The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2011 entrée: Mark Lewis » » The Magnetic Cards » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Mark you have often talked about what a wonderful trick the magnetic cards are and how there is no need to use any special gaff to make it work. Can you tell us a bit more about why you think it is such a great trick and what version(s)you think are the best?

All the best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
OH! I almost forgot, and if you have your own version is it in print anywhere?

Thanks,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
It's not that wonderful a trick! But I find it very useful for photographs. I also make my version (which takes a little time) when I get bored. The only other real use for it was when I performed in a circus. At the end all the acts had to walk round the circus ring as a finale doing something or other.The Juggler juggled, the fire eater ate fire, and the elephant didn't have to do anything but walk. All I could think of to do was this bloody stupid magnetic card thing. I would wave with one hand, smile at the audience and display the cards with the other. I am afraid it wasn't very effective and the stilt walker behind me got a hell of a lot more attention.

My version is the Edward Victor version written in one of his Magic of the Hands books. I can't remember which one. As is well known I never read books written after 1954. Except Harry Lorayne's of course.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Was just curious Mark what do you think of the version of Magnetic Cards done with the Dual control gimmick that Alan Alan popularized? I've only played around with the effect using Dual control.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I don't know neither do I care. You must remember that I am psychic and have been getting vibes about what you are saying about me elsewhere on this forum. You cannot have your cake and eat it, my boy. If you wish to be rude about me elsewhere then be my guest. But don't come asking for advice after you do so. You are now dismissed. Come back when you have improved yourself-there's a good chap.

If my young detractors wish to come on to this section trying to bait me by asking seemingly innocent questions knowing that their presence irritates me they should remember that I am as sharp as a razor and was dealing with nincompoops when they were breastfeeding. So far there have been two local Toronto nitwits. If they don't like me then they should stay in their own sections of the forum and keep away from me here. I would have thought that was common sense.

If people seek knowledge I have always been happy to give it to them. If they wish to bait me I have only two words to say to them and the second one is "off"
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Fair enough but it was an honest question.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Then ask someone else. I am sure you can find lots if introverted card magicians here with the personality of a dial tone to help you. Incidentally I knew Alan Alan quite well. If you think I am rude I can assure you that I am Mother Theresa in comparison to Alan.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I have too say I've heard stories and you maybe right. I only met him once and spent maybe ten hours hanging around him in Vegas at the Desert magic seminar. But I have heard that he could be a ^%$()$& I got along with him but that was just for a short time.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I once met an entertainer (not a magician) who knew Alan. He also commented on how rude the fellow was. I asked him why he thought Alan was so abrasive and the guy said, "I think it is because he got nowhere in showbusiness" And it was true. He didn't. He had to work for a comparitive pittance for Harry Stanley and Tommy Cooper. He used to tell people that he owned the little shop he worked in but he was actually working for Tommy. He would snarl at people, "Go and look in the window" to get them out of the shop and say things like "Have you come in for shelter?" to people who didn't look like they were going to spend any money.

The guy who worked at Davenports was a very good demonstrator called Jake. He told me that customers would come into Davenports in their droves saying that they had just visited the shop where Alan was which was only a 20 minute walk away and were so disgusted that they came to Davenports instead. Jake loved all the inadvertant referrals that Alan sent him.

Then one day Alan had a massive resurgence of his showbusiness career. For ten years or so he became a very well known and established circus act. It is a pity he had to wait so long for it. He made so much money from the circus that he opened up his own shop and ended up pretty wealthy despite scaring so many customers away with his awful rudeness.

He was especially rude to me and I am delighted now to have the opportunity to be equally rude about him. I will say, however, that he had a marvellous escape act and on stage he acted so nicely. It is a great pity he didn't transport that pleasant personality off stage.

Peter Snow, a wonderful street entertainer, once told me that Alan had a good heart underneath it all. Mind you Peter also said that I was as "charming as a rattlesnake". Naturally I have no idea why he would say such a thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2011 entrée: Mark Lewis » » The Magnetic Cards » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL