The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Where is Roy Kueppers? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Makin' some good points, Mike.

If I was Roy (or Todd, or Jamie) I would be here posting on the Café all the time. What a great way to stay in touch with customers!

Just a thought...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3988 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
"Roy, would you...?"

"Todd, could you...?"

"Jaime, why can't you...?"

"Hey, Roy/Todd/Jaime, why didn't you answer the poster's question...???"

My guess is they probably don't post here for good reasons! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 23:42, billappleton wrote:
If I was Roy (or Todd, or Jamie) I would be here posting on the Café all the time. What a great way to stay in touch with customers!

Just a thought...

Roy does have a post on the first page of this thread. His member name is mysta-magic.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 22:32, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 22:05, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Estimation of how long things take is a problem with any quality custom builder of one time items, whether artwork, writing songs, writing books, or making high-quality gaffs. Only common, mass produced items can be made on a schedule. Give them all a break, guys!

No offense, but you still don't get it do you? ... if Roy reports it will be ready in one week, and it takes about four months, Roy was not being honest. That is what this thread is mostly about. It is not about his quality. It is not about the best priced. It is not about who makes the best. It is simply about about the big difference in time he mentions he will ship the coins.

No offense taken. I actually agree with you about the value of this thread in warning Café members of Roy's problems in estimating time of completion. As I wrote in an earlier post:
Quote:
I think the great thing about this thread is that it gives us advance warning about what to expect when buying from Roy. For me, quality is paramount, not how quick I get it. Pete's experience is all I need to know about Roy. He's apparently a "pleaser", and he gives unrealistic (hopeful?) estimates to try to satisfy his customers. If he had a facilitator who had a more realistic understanding of how long he is going to take, or could send out emails when he gets really busy and has to put his custom work aside for a few weeks, then there wouldn't be as much of a problem. Alas, that would also increase the price.

I see your point, J-Mac, but so long as you are forewarned (by these threads) there shouldn't be a problem in ordering from Roy (or Schoolcraft, or Lassen, for that matter).

My point is these guys are not Wall Mart - there is no complaint department. When you are criticizing their business, they are likely taking it a lot more personally than you realize. As Todd wrote on his blog the other day, verbal "hugs and gentle reminders are welcome" - but nasty comments about his business practices are generally not well received. Unfortunately, some of the critical comments here on the Café have tended to be far sharper than perhaps is necessary or productive. For example, comparing Roy's delays to a performer showing up drunk to a kid's birthday party. That's kind of harsh.

Alan
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-11-30 04:10, BanzaiMagic wrote:
For example, comparing Roy's delays to a performer showing up drunk to a kid's birthday party. That's kind of harsh.

Don't get me wrong. I was not saying they had the same value. There are examples that are less stronger and more stronger. I just wanted to a realistic example I thought of quickly referring to how our customers would look at us, not meaning them as the same value.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Let's find out where he lives and do a "Occupy Roy" for more truthful turnaround times for his products.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7039 Posts

Profile of bowers
Received my custom made dollar sun and moon set and a reverse dollar moon and sun set today. These are sweet! Excellent craftsmanship. It took about 10 weeks well worth it.
todd
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
One of the things that has frustrated me is I see people on here who ordered and got their coins, and I'm still waiting. Mine have been ordered in September and I just now got an e-mail saying they have been sent, even though other people have ordered and got their order while I'm still waiting. My experience has been that of dynamikes, I was told at the beginning it would take two weeks, and after that every week I got an e-mail saying they would be done that week, but next week it was the same. Hopefully, they are in the mail now like he said, and they are good quality. If the coins are good, I'm still happy. The only thing I would like to see change in Roy's service is a more accurate time estimate. If I had been told it may be a few months, I wouldn't have any problems at all. It's just I was told they would be shipped 2 weeks after order, and it's been 14 weeks. That's 7x longer than what I was told. I also feel like I've been forgotten sever times, given that later orders were filled for other people, so it's not a matter of "he's just busy".
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
There are a bunch of folks posting to this thread who should never buy custom coins.
Stick with Tango, Johnson, etc.

Face it, you're just not "custom coin" material.

If you were, you'd let the craftsman do his job in the time it takes him to finish it, whatever that might be.
That some folks can't wait without complaining reveals more about "the waiter" than it does the custom coin maker.

I waited 8 months for some of Todd's coins, with only the promise that they were "on the job wheel". No problem, and glad to get them when they were done.

That's what "custom" means...they're not sitting on a shelf waiting to ship.
Rick11
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Rick11
[quote]On 2011-11-25 19:13, Rick11 wrote:
[quote]On 2011-10-20 18:52, Rick11 wrote:
I special ordered a slippery sam with 3 shaved inserts in Eisenhower dollars from Roy to use for "Ultimate 3 Fly". I'll let you know when I receive them!

Rick

I received an email today from Roy. It is being shipped thru Paypal shipping and should arrive in 4-6 business days. The order was placed on Oct 13th. If the coins arrive on schedule, I will be very satisfied.

Rick

My Eisenhower coin set arrived today and they are perfect! Roy has answered every email promptly and the special order took less than 2 months. Great service, Thanks Roy!

Rick
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-12-06 19:39, silverking wrote:
There are a bunch of folks posting to this thread who should never buy custom coins.

Let me correct that for you. "There are a bunch of folks posting to this thread who should never buy custom coins from Roy Kueppers because he has not been honest". Next time I will order custom coins from Schoolcraft or Lassen because there are no complaints on the review board about them.
Quote:
I waited 8 months for some of Todd's coins, with only the promise that they were "on the job wheel". No problem, and glad to get them when they were done.

If Todd told me 9 months, and it took 9 months no problem. Roy told me next week, and it took 4 months. Do you see a difference Silverking?
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
This is better than what I hear at the DMV...well as far as for broken record style discussions go. And there isn't even a language barrier on this one.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Smile Yea I understand. The reason is because when new viewers enter this thread they do not read all the post. I have to explain it again and again.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
So you have to wait?...so what?

You're really only continuing to whine about the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.
It was tiresome to read a month ago, and it's tiresome to read now.

You'd be best to buy coins off-the-shelf for that "instant satisfaction" vibe.

I hate to disillusion you, but when you order from ANY custom coin maker, you're going to wait longer than you either want, or were told you would have to wait.
Custom coin makers are ONE guy at a lathe turning coins, and that "one guy" doesn't have any magic dust that makes the real-world and his real-life move over so Dynamike can get his coins faster.

Maybe the coin-maker gets sick, somebody close to him gets sick, somebody dies, he gets in a car accident, his lathe breaks and he has to wait for parts from Germany, he breaks a bone in his finger and can't turn, he sprains his finger and can't turn, he takes some unscheduled time off because he's desperate for some time off...like I said, that's why it's called "custom"...don't want to accommodate these kinds of delays, then DON'T order custom coins.

To the statement that Roy told you "next week"?...big deal, you got your coins, and had to wait a bit longer than you thought you'd have to wait.
It sounds like exactly what it is...guy with limited patience, ordering a product that requires patience, and complaining endlessly about the fact that he ordered a product requiring patience, when he has absolutely no patience.

Most one-off custom makers are guilty of underestimating the time it will take for actual shipment to their customer...does that bother you?
If it does, DON'T buy custom.

Order off-the-shelf... some guys just aren't cut out for custom made coins.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
May I suggest Dynamike that Soup to Nuts on this forum is the perfect venue and subject header for you to express your disappointment.
You might have a larger audience to evangelize the highly sinful dishonest behavior of Independent Craftsman Roy Kuepper's Bait and Switch tactics regarding his turnaround time.
A move over there would be a great thing I think.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Below is the exact description for the forum Soup to Nuts:

The forum description says it all:

What do you look for when shopping for magic?
What criteria do you use when deciding which dealer receives your hard earned cash, and why some may never hear from you again?
This forum is NOT to discuss specific dealers, but rather the things they do that make you glad, or make you mad. Voice your ideas and thoughts here
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
@ silverking. I can see you are getting just as much heated up about reading my post on this thread. The best advice I can give you is don't read my post. I am just expressing my feelings of how Roy did me wrong. There is no need for you to get angry over it. Me buying custom made coins is my prerogative. It has nothing to do with you. You getting mad about re-reading my post is your prerogative.

@ rklew64. Thanks man, but I feel no need to let it out of this thread. I am not trying to put Roy out of business. There are some members who did not have to wait as long as I did. And there is not enough members mentioning they were unsatisfied with his work.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5332 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Wow! Not sure whether to laugh or just shake my head at this thread. It's interesting enough that the complainers are still posting about their same old complaints, but more surprising that those complaining about the complainers feel the need to stop in and throw their stuff around! Who really cares? Apparently Roy doesn’t feel offended enough to post defending his business; he lets his reputation speak for itself. Might be something to learn there...

Jim
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 11:31, J-Mac wrote:
Who really cares?

Amen to that Jim.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
After waiting four months waiting for an order I sent Roy an email asking what was up. No reply.

So I complained to the Better Business Bureau, The US Postal Inspector, PayPal, and the Canadian Consumer Protection Agency.

At this point I just want the money back.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Where is Roy Kueppers? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL