The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Block parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1957 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I am interested in performing at block parties. Are they more lucerative than birthday parties? Does anyone have suggestions on how to find them? Has anyone had success in partnering with party rental places? If so, did you offer them a fee or a percentage? I tried to discuss these ideas with several rental places in my area and they had never done this with performers before.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
737 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Ummm... I see them as a nice bonus, but don't see enough of them to replace birthday parties.. They pay better in my experience but you don't book as many of them.

also the people around here that do these varies from local community groups to event planners..

I book it by the event.. (and I charge 50% more to be outside in the summer in Atlanta)
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1957 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I wonder how others address the fee for outside performances. I believe they are more hassle, but have not charged more yet.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Most mid to upper level neighborhoods in my area all have Home Owners Associations. In most cases these HOAs handle neighborhood events like pool parties, holiday events, Nat'l Night Out and block parties. In the more exclusive neighborhoods, they hire private managers or contract with real estate management agencies to handle these things. I found a list of my county HOAs through the county tax office. I send mailings to each of these HOAs for Spring events, Fall events, July 4th, Easter and Christmas.

Now, I refuse pool parties during June, July and August unless my show is inside of the pool clubhouse. I simply can't take the added heat of the sun beating down on the concrete and water. I also limit my appearance to a single 45 minute outdoor show and I bring my own tents for other neighborhood events during those months. I don't personally charge extra for these outdoor events because I know that I'm going to book at least 25% - 50% of the families with young children attending for future birthday parties, family reunions, PTA events and so on.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Generally a block party is more lucerative than a BB Party. I do several every year. I work with party planners and rental stores. I pay both of them a percentage.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yes you can get more money but you are usually outside.... and possibly surrounded.
At the very least you are probably just one of the activities for the day so you should expect people to wander in and out at the wrong times. Expect someone to hook-up speakers and run cords down their driveway and play music as loud as possible.

I take a large sound system, at least 300 feet of extension cord and 4 light stands.: I also have some kids run caution tape all around my area to keep people from standing on my sides (if possible). Wind prevents me from using curtains unless I use my van and trailer as a wind-break. Then the curtains can be secured to the vehicles but you have to wait till the event is over before driving your vehicle away.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Block parties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL