The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Blackout 2003!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
Queens, NY
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
After 16 hours without power, it's finally back on!

Let's hear some BLACKOUT 2003 stories . . .

I was supposed to see Radiohead in Montreal tonight. It looks like that is not going to happen (I'm still hopeful, though). This will be the SECOND time that my plans to see Radiohead fell through (the first being the now-infamous "Field Day", a.k.a. "Failed Day", in Long Island, NY).

How did the Blackout affect you?
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Actually, I was right in the middle of all the crisis, in Rochester (western), NY. I have no idea why, but my neighborhood did not lose power!!! Everybody else I know lost power until a few hours ago.

So for some reason, I was not affected. Smile Smile

Evan
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
I did some drinkin'
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Quote:
On 2003-08-15 08:49, zeroG wrote:
I did some drinkin'

Me too!

And then I had my own blackout right here in Texas.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Hahaha Smile , Wolfgang.

Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
26 hours without electricity. No streetlights, no gas for the car (gas pumps need electricity), no subway, no buses, no air condition (87-90 degrees), no cell phone service, most stores closed (no cash registers, no lights). No internet, no Magic Café!

Just another typical day in New York City.

landmark
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
I was doing a show in Downtown, and right as I was doing my tranverse-process illusion and when Sid, the lighting guy is to que the lights it went dark.....

I wonder Maybe I did it... ? Probably not!

Or Maybe it was David B.. doing another TV Show... Telling a spec to Close your eyes, think of their card, and when they opened their eyes... all of the city was now dark... Hmmmmm Could be..!!

Probably NOT !

bb Smile
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
Queens, NY
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
Well, at least we don't live in Michigan (my apologies go out to those that do)!
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I am really sorry, folks.

Seems there are still a few handling issues with my new effect "Light's Out". Smile
Jeff Hinchliffe
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, ON Canada
280 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hinchliffe
I had no power for 30 hours... I was working downtown at the time the power went out, and traffic was such a mess because I finished during Rush Hour. No subways, all traffic lights out, it was bumper to bumper everywhere. There was no way I was getting on a packed bus in the traffic, so I decided to walk home. 3 hours later, I arrived in Suburbia, tired, sweaty, and suprisingly, happy. With all the city lights out, you could actually see the stars. I have always been fascinated by Astronomy, and to actually see the sky the way it is meant to be seen is a rare occasion for anyone who lives in a major city (Toronto for me).

I sat in my backyard and enjoyed the quiet darkness...

Jeff
Pick a card, any card...
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2684 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I'm finally back up with power. You know it was a really bizzare experience, to see nothing but darkness everywhere. It was like something out of a sci-fi horror movie or something.

I also saw a guy getting arrested for B&E right across the street. Good thing I'm moving... Smile
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Profile of RoyHolidayMagic
20 hours......I was making something in the blender and the power went out right as I turned the blender off. I thought I did something wrong and screwed up my house's power....
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
B&E???? Could ya splain?
Jack Of Hearts!
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Quote:
On 2003-08-18 20:21, danielhunley wrote:
B&E???? Could ya splain?

I think that's breaking and entering. Not that I've ever been party to such behavior.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
It was the night before we were to fly to New Orleans!
I was so upset if we were going to lose our tickets and hotel $. It all worked out great. It came back on later... 5 bags of ice later.

Driving is fun with no traffic lights! Smile

Ellen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Blackout 2003!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL