The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Torn - good for strolling? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
In addition to angles, I am also a bit concerned about the thickness of some pieces if the audience it too close. Would love to hear from someone who performs TORN as to how practical it is in non-parlor/stage situations.
lukecloughmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of lukecloughmagic
Personally I love Shaun Farquhars Torn 2 Pieces, its something I do everywhere I go and do at all my strolling parties/weddings etc. Granted it takes a little bit of a set up before you leave but once you get used to it it doesn't take long at all!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 12:46, Blindside785 wrote:
The ones I see fitting the bill are

Torched and Restored by Brent (which I've been practicing for hours on end since I bought it from him)
Quarterly Returns
Paul Harris' Ultimate Rip-Off

...I don't have it, but Cameron Francis' Rehab looks quite good, I should pick it up. I'm beginning to be a T&R freak.

I love Torched and Restored but even though it envolves an extra prop, Chaptrick you can do Perfectly surrounded but IS NOT A PIECE BY PIECE!! Vinny would love to hear some off your favs on this. Torn Too Although great I have a personal thing with it. I love it just don't have the confidense of doing it... Its a Light thing....

I have also read a bit on Shaun Farquhars Torn 2 Pieces and seems really good just not sure on the prep and how practical it is for Strolling..

Also wanted to add the Counterfiet Hollingsworth from Wayne Houchin has really nice angles and with proper management I think you might be able to do this almost fully surrounded..
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
Quote:
On 2011-06-09 14:44, lukecloughmagic wrote:
Personally I love Shaun Farquhars Torn 2 Pieces, its something I do everywhere I go and do at all my strolling parties/weddings etc. Granted it takes a little bit of a set up before you leave but once you get used to it it doesn't take long at all!

Torn 2 pieces is great, but actually Shaun ripped this off. The original is by Dan Harlan and it is called Crazy 8.

However mismade effects are great!
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 16:03, bsears wrote:
In addition to angles, I am also a bit concerned about the thickness of some pieces if the audience it too close. Would love to hear from someone who performs TORN as to how practical it is in non-parlor/stage situations.

Trust me this effect rocks! There is some serious heavy weight magic going on here...
The spectator has a genuine and free choice of any card in the deck. No force of any kind required (just how nice is that?)
The spectator signs the card.
The card is cleanly and visibly torn into 4 clear and distinct pieces directly in front of the spectator
The 4 pieces are then set alight and burned.
The 4 torn and burnt pieces are then visibly restored directly in front of the spectator.
The card can immediately be handed out for inspection or given to the spectator as a souvenir
There is an istantaneous reset and the effect can be immediately repeated with any other card in the deck.
It is easy (genuinely) to perform!
Really, what more could a performer ask for? I have genuinely seen spectators mouths drop open in astonishment
when I have restored the card in front of them. I use this for strolling and street performances every time
(and I do mean everytime) I perform. As as said - this thing rocks!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2011-06-10 05:53, mattmagic149 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-09 14:44, lukecloughmagic wrote:

Torn 2 pieces is great, but actually Shaun ripped this off. The original is by Dan Harlan and it is called Crazy 8.

However mismade effects are great!

I appreciate that English may be your second language, but to say that Shawn 'ripped this off' is unfair - I say this based on Dan Harlan & Shawn Farquhar's communications where both seemed happy...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Whatcha all think of Blake Vogt's R3F4M?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2011-06-11 18:06, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:

It's good, It just depends on your style.

In REF4M, you have to tear the pieces which is something I don't like too much.

I'd rather do Torched & Restored or Ultimate Rip-off.

I'm awaiting Counterfeit Hollingworth to come in the mail, I'm excited to see how that goes.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2011-06-11 18:26, Blindside785 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-11 18:06, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:

It's good, It just depends on your style.

In REF4M, you have to tear the pieces which is something I don't like too much.

I'd rather do Torched & Restored or Ultimate Rip-off.

I'm awaiting Counterfeit Hollingworth to come in the mail, I'm excited to see how that goes.

Love it
Ryan Bliss
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Ryan Bliss
I have put a lot of work into his Torn routine. Im very happy that someone put out a very nice, pretty, and magical looking TNR Card effect that does not use wacky gimmicks or weird handling. But I would not perform this walk around. With people being all around, I think there are effects MORE suited for the venue. HOWEVER in stand up performance, this fits the ticket nicely.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Ryan - I have come to that conclusion. Having practiced TORN for weeks now, I started doing it in the mirror and sadly found out just how terrible the angles are, especially on the last piece. I love the structure and "purist" feel of the routine, but I'll continue examining the other methods for use in my close-up sets.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I also deal with the "thickness" issue in Rehab. The pieces are never very thick. The thickest they get is toward the end and even then, there is a built in display which completely covers them so people won't see anything.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
mr.matt
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mr.matt
I will tack on a thumbs up for REF4M. I really like the simplicity of it. Just one card.... that's it. I have not performed it yet since I've only owned it a few days, but it looks good so far in the mirror. Probably hit the wife and family with it this weekend.
Ryan Bliss
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Ryan Bliss
Bsears. I undertand the angle issue, this is why I addressed that this is better suited for a stand up "parlor" type venue then walk around.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
An update:

I purchased Rehab from Cameron Francis and have to say it has addressed all of my concerns. It IS very practical for use in a strolling/restaurant environment. Don't make the mistake (like I did) of thinking it was just a variation of Torn, because it's not. It's totally different and has some clever, original thinking that makes it very user friendly.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Torn. Torn is a thing of true beauty and would be perfect for a controlled environment where angles are not an issue. Rehab, however, is a much more practical piece by piece restoration and something I will use frequently.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Although my experience with various T&R's is somewhat limited, I find Cameron's Rehab to be a real worker and quite "angle-friendly".
Angelo
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
In Paul Lepauls book the card magic of Lepaul there is a torn and restored card that is angle proof and also impromptu. A real gem. Even Darwin Ortiz does a version of it in his nothing but the best dvd series.

The card magic of Lepaul: An impromptu torn and restored card; page 161.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I've only played with Torn in the mirror, but I can see the angles causing slight problems on restore of corner 3 and 4...I do like the visual aspect of the effect though...Garcia did a wonderful with Torn
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
You know what after many many years of practicing with certain TNR effects, I have come to what I consider my sole opinion. That is that some effects can only be truly magicial in its creators hands... This effect being one of them. I would say I have a similar style of performing as daniel and I can do this effect flawlessly. Yet I still do not believe it comes off as magical as when DG does it. I mean there are certain nuances and subtleies that he does that ARE his. I wouldnt do them because it wouldnt look right in my hands. So this effect will be an effect that I will play with in my own home, but I do not see me doing this at a paid gig.
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 10:48, Cameron Francis wrote:
Shameless plug but I created my "Rehab: Real World Torn and Restored Card" for strolling and restaurants. it's a piece by piece restoration and the angles are very good. People can watch from the sides, and if you keep it at chest level, you can do it with people behind you. I love Torn but I always got busted on it because of angle issues. That's why I created Rehab. The handling is also very easy.

what you do/say when busted?
I really want to know how to treat these situation professinally
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Torn - good for strolling? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL