The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Torn - good for strolling? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Piasa I know you will like this effect
the godfasther rips you a new one this effect is for wal around table hoping but in the performance I am sitting,
when the magic happens in the spectators this is much more magical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioQ-xxYEuxU
and it is free to anyone that wants the handling
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Hugo, I sent you a PM. But, honestly, I have never been busted doing Rehab. Really. When I hand them the card, they look for the "glue", which, of course, they don't find as it's not glued. Smile
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
I'm probably going to purchase RE4RM. I love that you can do it surrounded, with one signed and it's completly impromptu. My only question is how convincing it is. It didn't fool me the first time I watched it. Does it work well for laymen?
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
First of all, you are not a real "magician", YOu are an actor acting as a magician...

Secondly, what you do are tricks, telling your audience you are not creating a religion. "you are not URI GELLER"
Fourth, put your packet effect as your last routine, perform and say " enjoy your dinner " and walk to other table saying "you're paid by the hours, your boss would't like it"

Third, what you did are called effect, if audience want to learn or inspect they need to pay for it.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Sorry, Charlie, but what the heck are you talking about? I don't get your post.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Cameron... You are not the only one who doesn't get Charlie's post!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
MagicDr
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
111 Posts

Profile of MagicDr
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 13:00, MitchellMac wrote:
Theory11's brought out something called Ref4m. According to them it's a piece by piece restoration that can be done surrounded. I haven't purchased it, but by the looks of the actual trick I'd reckon its not the best looking TnR out on the market. That's just my opinion though.

The Blake Vogt routine is very nice. I have no idea how its done but I've seen it performed with some iffy angles for a regular TnR
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2011-08-24 00:00, paisa23 wrote:
You know what after many many years of practicing with certain TNR effects, I have come to what I consider my sole opinion. That is that some effects can only be truly magicial in its creators hands... This effect being one of them. I would say I have a similar style of performing as daniel and I can do this effect flawlessly. Yet I still do not believe it comes off as magical as when DG does it. I mean there are certain nuances and subtleies that he does that ARE his. I wouldnt do them because it wouldnt look right in my hands. So this effect will be an effect that I will play with in my own home, but I do not see me doing this at a paid gig.

This is a great point, but not sure it holds true for torn. Yes, Daniel does this so well, but he has done it about 5 thousand times. Perhaps it is just that it takes that much practice to do it properly, don't know. I do know that it is a worker for me, and the angle issues are easy to control. I think I get your meaning, though, so I am now wondering how it looks in MY hands... you got me thinking!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
TonyPorter
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of TonyPorter
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 07:29, vinsmagic wrote:
Even if the angles in some resturants are not a problem piece by piece needs some distannce to look good

I absolutely agree 100%. That's not to say that this restriction is a negative for Torn. Many wonderful stage routines are convincing only when performed at a distance.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Sorry to harp ion it, but I don't think rehab needs distance to look good....
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Same with Torn. I have had it done within 4 feet and it was a great effect!
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 13:14, bsears wrote:
Ryan - I have come to that conclusion. Having practiced TORN for weeks now, I started doing it in the mirror and sadly found out just how terrible the angles are, especially on the last piece. I love the structure and "purist" feel of the routine, but I'll continue examining the other methods for use in my close-up sets.

I'm kind of in the same boat. been practicing it, but the angles and handling of the last piece are proving to be problematic. for the third piece, you can bring it out of your pocket ready to attach, so no "get ready" is needed for that piece and the angles are better.

so here's what I'm thinking for the 4th piece:

have only 1/4 of the back of the card signed by the spec. once the third piece is attached, fold the 3rd piece down, and then fold the piece on the right back over it, and then turn the pack over so they can still see their initials on the quarter of the card. so now you've got a folded up card, but they think there's only 3 quarters of the card. you can then pull down with your thumb to steal away the extra piece, and then go to your pocket to "get the 4th piece" you ditch the thing in your hand and come out empty (but pretending to hold the last piece) and then pretend to fuse it onto the card. this obviously isn't a visual restoration, but the angles are good, it's easy, and you finish 100% clean.

to make this better, you could actually pull out a 4th piece... hand the folded up card to the spectator... vanish the 4th piece in your hand... the spectator opens the card to find it totally restored. this is cool because they'll think they are holding 3/4 of their card and that the last piece attached magically in their hand. to make this look the best... the specs card should be forced... and then the magician can write the date or something like that on the face of that 4th quarter of the card. the spec then signs their signiture over the other part of the card. so then when you pull out the 4th quarter from your pocket, it can be the same card with the same date written on the face of that card. so you'll pull out the 4th piece, you show it both sides, show that the face has today's date written on it. then maybe vanish this piece with a TT... they open their hand to find that piece is attached and their card is restored.

hopefully that made sense. you'll probably have to get out some cards and follow along. but this might be a reasonable solution to the angle problems. and even though the 4th restoration isn't as visual... the angles are not an issue, the last piece is restored in the specs hand, and you finish clean... plus no funny handling moves that is required in the get ready for the 4th restoration.

has anyone done this handling before? anyone have any tips or suggestions?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2011-06-11 12:50, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 16:03, bsears wrote:
In addition to angles, I am also a bit concerned about the thickness of some pieces if the audience it too close. Would love to hear from someone who performs TORN as to how practical it is in non-parlor/stage situations.

Trust me this effect rocks! There is some serious heavy weight magic going on here...
The spectator has a genuine and free choice of any card in the deck. No force of any kind required (just how nice is that?)
The spectator signs the card.
The card is cleanly and visibly torn into 4 clear and distinct pieces directly in front of the spectator
The 4 pieces are then set alight and burned.
The 4 torn and burnt pieces are then visibly restored directly in front of the spectator.
The card can immediately be handed out for inspection or given to the spectator as a souvenir
There is an istantaneous reset and the effect can be immediately repeated with any other card in the deck.
It is easy (genuinely) to perform!
Really, what more could a performer ask for? I have genuinely seen spectators mouths drop open in astonishment
when I have restored the card in front of them. I use this for strolling and street performances every time
(and I do mean everytime) I perform. As as said - this thing rocks!

Raymondo,
Could you please specify which T&R you are referring to in your post quoted above?
Thanks,
Bill
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 11:41, AdamChance wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 13:14, bsears wrote:
Ryan - I have come to that conclusion. Having practiced TORN for weeks now, I started doing it in the mirror and sadly found out just how terrible the angles are, especially on the last piece. I love the structure and "purist" feel of the routine, but I'll continue examining the other methods for use in my close-up sets.

I'm kind of in the same boat. been practicing it, but the angles and handling of the last piece are proving to be problematic. for the third piece, you can bring it out of your pocket ready to attach, so no "get ready" is needed for that piece and the angles are better.

so here's what I'm thinking for the 4th piece:

have only 1/4 of the back of the card signed by the spec. once the third piece is attached, fold the 3rd piece down, and then fold the piece on the right back over it, and then turn the pack over so they can still see their initials on the quarter of the card. so now you've got a folded up card, but they think there's only 3 quarters of the card. you can then pull down with your thumb to steal away the extra piece, and then go to your pocket to "get the 4th piece" you ditch the thing in your hand and come out empty (but pretending to hold the last piece) and then pretend to fuse it onto the card. this obviously isn't a visual restoration, but the angles are good, it's easy, and you finish 100% clean.

to make this better, you could actually pull out a 4th piece... hand the folded up card to the spectator... vanish the 4th piece in your hand... the spectator opens the card to find it totally restored. this is cool because they'll think they are holding 3/4 of their card and that the last piece attached magically in their hand. to make this look the best... the specs card should be forced... and then the magician can write the date or something like that on the face of that 4th quarter of the card. the spec then signs their signiture over the other part of the card. so then when you pull out the 4th quarter from your pocket, it can be the same card with the same date written on the face of that card. so you'll pull out the 4th piece, you show it both sides, show that the face has today's date written on it. then maybe vanish this piece with a TT... they open their hand to find that piece is attached and their card is restored.

hopefully that made sense. you'll probably have to get out some cards and follow along. but this might be a reasonable solution to the angle problems. and even though the 4th restoration isn't as visual... the angles are not an issue, the last piece is restored in the specs hand, and you finish clean... plus no funny handling moves that is required in the get ready for the 4th restoration.

has anyone done this handling before? anyone have any tips or suggestions?

ok... I thought of an even simpler way to do this. after the third piece is restored, say that to do the 4th piece, you have to fold the card up. fold the thrid flap down, and then fold the right section behind the left. Then turn it over, pull back with your thumb... hand the spectator the folded up card (they think it's only 3/4 restored)... tell them to hold it closed. you go to your pocket to get the 4th piece (where you ditch the other piece). then pretend you can't find the 4th piece. tell them to open the folded card... they find it totally restored with the 4th piece already attached. very simple, you end clean, no angle issues, etc. and when you hand them the card and tell them to hold it closed, they'll want to open it up and examine it... but figure that something fishy is going on which is why they're not allowed to look at it... so when you tell them that they can look at it an examine it, they should be pretty surprised to see the whole thing restored in their hand and that it's 100% examineable.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Some very interesting ideas here! I need to try some of these- particularly like the idea of having the spec hold the piece...
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
I've been singing 'Torns' praises and working on it, on and off for years. It's a fantastic T&R effect brought out by D.G, I agree the angles are quite problematic. Every time I think I've got it the mirror tells me otherwise. D.G makes it look like real magic. Must admit it is fun just to practise when walking,watching tv or on the bus.
I'm really interested in Rehab by Cameron Francis and think ill be picking this up very soon. Read some great posts about it. Greig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Torn - good for strolling? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL