically the position taken by all governments, tommy. Except they don't beat you with a big stick, they imprison you. For years.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
At the risk of irritating some of you and having others accuse me of being a Democrat or Republican or Tea Partier or New Age DemoPublican, or Utopian Party Activist, or whatever, I'm going to say that IMHO, the biggest reason some of this (including the tax issues and gas prices) is happening is because the public has become very complacent. We talk about it, we gripe about it, we kvetch about it, but how many Americans actually take the time to write their elected officials and remind them that there's an election coming up sometime soon? A few letters here and there just get buried in the layers and layers of legislative staffs; a few hundred thousand letters, on a regular basis, would overwhelm these people and actually make it to the dear dear elected officials -- probably ahead of the lobbyists.

I meet a fair number of retired people through work, and it totally amazes me how willing they are to just sit and accept stuff they don't like.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 12:16, LobowolfXXX wrote:

That's pretty much what I was thinking.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Good advice, George.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Well at least the adult baby guy has a possible mental condition to blame his welfare fraud on. I don't think this guy has much of a leg to stand on.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localdtw/2......d-stamps
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 00:46, Payne wrote:

I don't think this guy has much of a leg to stand on.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localdtw/2......d-stamps

Agreed. But I don't know that the guy in question ever expected or intended to keep collecting food stamps. As the article notes, he notified the government of his winnings. He probably fully expected to be cut off.

Unless I missed it, the article does not mention whether the fellow has ever made use of food stamps since then. Just that the government told him that he could, and that it keeps crediting his account with them.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, balducci, I know one thing; I want you on my jury . . . .
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 00:56, balducci wrote:

Agreed. But I don't know that the guy in question ever expected or intended to keep collecting food stamps. As the article notes, he notified the government of his winnings. He probably fully expected to be cut off.

Agreed, he probably did expect to get cut off. which is probably the reason he hired the lawyer.

"Leroy Fick, 59, of Auburn won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" last June. But the state's Department of Human Services determined he was still eligible for food stamps, Fick's attorney, John Wilson of Midland, said Tuesday."

I suspect that if one wasn't intending to keep using the food stamps one wouldn't engage the services of an attorney.

Quote:

Unless I missed it, the article does not mention whether the fellow has ever made use of food stamps since then. Just that the government told him that he could, and that it keeps crediting his account with them.

No but it really implies that he's still using them with quotes like.

"If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it," Fick told WNEM-TV in Saginaw on Monday."

"For Leroy Fick to continue to use a Bridge Card, paid for by the taxpayers, after winning the lottery, is obscene," said Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge. "What a waste of taxpayer money."

According to this newscast he's still using them and feels entitled to do so as the "State" took over half his winnings.

And in this newscast he freely admits that he's still using food stamps.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/opinion-15749653/25291742
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The laugh of it is that the lawyer probably costs much more than the value of the food stamps.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
But it's the principle of the thing that counts!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 10:47, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 00:56, balducci wrote:

No but it really implies that he's still using them with quotes like.

"If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it," Fick told WNEM-TV in Saginaw on Monday."

And in this newscast he freely admits that he's still using food stamps.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/opinion-15749653/25291742

At the time I had only read the article I thought the quote was ambiguous ... he might have said you're not going to make me feel bad because he had not used the food stamps since reporting the winnings.

Of course, the video you posted since makes it clear that was not the case.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Taxpayers are paying for this (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL