We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » PA System for Outside Parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I've been reading all the posts about PA systems here...very helpful! I'm about to purchase either a Pyle Pro PWA 1500 (per MagicMikey's suggestion) or the Anchor Liberty P10w. I want a battery-operated system that I can use in backyards and parks, for birthday parties. Cordless or corded mic is okay—I can work with either.

I'm a real novice when it comes to sound systems—I think I'm leaning toward the Pyle system. Am I making a mistake, or is this a good decision? I want to stay under $500.

Thanks for any help!

Ron Reid
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Ron,

I am not familiar with the Pyle Pro, but before making a decision check out the Sekaku PA767 sold by Dan Christopher at Florida Magic:

http://floridamagic.bizhosting.com/index.html

It may be just what you are looking for.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Jim:

Thanks for the link—I've seen other posts about the Florida Magic system, and it looks good too. I think with the optional battery, it still comes in under $500.

Do you have any experience with the Sekaku system?

Thanks
Ron Reid
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I use the Sekaku...I was fortunate enough to buy a used one in perfect working order...It is a real trooper. It does a surprisingly great job for outdoor performances if elevated...I love it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a Crate Limo amp that I bought from http://elderly.com/. The model # is TX50-D. It's not a normal stock item but I think they can special order it. Weighs 35#, 50 watt output and it recharges for up to eight hours of use. I love it!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks for the input, Alan and mdspark.

Ron
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Go on ebay...I have a portable PA system...I don't use it though because I upgraded to my wireless mic on my sound system for my gigs.

My portable one is DC and AC. DC 14.4V/2.5A 120v AC 60Hz 60W. It has eight channels to select from. It came with a car lighter battery thing lol. You just hook it up to your car lighter port. I bought it for $50
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks, everyone, for the help. After careful consideration, I think I'm going with the Sekaku system from Florida Magic. I've read a couple other posts about this system...it's gotten all positives! Plus, only five pounds!! Seems like a real winner.

Ron
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I just got and love the Fender AMPCAN, $164 plus tax. My two cents....

Jeff
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I use the Fender Passport 250. It is a back breaker to carry around but I've got to love the big sound. It is great for outdoor shows. I connect mine to my car battery using the optional DC converter.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Andy,

The Fender Passport 250 is sweeeeeet! Lots of little design features that make up for the weight. We sell a ton of them at White Magic.
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Check out the Carvin Stage Mate. It blows Fender out of the water! Carvin.com
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I use the Appollo PA 6000, it has a rechargable battery, 75 watt amp, wireless mic, and tape deck. I've started using my mini disc player with it too and it works just dandy. It's great for both in and outside.

oliver
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
I wondered about the Carvin Stagemate—$400 for 100 watt system that runs on batteries. I bought two 2000 watt Carvin system for the schools that I work for and they have been incredible. I use JBL Eons, but if I was going to look at battery powered amps—I would check out the Stagemate for sure. Do you have one?

-----------------------Cheers!------Jimeuax Smile
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
This is going to sound hokey but why couldn't someone just use one of the portable karaoke machines that the sell at Wal-Mart or Best Buy for around 100 bucks?

My daughter has one and it seems to work fine for what I do. It comes with a CD, dual tape, two mics.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2003-08-28 12:41, markis wrote:
This is going to sound hokey but why couldn't someone just use one of the portable karaoke machines that the sell at Wal-Mart or Best Buy for around 100 bucks?

My daughter has one and it seems to work fine for what I do. It comes with a CD, dual tape, two mics.

The popular karaoke machines tend to be underpowered. Besides, I like to have at least one low impedence mike input. I like to use a really good mike. For my purposes, a high impedence mike just wouldn't cut it—not enough gain before feedback.

The karaoke machines tend not to be rechargeable, which is a must for some outdoor venues.
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Jimeuax, I think the Carvin is the best kept secret out there.
100 watts
4 Low Z inputs
120VAC-12VDC-Battery powered
expandable

and it's cheap.
BTW it sounds great too.
magicandmore
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of magicandmore
Fender PassPort systems are decently ported and suitable for speech-intensive shows--but if you're gonna be working larger venues or playing lots of music, I'd step up to something else.

JBL Eons and Samson Expeditions are two excellent powered speaker lines--and the Samsons use pro-level XLR connections.

Whatever you do, don't invest in a VHF wireless mic. They operate on a shared frequency with some phones and can even pick up interference from microwaves in use at, say, a restaurant. Digital is kind of a joke, but UHF is the way to go.
D. Patrick Thomas - Magic & More
1-877-MAGIC-10 x5051
dpt@magic-more.com

www.magic-more.com
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
967 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
If you're interested, contact me and I can get you a good price on any of the Mipro portable battery powered systems. Included is a CD player with two headset mics. Guaranteed good price. Shipping would be extra.
JoJo
PM would be better than posting in the thread. Thanks!
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Say no to Eon's! Sorry I just don't like them. I would recamend the mackie powerd speakers over Eon's.

Ron Call me I think I know you, you PMd me but I am useing a "stage" name here. Don't tell anyone but this is really John Fitzsimmons from Phoenix, are little secret...shhhhh Call me 602-820-6202.

I just bought a Fender PD 250, it has the new speakers and they are great. There is a battery option, and I can get them at a great price from a company in Tempe.

Sounds good to me,
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » PA System for Outside Parties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.9 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL