The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Conspiracy Theories are for the simpletons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 15:59, mastermindreader wrote:
I, myself, was a criminal trial lawyer for 10 years


I *thought* you seemed conspicuously rational.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 16:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 15:59, mastermindreader wrote:
I, myself, was a criminal trial lawyer for 10 years


I *thought* you seemed conspicuously rational.


:eek:
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I knew they weren't the same and I guess I really didn't have a point but then again do I ever?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
One of the latest conspiracy theories:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/us/25tucson.html?_r=1

"Some conspiracy Web sites are claiming that the shootings that nearly killed Representative Gabrielle Giffords and did end the lives of a federal judge, a 9-year-old girl and four others never actually took place. One particularly bizarre site, run by a Texas man, says it was all a government hoax that used actors. Such obviously fantastic claims would usually not merit the attention of law enforcement, but they have in this instance because some believers have been confronting, and alarming, some of the people associated with the case in recent weeks."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Oh God that is pure stupidity right there. It also proves how out there quite a few of the C.T. fans are. They claim they are well educated etc. Obviously they aren't or they wouldn't have such weak minds to begin with.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think the last paragraph of the NYT story sums it up very well:

“The bigger the story is, the more likely it is that someone will consider it a hoax,” Mr. Radford said. “In my experience, there is no belief that is so absurd or self-evidently wrong that someone won’t prescribe [sic] to it.”

Good thoughts,

Bob
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 18:50, balducci wrote:
One of the latest conspiracy theories:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/us/25tucson.html?_r=1

"Some conspiracy Web sites are claiming that the shootings that nearly killed Representative Gabrielle Giffords and did end the lives of a federal judge, a 9-year-old girl and four others never actually took place. One particularly bizarre site, run by a Texas man, says it was all a government hoax that used actors. Such obviously fantastic claims would usually not merit the attention of law enforcement, but they have in this instance because some believers have been confronting, and alarming, some of the people associated with the case in recent weeks."



I didn't think Tommy or Chance lived in Texas.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The bigger the lie the more they think it's a hoax?

I don't agree.

Take religion for instance. Smile (Yup, I said it.)
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
No, Pakar, that's not what the quote said. It's "the bigger the story is, the more likely it is that someone will consider it a hoax." In the context of the article he is using the word 'story' to mean 'news story' or 'event', not as a synonym for 'lie.'

Best-

Bob
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Oo, okay then. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Criminal plotting is of course a conspiracy.

But when people talk about Conspiracy Theories, they mean theories that posit a conspiracy in situations where the idea of the conspiracy (and the logistics of the conspirators ever having a snowball's chance of keeping it secret) is so ludicrous that only a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very stupid person could ever believe it to have any substance.

So it applies to theories about conspiracies where thousands of people across various agencies and even governments would have to be disciplined enough not to leak the plot over many years - such as the idea of faked moon landings, the UK government assassination of a Princess and the notion that 911 was a Jewish plot.

As Uri says, apply Occam's Razor or, as I would say, use your loaf. For example, the first images/audio of the moon landing were beamed to and received by a radio telescope tracking station in Australia. Pretty hard to get the Australian government and busloads of astronomy boffins to help NASA fake such an event...

So, if you believe any of those things listed, and various other conspiracies that kick around the innernets, you are a very stupid person indeed.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
468 Posts

Profile of Ross
There are some unbelievably ignorant posts in this thread.

Everything your government tells you is true. Believe everything you read in the papers. The mainstream media is your friend. There's nothing to see here folks, move along...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Cue X-Files music.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 13:57, ASW wrote:
Criminal plotting is of course a conspiracy.

But when people talk about Conspiracy Theories, they mean theories that posit a conspiracy in situations where the idea of the conspiracy (and the logistics of the conspirators ever having a snowball's chance of keeping it secret) is so ludicrous that only a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very stupid person could ever believe it to have any substance.

So it applies to theories about conspiracies where thousands of people across various agencies and even governments would have to be disciplined enough not to leak the plot over many years - such as the idea of faked moon landings, the UK government assassination of a Princess and the notion that 911 was a Jewish plot.

As Uri says, apply Occam's Razor or, as I would say, use your loaf. For example, the first images/audio of the moon landing were beamed to and received by a radio telescope tracking station in Australia. Pretty hard to get the Australian government and busloads of astronomy boffins to help NASA fake such an event...

So, if you believe any of those things listed, and various other conspiracies that kick around the innernets, you are a very stupid person indeed.


Very well said. It takes a very naive person to believe in 99% of the C.T.'s
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I also love the CTs that involve half of the best-known historical figures over the past 1,000 years . . .
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 04:30, Uli Weigel wrote:
What conspiracy theorists don't get...or too obviously wrong, that they only make for good entertainment ...through the conflicting mass media mix of news, facts, rumours and gossip.


Which is also called distraction or misdirection.

The question folks don't like to ask goes something like: "what would it mean to me if what happened was just what happened and how folks deal with it is all about them?"
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
"What in my belief system would have to change if They were right?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 23:24, landmark wrote:
"What in my belief system would have to change if They were right?"


kinda depends on which "they".
For the most part - not much - but for fun try the "one sentence persuasion course" for a glimpse at this stuff from an entertainment perspective and "poker without cards" for a lead to some games using that theme. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Meant as a general inquiry that could be useful in any situation.

Yes, I remember the OSP link you once posted. Interesting presentation.

"Poker without Cards"? Hmm, hard enough with cards, but I'll give it a look.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Great, and in the mean time -have you checked out "The Silence" in this season's Dr Who?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Conspiracy Theories are for the simpletons (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL