The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need all of your personal opinions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
I currently have a magic case and two tables on the side , I am currently thinking about purchasing a Joe Lefler magic table/case, I wanted to know the pro's and con's about using one of these for your magic shows for kids.
and is the small one better or the larger joe lefler table?

please help me out

thank you in advance!

Armando
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Armando,

This depends entirely on your show! I will say that Joe does make great stuff.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
In your personal opinion Bob do you use one? as far as presentation wise is it a plus? do your props fit in it good?

Thanks
Armando
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
I use the large Lefler case and couldn't be happier. I bring a side table and put out some of the larger props but do most of the show from the case. I have a custom cover that I velcro on when I do the show and it looks like a professional stage. Easy to load in and out as it has wheels. I say get it.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I use a large Lefler table. I've been using it for 17 years now.

For birthday shows, I use that table only.

For other, larger shows (like school shows, church shows, etc.), I use the Lefler table as my main table, along with a couple of side tables and my backdrop.

BTW, I have several interchangeable signs which I use on the front of my Lefler table, depending upon which show I'm doing.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
BigmagicIV and Donald thank you, sounds like the large lefler table is what I'm going to end up getting. How is the space inside to put bulk props and other non bulk props?

is it a good size? what kind of props fit inside for you guys?

Armando
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
It all depends on how much stuff you need to fit in and the size. You can take out or adjust the middle shelf if you need more space in the bottom of the case. I fit about 40 ft of chains in the bottom of it along with my mic case, a bucket for miser's dream, and a few other things and I can fit lots more stuff on the middle and top shelves.

Lots of ways to configure the inside for maximum storage.

I have the large one - actually I have two of them.

Chad
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Sounds good I think I'm going to go for the large lefler case I'm just wondering if it gits inside my nissan murano hmmmm

Armando
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I have three large Lefler cases and one small. Each of the large cases has a complete 40-min birthday show (with music) packed inside. My small case carries my full street show. I carry one case and my MagicBackdrop into the house in one trip and am ready to perform in less than five minutes. I personally won't use any other case.

Before buying my Element, I carried my cases in the back of a Mazda 626. You shouldn't have any trouble at all getting it into the Murano. Now, that said, a fully loaded case can be heavy. I bought the Element specifically because of the lower tailgate for easy loading. Do keep that in mind.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
We own two of the large Lefler tables and while I have probably not seen every one on the market, I would venture to say that Joe Lefler's are the best!
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Think carefully about your show first. What do you plan to do?

Do you need an open-top table to disappear silks or sponge -balls (get a Laflin style table) or do you need to grab things off a shelf so you are out of view of the audience? I choose to use one of each and a plain table with a basket on it for my kids shows. The solid topped table is great for Startosphere, the half-open topped table for ditching silks etc.

Personally, I hate being behind a table so limit this to a smooth 1/2 second to grab my strait-jacket or puppy puppet. Others seem to spend an age doing so.

I was doing magic professionally for four years before I felt I got the balance right using tables (and I still wonder now.) in the end dad made me a solid-topped wheeled table and a Laflin style table with a half-top that collapses to fit inside.

It is the most important dec ison to make personally. Do what feels right for you.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I had a large Lefler table for almost 20 years and never did a show without it. Bought a smaller size Lefler, so I'd use whichever was appropriate for the particular venue. Love them, they're virually indestructable. Quick hint, paint the interior wood parts grey. I also bought a Viking "Pro-Table" and it was great, but a little heavy. I actually preferred a single handle on the top rather than the 2 handled style of the Viking. HOWEVER, I've since sold off all 3 of these and bought an "Ultimate Gig Table" from Todd McKinney. With that, you have the benefits of a top surface to work from, an open top (at the same time, nonetheless!) AND...a side table, all incorporated into one wheeled unit. I now use it in virually every show, alongside a Laflin table from Fairchild, which is a more elegant-looking table with the open top and 2 sliding lids.

There's my humble opinion and experience with tables in a paragraph. OH...smaller performances that require a smaller table...for that, I have a "Cube Table", which I believe was also made by Lefler.

Steve
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I love Todd's Ultimate Gig Case. I just have three problems with it. My clientele is upper income which means homes with fine carpets, rugs and wood floors. Some clients are VERY particular about rolling anything - even with clean rubber wheels - across these floors. Since my goal is to gain referrals and be invited back, I want to avoid anything that might annoy the client.

So, first of all, the dual side handles on Todd's case make it difficult, for me, to carry comfortably and easily down narrow halls and up stairs. I love and very much prefer the single top handle on the Lefler tables. The Lefler single handle is actually easier on my back than the double handle case.

Secondly, Comparing the two tables, I believe that my Lefler table holds more than Todd's table. I admit that I could be wrong here as I've never tried to pack my show into Todd's table. I have seen both tables side by side, though, and I believe that Lefler's table offer's greater flexibility on it's space.

Third, it seemed to me that Todd's table had a heavier empty weight than Joe's...and Joe's table is no featherweight. The weight on both tables is due to their solid and sturdy construction. My two oldest Lefler tables are more than 20 years old and show very little wear for the beating I give them. It looks to me as though Todd's table will stand the same test of time.

Aside from those three issues, Todd's table is a brilliant tool for the performer that has no need to worry about the concerns I've mentioned, but I'll still fight tooth and nail to keep my Lefler tables.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I love my large Lefler table....Here are the things I get into mine: Large lota bowl, milk pitcher, magic teapot, sucker die, vanishing bandana, several wands, magic sketchpad, change bag with mismade flag, numerous silks, coins, cards, silks, niffen tube, vanishing coke bottle,a small box to contain thumb tip, sharpies, pencils, etc., and that's just off the top of my head. My only issue with it is you can't lean too hard on the top when opened or the "L" shaped stops won't hold and the table tope will collapse....a rushing three-year old almost cause that to happen with my magic teapot and five real glass tumblesrs on top....it was almost disastrous. But that's the only weak link in my mind....you just have to be aware of it.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
I had a Lefler table fall out the back of a panel van at 35 miles on hour. It took no damage... the things inside did not fair as well but it could have been MUCH worse.

So for the last 20 years that table has been in my show.
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Donald and all others where can I get custom signs for my magic shows that can attach to the lefler table

Armando
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
I also have 2. I keep my preschool show in one and my seniors show in one.

I'll add my recommendation for the same reasons as already mentioned.

As for custom signs & covers, I make mine.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I had my signs made up at a local sign shop.

My sign is on the lower part of the table, and is quite large (21" wide by 22" tall). Some performers have a smaller sign that they use on the upper part of the table (instead), to cover the handle. For me, it didn't matter that the handle showed.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Thank you for all your input, I highly appreciate it and I will be purchasing the large Lefler table.

THANKS!

Armndo
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I've thought about getting one, but was very leery of the weight and the size. Not sure I would be able to lift into the trunk of my Toyota Camry, or fit it into the back seat. I'm sure I could custom-build one that would fit (I'd love to buy a new car to fit a Lefler table, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon!), but I'd still worry about the weight. Especially if I get more than one show in a day.

Currently, I have a table based on the three-piece design in Mark Wilson's "Complete Course in Magic". I squared off the front at about 12 inches, and am in the process of mounting it permanently to a collapsing hand truck. The top extends out far enough that when I lock the top on and attach my table cloth, the hand truck doesn't show. A piece of wood on the bottom gives extra support and stability. Everything fits into 12x12 boxes except for my two stools that I also use as side tables. Wheel in, pop two straps, lock on the top and attach the table cloth, and I'm good to go. Plus it's light enough to lift and narrow enough to lay across the back seat of my car.

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need all of your personal opinions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL