The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tommy Wonder's Shrinking Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Merenkov
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I have the gimmick for Tommy's shrinking cards, have read the description in the Books of Wonder and watched the lecture video where he describes his technique. It's an astonishingly magical effect, but he doesn't describe (either in the book or the lecture) exactly how he gets into the effect. He apparently used this effect in his manipulation act years ago, but I'm wondering whether it was in the middle of an extended card routine, or if he just came out with it in his hands for his first trick. Does anyone have any insight as to how Tommy incorporated it exactly, or perhaps just ideas on how one gets into the effect?
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Produce the normal-sized fan by means of a body load as you produce a first fan. Do a split fan then get into the action of the diminishing cards.

Is there any source for buying it, by the way? Sold one I had years ago, wish I didn't.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22165 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hocus Pocus had the exclusive rights to sell The Tommy Wonder Diminishing Cards. Just checked their site, it is no longer listed.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Merenkov
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Fabio, I bought mine here from a listing in the "Tricks and Effects for Sale" forum a few months ago. Someone here had a listing for one within the past week, don't know if it ever sold. I saw Tommy perform this at a lecture about 15 years ago, and had forgotten just how powerful it was until I saw it again recently on the Wonderized lecture DVD.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22165 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Are we talking about his Diminishing Card Fans or his Shrinking Cards being put in miniture card box? Hocus Pocus only sold the Diminishing Cards. Never known of the shrinking card in card case ever being on the market. Some people told me, Tommy Wonder did sell some items at his lectures, what all they were, I don't know. I did email Tommy Wonder when he was alive and his book 1st came out, he never listed either of these products for sale.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
The diminishing fan, not the card case.

I do two different versions for the concept of the diminishing card case. One I bought at a magic flea market circa 12 years ago and the other I put together myself using in conjuction with an effect taught by Gregory Wilson on his Card Stunts DVD. I don't recall how did Tommy's one worked, though. Either one might be his creation.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Merenkov
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Yes, I should have put Shrinking Fan of Cards in my title to clarify, I forgot about that other effect. In his book, he called the diminishing fan effect The Snail's Progress. He used to sell the gimmick for it after his lectures (in the late nineties).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22165 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 10:26, Merenkov wrote:
Yes, I should have put Shrinking Fan of Cards in my title to clarify, I forgot about that other effect. In his book, he called the diminishing fan effect The Snail's Progress. He used to sell the gimmick for it after his lectures (in the late nineties).


Still not clear to what you mean. There is a Shrinking Cards and Card Box. Then there is the Diminishing Card Fan. The working is a 'shrinking' but the trick is actually a diminishing of a fan of cards. I realize diminishing and shrinking are kind of the same thing, but with these tricks, they mean completely different things and tricks.

Maybe if you reference the page number in the book or the DVD, we can understand you better.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
The Card Fan which progressively decreases in size. I believe that regardless of its name, Mr. Wonder only had one effect that looked like this.


Quote:
On 2011-05-27 11:04, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 10:26, Merenkov wrote:
Yes, I should have put Shrinking Fan of Cards in my title to clarify, I forgot about that other effect. In his book, he called the diminishing fan effect The Snail's Progress. He used to sell the gimmick for it after his lectures (in the late nineties).


Still not clear to what you mean. There is a Shrinking Cards and Card Box. Then there is the Diminishing Card Fan. The working is a 'shrinking' but the trick is actually a diminishing of a fan of cards. I realize diminishing and shrinking are kind of the same thing, but with these tricks, they mean completely different things and tricks.

Maybe if you reference the page number in the book or the DVD, we can understand you better.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22165 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 11:33, Fábio DeRose wrote:
The Card Fan which progressively decreases in size. I believe that regardless of its name, Mr. Wonder only had one effect that looked like this.


Quote:
On 2011-05-27 11:04, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 10:26, Merenkov wrote:
Yes, I should have put Shrinking Fan of Cards in my title to clarify, I forgot about that other effect. In his book, he called the diminishing fan effect The Snail's Progress. He used to sell the gimmick for it after his lectures (in the late nineties).


Still not clear to what you mean. There is a Shrinking Cards and Card Box. Then there is the Diminishing Card Fan. The working is a 'shrinking' but the trick is actually a diminishing of a fan of cards. I realize diminishing and shrinking are kind of the same thing, but with these tricks, they mean completely different things and tricks.

Maybe if you reference the page number in the book or the DVD, we can understand you better.



I believe I remember, Tommy Wonder had 2 diminishing card designs in the book. He also had a shrinking cards to card case as a close up trick.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
Hello! I was planning to use this in my act. Is it ok to make my own out from the description in the book? By ok, I'm takling about rights.

Thanks!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
The Snail's Progress is on page 154 in volume II. Like all of Tommy's stuff, this was well thought out.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
And when you make it yourself, a bit tough to get right the first time. He also made them for his hands, which were quite large.
Official Thread Killer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tommy Wonder's Shrinking Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL