The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Mods (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Just wanted to share what I did with my Scoundrel Street Shells, I found they were a bit light so I blackwashed them (mixed black paint with water) and let it seep into the cracks and dry. I then used a very fine grade of sand paper to lighten the top edges of all the ridges and it really seemed to give them some realism and depth. Next I gave them a polish then finished with a little matt spay to protect them. what do you think?

What are some of the things you guys have done to change/gimmick, basically modify your shells?

James.
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
I think they look GREAT James!

Did you find the process also made them grip better too or was it all about the cosmetics for you?

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Mostly cosmetics, but they do seem to have a bit of a better grip, I want to give the can of "SG"
you recommended on the boot camp dvd a try as a finish as well.

James.
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
James,

I don't think the street shells weigh enough to use the Super Grip on. I used that on a heavy set of pewter shells. I think you'll have better luck with the textured paint followed by your wash technique to get the look you want.

Glenn
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Yeah, I was thinking for my copper set, for some reason they get really slippery after after a while. I was looking at the textured paint, does it bulk out the shells a bit?
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
It doesn't bulk them out in any noticeable way to my eye James.

You might want to check out Krylon "Fussion" as an option too. It has a very good grip and it's made for plastic surfaces. I found it the last time I was in a Walmart. With any textured option, you can feel the cap to see what you're going to wind up with after using that paint. Anything you put over that will of course change things a little.

Glenn
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Thanks Glenn, I'll check it out.

I have an interesting idea about the textured paint, I wonder if you could use it to make shells that look like rocks or stones (develop a cave man routine)
I like the idea of not always having to use walnut shells, like bobs "beetle" version. I may have to order a couple more sets of street shells and start experimenting!

James
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
James,

There are several textured paints that will make whatever you spray look like rock or stone, so it would be easy to get the look you're after. Your challenge would be coming up with the routine. Fortunately S4S sells peas in 3 colors now. Maybe the white peas could act as a pebble.

I'd be interested to learn about your progress in this endeavor.

Glenn
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
Krylon makes fusion paint in colors now. I bought a can if the fusion paint in the brown boots color at Wal-Mart. It's the only place I could find it. It worked great. The shells are easier to grip and look nice. I love the wash James did. I'm not sure if that will work once the fusion paint is on. I used a few coats of the brown boots fusion paint. Takes 15 mins to dry between coats. It's quick and easy.

I need to do something about my copper shells... They are slick. Where can I grab that super grip?

Jimmy
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Jimmy,

First of all, You lucky stiff!!! I'm so jealous you found the fusion paint in the right color, my Wal-mart had the fusion paint in a much darker brown than the brown boots color. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it brown boots now. Thanks for the heads up that such an animal exists.

Here is a link to the Super grip. It looks like Ace Hardware carries it, so you might find it locally. Easy does it with the super grip. It doesn't take much. Just in case anyone is wondering, I think the Super grip has too much grip for plastic shells.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q......UQ8wIwAQ

Glenn
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
Glenn,

I got an extra can. If you want it I'll send it to ya. Just PM me your address.

Jimmy
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Jimmy,

Thanks very much for the offer, I really appreciate it. The problem is that the post office won't let you ship it. I checked with them when I wanted to ship a can of the Krylon brown boots to a buddy because he couldn't find it in his area. The problem is the can is obviously under pressure and the package could wind up on U. S. Postal plane in a compartment that isn't pressurized. I was told in no uncertain terms if the can blew up and they were able to figure out who sent it, I would get a visit from the authorities and it wouldn't be pretty.

I'll find it somewhere... thanks again for the kind offer.

Glenn
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
Glenn,

I understand. The funny thing is that one of the cans I bought off amazon.com. Someone is taking the risk to ship it there. If you can't find it you can check Amazon.

All the best,

Jimmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Mods (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL