The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Talent Showcase- Planning a routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Ok, so there's a pizza place in my city that has a "Talent Showcase" every monday. Normally it's just musicians but it's open to all entertainers. I want to do something in it badly but I'm stuck on ideas for a routine. First of all though, there are a few requirements for the act. It needs to be under five minutes so I can only do a few tricks. The setting is not really close up, it is just ment to entertain the people eating pizza at the tables around me. The basic idea of the competition is pretty simple. 10 people perform while being video-taped and judged by the judges. Next, the judges post the top 3 performances on Facebook and whichever gets the most "Likes" wins some sort of a prize.

I'm not sure what to perform. Whatever it is it has to be visible for the judges, the customers, and the camera. I was thinking about rope magic. The only good rope tricks that I know are the Endless Rope and the Cut and Restored rope. I'm pretty good with cards however I think that might not be suitable for the environment. Also, I'm happy with my One Coin routine and copper/silver(Copper and silver probably wont work). I could also do the cups and balls. Anyhow, I'm trying to kick off a better professional career in magic so I want to leave an impression on the judges. What do you guys think?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I'd say go for it. as for coins doing a misers dream or coins in glass routine would work as long as your using large dollar sized coins. A short chop cup or other type of one cup one ball routine would work better than a C&B routine in that short of amount of time. C&R rope would be a good choice. Linking rings would work as well.

But first and foremost make sure you have the act well rehearsed, Don't go on with anything you aren't 100 percent sure of.
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
93 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
If you can do a good cups and balls I'd open with a quick gag to get the audiences attention, like maybe a ten foot pole production or a vanishing bottle, then do cups and balls. Cups and Balls has so many elements it's an act unto itself but you do need that opening bit in order to change the tone and focus of the room.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I would just sit down with what you can do and pick the best part of the best bit and do that. A quick trick to get you applause and state you’re a magician is a good idea. Then follow with a quick cup and ball routine big finale load and done.

What I would do is a,
-quick trick appearing a drink,
-Jumbo size Invisible deck (This means you can use a volunteer but don’t have to get them up)
-Finsh with a rope trick Ring on rope or professors nightmare,

You could finish with splash bottle and give it to the person that helped you with the card trick or pretend to bribe the judges.
Hope this helps some how.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Ok heres the deal. Basically all my act is going to be is the professors nightmare. So in the performance I'm going to state that the short rope is named "Rope #1" the medium sized rope is "Rope #2" and the long rope is named "Phillip" and all the people have to do is keep their eye on Phillip. So I switch them around and it's obvious because they're different lengths. Then I make it more difficult by stretching them and basically that's it. I think I might go with yellow custard's idea of a quick trick and do a muscle pass or so. The show's tomorrow night, what does everybody think?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Talent Showcase- Planning a routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL