The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Conspiracy Theories are for the simpletons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
What conspiracy theorists don't get - and they never get it - is, that they do exactly, what they accuse the government/media/authorities/unknown dark forces of doing allegedly: obfuscating the truth. It must be comfy to live in a self-immunizing and well-arranged belief system, in which the conspiracy theorist - thanks to his well trained selective perception - only sees what he wants to see. If there weren't enough conspiracy theorists already doing the job for free, governments, secret services and intelligence literally would have to to invent them. I mean, if you want to keep certain things about your military test programs secret, blame it on the aliens. See Roswell. But they didn't need to invent a weird story to misdirect the public. In the fifties and sixties, the air force probably couldn't be happier, that there was a constant supply of fools who kept the alien tale alive.

The good thing is, that most conspiracy therories are so dumb or too obviously wrong, that they only make for good entertainment or templates for lame Hollywood scripts (Roswell, Moon conspiracy, Lady Di's death in Paris).

Get yourself a sharp-edged Occam's razor, one of the best tools you can possibly have to bushwhack through the conflicting mass media mix of news, facts, rumours and gossip.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Thanks Tommy. But I already knew how to pronounce Reichstagsbrand.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Which proves that all Germans do not wear bullet-proof vests and ear plugs all of the time.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Of course there is no such thing as a Conspiracy. Only idiot's would entertain such a thought.
I,m curious. What set you off?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 05:14, Uli Weigel wrote:
Thanks Tommy. But I already knew how to pronounce Reichstagsbrand.

Well, do you roll your R as much as the guy in the recording?

:)
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Haha, no, I don't.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I grew up on the story of the Reichstagsbrand and the heroic peroration of Georgi Dimitrov. He may have been poisoned by Josef Stalin 16 years later, but that might be just another conspiracy story . . . there is still an heroic statue of him in Cotonou, Republic of Benin . . . .
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Yes, there is absolutely no validity to these allegations. It is pure lucency to think otherwise.

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
At the risk of being banal, it might be worthwhile to point out that some conspiracies are nonsense and some are true. It helps to look at the evidence, motive, and opportunity just like any crime.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Interesting... can you name a conspiracy that turned out to be true?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 12:02, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Interesting... can you name a conspiracy that turned out to be true?

The Lincoln Assasination
Watergate
The Gunpowder Plot
The Oklahoma City bombing
Enron
Iran Contra
Gulf of Tonkin
Bay of Pigs
Tuskegee Syphilis Study
Black sox Scandal
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I agree most conspiracy theories are complete garbage and the O.P. hit the nail exactly right on the head. Granted there has been a very few that have had any truth to them at all. However a couple of the ones that have been listed here as true. Have never been proven to be true. More than likely never will be proven.

A good many of the conspiracy fans/fanatics have way too much time on their hands. Also a good many of them can't tell fact from fiction.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Con·spir·a·cy (kn-spîr-s)
n. pl. con·spir·a·cies
1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
2. A group of conspirators.
3. Law An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas.

conspiracy [kənˈspɪrəsɪ]
n pl -cies
1. a secret plan or agreement to carry out an illegal or harmful act, esp with political motivation; plot
2. the act of making such plans in secret
conspirator n
conspiratorial [kənˌspɪrəˈtɔːrɪəl], conspiratory adj
conspiratorially adv
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It appears that almost any criminal act could be a conspiracy. I believe the modern concept is when it is done by a large organization.

The examples (the ones I was aware of) were criminal acts or military actions. None were as sinister as they play out in movies or TV.

Perhaps the term is too broad?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I think Narib hit that on the head too for the most part. One could say that any action good or bad is one person or persons conspiring to carry out such action and then doing so or making the attempt or whatever. Conspiracy maybe too broad of a term but what other term could fit such things? Nut job way of thinking would fit well possibly ?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
RS1963-

By definition a conspiracy requires at least two participants and the goal must be of a criminal nature. Although the act doesn't need to be completed to make conspiracy a crime, there must be at least some physical act towards its completion for criminality to attach.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
From a legal perspective, though, the "act in furtherance" can be extremely (I'll spare you the caps) minimal.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 15:01, mastermindreader wrote:
RS1963-

By definition a conspiracy requires at least two participants and the goal must be of a criminal nature. Although the act doesn't need to be completed to make conspiracy a crime, there must be at least some physical act towards its completion for criminality to attach.

One could just make a threat of harm against someone or something and in some cases that could be considered a crime even if not carried out. For instance. If someone said they wanted to shoot the president. Just saying that alone is enough to be arrested for. Regardless if you were going to do such a thing or not. Lobo knows more about such things than most of us however. I'm not sure if I am completely correct and if not I hope Lobo knows for sure. I have seen a couple people in Vegas who have yelled such things out in public and they were taken in by police or security that was around. Granted the two I heard say such things were kooks anyway but that maybe beside the point.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Believing in conspiracies?

Of injustices hidden by the powers that be?

Don't forget...

There is that elephant in the room.

Smile

Lemme put it this way...

In this matter, I blame that special human trait that enables him/her to believe wholeheartedly without any real proof.

Also called faith.

But that, is a whole other can of worms you don't want to open here... Smile

So I'll leave it at that.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 15:46, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 15:01, mastermindreader wrote:
RS1963-

One could just make a threat of harm against someone or something and in some cases that could be considered a crime even if not carried out. For instance. If someone said they wanted to shoot the president. Just saying that alone is enough to be arrested for. Regardless if you were going to do such a thing or not. Lobo knows more about such things than most of us however. I'm not sure if I am completely correct and if not I hope Lobo knows for sure. I have seen a couple people in Vegas who have yelled such things out in public and they were taken in by police or security that was around. Granted the two I heard say such things were kooks anyway but that maybe beside the point.

The offenses you are talking about have nothing to do with the offense of conspiracy, and I'm sure Lobo will agree. I, myself, was a criminal trial lawyer for 10 years before I became a full time performer and am well aware of the unique elements required to prove conspiracy.

Good thoughts,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Conspiracy Theories are for the simpletons (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL