The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Where is Roy Kueppers? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
788 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Ok maybe I'll go that route...the coins I'm needing I'd rather have quickly then wait months for...thanks for the link!
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Just ordered my first gaff from roy (an ellusionist artifact coin exp [ ) communication was perfect!
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
788 Posts

One more question in reference to the mark mason coins...is the flipper quiet?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7039 Posts

Profile of bowers
Yes trooper it is quiet.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
788 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-09-24 18:36, bowers wrote:
Yes trooper it is quiet.

Thank you!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Keep all of your orders up to date with us.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I ordered a set of artifact coins with an expanded shell and a pro flipper, around the 5th or 6th of this month. Before I placed the order, he said it would take about 2 weeks before it was shipped. It's going on four, and they haven't been shipped. I do agree with Dynamike, It would be nice to get a better estimate. If I knew they were going to take longer I still would have ordered them, but now expectations weren't met and it makes me anxious. All of my E-mails were answered with in 24 hours before the order was placed. Now, I wait a week or more with no response and have to send it again before I get a reply. On the other side, however, he was very helpful and friendly when he was helping be decide on what I wanted, and answering all of my questions. Hopefully the wait will be over soon and the coins will be great!

And just to clarify, I have no "beef" with Mr. Roy. Other than a few missed e-mails, he's been great to work with, despite me annoying him with all of my picky questions!
As far as missing those e-mails, I'm sure he gets a lot of them and that it would be easy to miss one. I can't imagine being as busy as he is!
Rick11
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Rick11
I special ordered a slippery sam with 3 shaved inserts in Eisenhower dollars from Roy to use for "Ultimate 3 Fly". I'll let you know when I receive them!

Rick
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 13:40, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
Before I placed the order, he said it would take about 2 weeks before it was shipped. It's going on four, and they haven't been shipped. I do agree with Dynamike, It would be nice to get a better estimate. If I knew they were going to take longer I still would have ordered them, but now expectations weren't met and it makes me anxious. All of my E-mails were answered with in 24 hours before the order was placed. Now, I wait a week or more with no response and have to send it again before I get a reply.

I think we should all start considering our custom gaff makers as "artists" rather than businessmen. On another thread, someone was asking about "brands" - as in, whether the Schoolcraft, Lassen or Kueppers brand is better. I don't think "brand" is the right way to think about these guys. With the exception of Tango and Johnson (and perhaps Mark Mason), most of our best gaff makers are one-man outfits who care more about the quality of the gaffs they produce than how quick they can do it. They don't have gofers, facilitators or people to run interference for them, like the bigger outfits do. I basically judge by 1) quality 2) honesty 3) sincere effort to communicate (in that order). Everything else just doesn't matter to me.

So far, I haven't read anything on this thread to make me think badly of Roy - he is apparently just really busy. In my opinion, if he misplaces an email or takes a while to respond and you have to send a second (or third) email to him, that's no biggie compared to, say, if he were to send out cruddy work and wasn't willing to make it right or otherwise acted dishonestly.

Just my opinion.

Alan
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5332 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Alan, I understand your sentiment, however once an "artist" starts conducting business he must act as a businessman whether he likes it or not! If you're a one-man operation then only take on an amount of work that a one-man operation can handle. Sorry but that's a requirement if you want to conduct business. Otherwise people will start to call you something else entirely.

Thanks!

Jim
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3988 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Things don't/won't change until the "bottom line" is affected. The best usually never have to worry about this, however. On the other hand, it seems that many know what to expect going in when they order a coin gaff, so there should be no real surprises.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
PetePennekett
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of PetePennekett
I have to say I can relate to people feeling a little frustrated by the delivery times. I've made one purchase from Roy, so here's my story: (It ends happily, for the record)

I contacted Roy about having a wooden magic wand made last Christmas, we very quickly got through the spec (Roy was particularly helpful with suggestions, etc.) and I sent through payment sometime around the end of December last year. Over the next 5-6 months we had some back and forth, and there was an issue similar to the one Dynamike mentioned whereby I was several times told that it would be sent "this week" and it turned out not to be. When I did receive the wand I was initially pretty annoyed - I'd ordered a 2 piece wand and the one that came was only a single piece. I was just about to write back to him, and was twirling the wand between my fingers when my wife asked me what the problem was. I explained I had wanted a 2 piece wand, which would unscrew "like this... Oh!".

Turns out the join in the wood was so good that I couldn't see or feel it, and it was indeed the 2 piece wand I'd asked for. Morale of the story (At least for me), you might have to wait a while but *** he's a good craftsman!

I certainly agree to some extent with J-Mac - My background is in business rather than craft, and as a consequence I tend to value things like customer service and timeliness. Whilst I am ultimately very happy with my purchase, and I would go back to Roy and reccommend his products to others, I would say you have to expect people to call you out on it if you don't deliver in a timely fashion. I noticed earlier in the thread someone saying that asking 'Is Roy OK?' sent off the wrong message, but I'm afraid that if you don't want that kind of thing posted on the internet you really need to give great customer service. Note that this isn't aimed at Roy, as I know it wasn't him that mentioned it.

~ Pete.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 09:03, PetePennekett wrote:
I was initially pretty annoyed - I'd ordered a 2 piece wand and the one that came was only a single piece. I was just about to write back to him, and was twirling the wand between my fingers when my wife asked me what the problem was. I explained I had wanted a 2 piece wand, which would unscrew "like this... Oh!".

Turns out the join in the wood was so good that I couldn't see or feel it, and it was indeed the 2 piece wand I'd asked for. Morale of the story (At least for me), you might have to wait a while but *** he's a good craftsman!

I think the great thing about this thread is that it gives us advance warning about what to expect when buying from Roy. For me, quality is paramount, not how quick I get it. Pete's experience is all I need to know about Roy. He's apparently a "pleaser", and he gives unrealistic (hopeful?) estimates to try to satisfy his customers. If he had a facilitator who had a more realistic understanding of how long he is going to take, or could send out emails when he gets really busy and has to put his custom work aside for a few weeks, then there wouldn't be as much of a problem. Alas, that would also increase the price.

I see your point, J-Mac, but so long as you are forewarned (by these threads) there shouldn't be a problem in ordering from Roy (or Schoolcraft, or Lassen, for that matter).

Regards,

Alan
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7039 Posts

Profile of bowers
Always remember great thngs take time.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Oh gawd, when will it stop already. Order...Delayed...Delivered.
another episode in gaff coin drama. yes, I have ordered from Roy and will plan to continue to do so. He is no freaking Waldo or Carmen Sandiego - jeez.
Jeff Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Jeff Christensen
I ordered and paid for a set of coins to be made. This was during the first week of August.
It's now 3 months. Several emails I sent went unanswered and then out of the blue I get a message saying that he's working on my coins and thanks for my patience. It's now almost a month since that email and no coins or further communication. Hopefully my coins will arrive soon.

Jeff
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
860 Posts

Profile of boydy
I ordered 2 coins last week, got an email the same day saying thanks and that they have been sent!

That is service if you ask me.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7039 Posts

Profile of bowers
Were these custom made boydy
JoshuaD
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
77 Posts

Profile of JoshuaD
I called him last week twice and no answer so he is probably really busy.
Joshua
Jeff Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Jeff Christensen
I finally heard from Roy and he was quite apologetic that he'd run into a problem with my custom coin set and needed to acquire new coins. Because the coins were rare it took him longer than expected. I feel much better now that I've heard back from him and am looking forward to receiving my custom coin set. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Where is Roy Kueppers? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL