The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2011 entrée: Mark Lewis » » Best Friend In Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Mark,

It is no secret that you and I are best friends. I have spent more time with you in person over the last 16 years or so than any other magician. We have performed together, traveled together, attended conventions together.. Not unlike Charlie Miller and Dai Vernon.

My question has to do with our friendship. Many times over the years, I have received emails and private messages (on this forum and others) from people who are shocked that you and I are so friendly and have been for so long. I guess their puzzlement stems out of the fact that our personalities appear so different. I am always happy, friendly and energetic while you are....well, you are Mark Lewis. Smile I have answered all their questions but I think if you can share your thoughts on this, it would save me answering a lot of emails.

Although our online posts are very different, I think the secret to our friendship has been three main things.

a) We both tend to THINK the same about magic. We are of the old school and feel, as Al Baker observed, that "many a good trick has been killed by improvements." We both know that magic is secondary to the PERFORMANCE of it and that we are really presenting OURSELVES when on stage. This seems an important factor that a surprising number of magicians miss. There is no doubt we think the same about magic!

b) We are both very young at heart. We have gotten into our share of adventure and mischief over the years and have laughed about it like schoolboys afterwards.

c) We both have the same sense of humour. Often times I will say something funny and you will respond, "Paul. You must be psychic! I was going to say the same thing just now!" Yes, Mark, you and I do laugh a lot! Smile

So, basically, my question is this:

Besides the things I have just mentioned, do you have any more insight as to why you and I are such close friends in the world of magic? Like I said, if you answer this on an open forum, perhaps I will never have to answer a private message regarding this matter.

Thanks, Mark, for the last 16 years or so of laughs, adventure and talking magic! Smile

Welcome to the Café.

Happy Thoughts,
Paul Pacific
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I wish to assure everyone that although Paul is indeed a very close friend of mine we have nothing in common regarding devotion to feet. In fact the very sight of Paul's ghastly foot in his avatar has quite put me off my lunch.

It is indeed an interesting question and I shall answer it later.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Thanks Mark! Looking forward to it! Smile
Al Hastings
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh,PA
41 Posts

Profile of Al Hastings
Paul,

After reading Mark's book, you definately are a good friend!

..but At risk of making this sound non-platonic:

How did you meet Mark and what was your inital thoughts? (no pun intended!)

-A
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Oddly enough the entire story is recounted by Paul in the foreword to my Marmaduke the Wonder Mouse book. I shall see if I can find it. One moment please.

No. Alas I cannot find it. However, anyone that has my mouse book will see it there in all it's glory. If I had one of those scanner things I could reproduce it here but I haven't so I won't.
Al Hastings
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh,PA
41 Posts

Profile of Al Hastings
Ah...I got the mouse book. lemme check...

forewords are complimentary, except the "Mark noticed I had a magic logo on my t-shirt and became grumpier. I discovered later Mark is not a great fan of magicians. Nevertheless, over the years, I grew(?!) to know Mark very well..."

Sounds like there was some growing pains?! LOL

-A
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Since I have a lot of time on my hands right now I shall attempt to copy the relevant part of that foreword. It is a bit long so I may give up halfway through. Here it is:

"Several years ago, I attended a psychic fair in Toronto with a couple of friends of mine. It was a considerably large fair filled with booths of gifted psychics who promised to foretell the future and provide some insight into the lives of the needy and the curious. As I turned one corner, one booth had a bit of a crowd gathered around it. The banner which hung above read, "Mark Lewis-Famous Irish Psychic"
(he isn't Irish) and I remember thinking at the time that this guy MUST be good. Why else would he have such a crowd?

I approached the booth and saw this man demonstrating the Svengali deck. Indeed, it was to be my first meeting with the author of this book, Mark Lewis. After his Svengali pitch, an unusual thing for a psychic to be doing, he offered to do some Chinese Numerology for me. He asked me for my date of birth and I replied, "Saturday, September the 12th 1970!" He looked highly irritated and immediately snorted, "I was supposed to tell YOU that your were born on a Saturday! You've just ruined my experiment!" As I smiled, Mark noticed I had a magic logo on my T-shirt and became even grumpier. I discovered late that Mark is not a great fan of magicians.

Nevertheless, over the years, I grew to know Mark very well and I can honestly say that he is still as grumpy as the day I met him and he is STILL not a great fan of magicians!

Over the years since that fateful day, I realised that this fellow was no ordinary fortune teller and Svengali pitchman. Mark has a vast knowledge of magic and in addition to being a pitchman, hypnotist, psychic consultant and children's entertainer, he is probably the greatest impromptu close-up magician I have ever seen! In informal situations, nobody can compare to him! Our friendship has grown over the years and I have learned a lot from him, not only about magic and its history, but also about life in general"

Paul Pacific
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 11:58, PaulPacific wrote:
Mark,

It is no secret that you and I are best friends. I have spent more time with you in person over the last 16 years or so than any other magician. We have performed together, traveled together, attended conventions together.. Not unlike Charlie Miller and Dai Vernon.

My question has to do with our friendship. Many times over the years, I have received emails and private messages (on this forum and others) from people who are shocked that you and I are so friendly and have been for so long. I guess their puzzlement stems out of the fact that our personalities appear so different. I am always happy, friendly and energetic while you are....well, you are Mark Lewis. Smile I have answered all their questions but I think if you can share your thoughts on this, it would save me answering a lot of emails.

Although our online posts are very different, I think the secret to our friendship has been three main things.

a) We both tend to THINK the same about magic. We are of the old school and feel, as Al Baker observed, that "many a good trick has been killed by improvements." We both know that magic is secondary to the PERFORMANCE of it and that we are really presenting OURSELVES when on stage. This seems an important factor that a surprising number of magicians miss. There is no doubt we think the same about magic!

b) We are both very young at heart. We have gotten into our share of adventure and mischief over the years and have laughed about it like schoolboys afterwards.

c) We both have the same sense of humour. Often times I will say something funny and you will respond, "Paul. You must be psychic! I was going to say the same thing just now!" Yes, Mark, you and I do laugh a lot! Smile

So, basically, my question is this:

Besides the things I have just mentioned, do you have any more insight as to why you and I are such close friends in the world of magic? Like I said, if you answer this on an open forum, perhaps I will never have to answer a private message regarding this matter.

Thanks, Mark, for the last 16 years or so of laughs, adventure and talking magic! Smile

Welcome to the Café.

Happy Thoughts,
Paul Pacific

Mark, when you get a chance answer my original question please.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Oh, and I will say this:

Given that I am Mark Lewis' best friend in magic, as you can imagine it is NOT an easy job. (I'm a mentalist but we'll overlook that little detail.)

Mark and I get along royally. We always have. I have had countless dinners with him, one on one, for the last 16 years or so and we have talked magic inside out and backwards. I have heard all of his wit and wisdom in person. He has criticized me, praised me, made me laugh and made me cry. The stories in LIVES OF A SHOWMAN have been shared numerous times with me over the years (including some elements which did not see print).

But the perils of Mark's friendship have gotten me in trouble at times in the past. I too have recently been banned from a forum because of my mere association with Mark (I was part of the grocery bag!) ~Inside joke~ Smile

It's funny. Mark knows how incredibly sensitive I am. He has no trouble tearing me to shreds but he will NOT allow it from anybody else. His advice over the years have helped shape me into the mindreader I am today and for that I am grateful.

At any rate, as in any friendship there are ups and downs but I would not trade any of it for a moment. I consider myself very lucky to be Mark's best friend and I am richer and wiser in magic because of the relationship he and I have. We have always generally thought the same way about Magic and as I said earlier I believe it is an ingredient which helped cement the friendship over the years.

There have been times when I felt "overlooked" in Mark's shadow when in a group of magicians as everybody reacts around him. As you ALL have noticed Mark has a rather "polarizing" effect on people at times so quiet, nice, friendly Paul Pacific has to sometimes sit back and watch as the chaos ensues. It's all part of being Mark's pal, I suppose. Again, I would not trade it for the world.

Besides magic, Mark can be generous , giving and kind. I suppose you must learn to see beyond his biting comments at times.

Mark, in a close-up, impromptu situation is the BEST card magician you will ever see. I have genuinely believed that for the last 16 years and if you ever see him work, you will agree with me.

Mark and I have had tremendous fun over the years and I am quite sure we will continue to as years go by.

Garrett Spencer once asked Larry Grey about his relationship to Dai Vernon. Larry said, "I wouldn't take a million dollars not to have known him, but I'd give a million to never meet another like him!"

That's kinda how I feel about Mark Lewis.

Happy Thoughts,
Paul Pacific
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Paul. I just read that and it was obvious that it was from the heart and I thank you very much for it. I hope a certain cranky woman that we both know reads it too. She might start talking to me again if she does.

I take issue with only one thing you said. You said "the quiet,nice, friendly Paul Pacific" It is all true except for the word "quiet"

As for feigning innocence when "the chaos ensues" you neglected to mention that you have often encouraged the chaos to ensue in the first place by subtly saying something that you know will start me off and cause an argument while you quietly sink into the background and nobody is aware that you caused the trouble in the first place. In other words you load the gun and get me to fire it. Schadenfreude Pacific.

As to why we are friends the answer is very simple. You are a cheerful person and miserable people like don't want other miserable people round them since it makes them more miserable still. A constantly happy person brings light and sunshine to the darkest soul.

I do wish you wouldn't constantly talk about your bloody feet though.

And yes. As you said we think similarly about magic. A good magician doesn't present magic. He presents HIMSELF doing magic.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4634 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Get a room!

Oh wait, you have a thread. Carry on.

Ben
p.s.
Welcome back to the Green Monster!
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Ben.... It's a good thing you can't read MY thoughts right now!

:whatever:
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Ignore Ben. He is probably drunk as usual.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Mark are you coming to the meeting on Wednesday?
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
What meeting? I will probably be dead by then anyway.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Ring 17, Aldo Columbini.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Yes. I will go to that. Incidentally don't send any private messages to me here. I don't get them. And I can't put a signature on my posts either. Something to do with computer matters that are beyond my understanding. I did something with cookies ages ago so that I could look in here even if they banned me. But whatever the cookies or whatever the hell they call them did screwed up these other features. I am trying to uncookify it but these things are beyond the understanding of my aged brain.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4634 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 00:42, Mark Lewis wrote:
Ignore Ben. He is probably drunk as usual.

ONE TIME! AND IT WAS CHRISTMAS!

I'll be there on Wednesday Paul, and looking forward to seeing both of you. I'll bring the hooch.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
You are Jewish. You shouldn't be celebrating Christmas. Is there anyone here who is NOT from Toronto?
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Everybody here in Toronto is outside today! It is ten thousand degrees outside! Summer has finally arrived!

:sun:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2011 entrée: Mark Lewis » » Best Friend In Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL