The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 0 to booked solid (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I have both the Jim Snack thing and Munton's course. Jim's course is one of those dreadful e-book things which I consider against the laws of nature so I got bored with it very quickly and eventually the whole thing disappeared into cyberspace never to be seen again. Jim Snack is much more polite than Munton who insists on wearing a silly baseball cap during his shows and does the dreadful hot book and the equally awful bra trick. And he doesn't like either the Dr Sack Dice trick or my wonderful Choo Choo train trick.

However, I would have to say that although he is a very rude man I think his course is actually far better than Jim Snacks and I will tell you why. He has one feature that Snack doesn't and it is a very useful one indeed. I have already mentioned it. It is his facility to add comments after each little lesson. You can comment or ask a question and he will answer you very soon after. It is the equivalent of someone putting up their hand in class to ask a question.

Not one other course of this nature has this feature and it is a very good one. And you get a feeling as you go through the course that it is just a side amusement for him. You don't get the impression that he is making a living out of his course and that he is actually busy out doing shows. I consider that to be a very good thing because it shows he is practising what he preaches. I get a vibe from the other courses out there that the presenter of the course is making his money teaching how to get shows rather than actually getting any themselves.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
I did a quick inside peek video of Zero to Booked Solid that I shared with http://www.magiccoach.com subscribers some time back.
You can actually see exactly what you get with the product, the range of articles etc. As Mark pointed out earlier, the forum/comments section is a valuable component of this.

I've just put the video back up on our youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicCoach2010
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Yes. I just watched that and found it interesting. While I was there I looked at the cruise ship video as well since I have never worked on a ship before. Your video put me off it for life. I didn't realise what a tiny hole of a cabin you get alotted. Truly awful. I suppose the passengers get something a bit better.
As a Svengali pitchman I always stayed in the best hotels. I should have counted my blessings.

Still, we mustn't go off topic.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I bought Jim Snack's course when I had to move abroad. I studied it carefully and felt it helped a bit. On my own advice, I decided that I would keep my move to Germany a secret from my clients. I continued doing corporate shows and block-bookings all across the USA. There was not a drop in my shows whatsoever. Small single-show clients were told that I was already booked for that date and I tried to network a future block-booking to include them.

Then word leaked out that I was living abroad, because I said something to a client about needing to come in early due to jet lag. The information got posted online, which came up readily in Google searches, and my bookings dropped.

My free marketing advice is: Simply market yourself as a 'touring artist', find your 'hook', find your market, and get connected with several arts councils across the USA. That should keep you busy and you can continue to live in Billings. As long as you are within two-hours of an airport you should be fine! Of course, it will take more than this, but put your money into some really good marketing programs, do your research and you will bloom!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Consider however, Autumn, that you are of a level of experience and excellence in both professional performance and business to make your pathway possible.

It is not for those still building a quality act or the faint of heart. Some performers are the exception to the rule like you are ready for this, and some are just not yet at your level.

My take is not to encourage just anyone to take your advice on this topic.

My two-cents, Walt
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Autumn Morning Star

How's the market for your act in Germany?

NM
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2011-07-12 14:26, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Consider however, Autumn, that you are of a level of experience and excellence in both professional performance and business to make your pathway possible. It is not for those still building a quality act or the faint of heart. Some performers are the exception to the rule like you are ready for this, and some are just not yet at your level. My take is not to encourage just anyone to take your advice on this topic.
My two-cents, Walt

Hey Walt,
Thank you for your kind words. Normally, I would agree wholeheartedly with you, but I think that this young man's dad is a professional magician, complete with magic shop. So, if I am correct, I think he has a leg-up on most beginners. Please correct me if I am wrong, Kameron!
~~~~~~~~
NM, Yes, my show really kicks in Germany! I do it in German and most Germans love American Indians.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Sidney
View Profile
New user
85 Zombie Kills and their heads hung on
94 Posts

Profile of Sidney
Dear James,
Would this system work as well as it does for magicians for a performer that does Psychic Readings and does not work kiddie shows ?

Thank You,
Sid
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Sid,

My course is not only for kids performers. A good chunk of my income is from adult events and I often work those with fortune tellers.
However, if you are doing coffee shop readings and psychic fairs, that is beyond the scope of my course.

Feel free to PM me and we can have a chat. If it turns out my course is not quite right for you, I can still give you some pointers.

Best,
James
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Autumn: That is correct. My dad has been a professional magician since before I was born, as well as a magic shop that started as a hobby, and then grew to a retail store since I was 14 or so. for the next 14 years I have either done shows or worked in the shop or both.

The reason people think I'm new to this, is that before I did the shows part time mostly, now I am trying to quit some of my more normal jobs and do just shows and lessons. Its been about a year since I started to go at this fully and it is going well. I recently got an article written about me in a local family magazine, working on some radio ads I got for trading some shows. started traveling more (just did a show about 3 1/2 hours away, which is not typical for me) and have been getting a few calls a week. Theres a few thing I've start implementing from James course, and it's already made a huge improvement to my show! I cant thank James enough, he's one of the best guys out there in my mind.

So again, no I am not a beginner, I am a beginner in marketing and going full time, but I've already quadrupled my shows and lessons this year. I would LOVE to travel and stay in Billings. I've seen many people at my level or lower come to Billings to do a show. I know it's possible. Just got to get a good enough show down to market.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I just used a suggestion that James provides in his course to book shows when the client cannot afford your asking price. It was a Daycare Center that said her customary cost for hiring such entertainment was half what I was charging. The idea James offered is not mine to share, but I will share that I booked her at my full price. Thanks James!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 0 to booked solid (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL