The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2011 entrée: Mark Lewis » » Shouldn't he be the guest of "honour"? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Just sayin'.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Danny. I don't quite follow. Is there a hidden meaning there? Don't we have enough hidden meanings with the illustrious Jonathon Townsend here?
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
From the Merriam-Webster dictionary: Definition of HONOUR: chiefly British variant of honor, honorable, honorary.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Danny, is just being a bit of a Wank-O.

He has 11,551 posts and has yet to figure how to get his picture up.

You have 100 and figured it out and are guest of honor.

He may need to rub some lotion on his chapped bits.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Jim. Please don't fight with Danny here. Do it on the hypnosis section where they are constantly fighting anyway. If you start fighting here all hell will break loose and distract from me from educating the masses.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Incidentally I believe the lack of Danny's picture is deliberate policy on his part and I am sure he has very good reason for it.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Jim,

Your avatar looks a bit like an 80's album cover. Very dated but in a nice way. Mark's picture looks like a 1950's serial killer mugshot. Dated but not really in a good way.
What are you holding in your hand? Is it by any chance a napkin mouse? Mark's good friend Quentin Reynolds invented that trick.

Best,
James
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 18:54, Harv wrote:
From the Merriam-Webster dictionary: Definition of HONOUR: chiefly British variant of honor, honorable, honorary.

Yea. Jim you are suppposed to be so brilliant and read minds. Maybe if one of your dead friends was British they would have been able to figure it out.

Mark, I simply thought out of respect it should have had the "U", the way you spell many things such as coloUr. No hidden meanings. At least Harv got it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Harv is Canadian. No wonder he understood it. They all spell properly up here like normal human beings. As does every other English speaking country in the world.
One moment please.
I just realised that includes Australia. Forget what I said about normal human beings.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hope I wasn't included in "normal human beings". Otherwise I may have to get nasty.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Danny. Nobody would ever refer to you as a normal human being. You can relax.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok. Just so we got THAT straight! Incidently welcome here as yourself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6151 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 18:54, Harv wrote:

This is why the webster is a worthless rag. Honour is not a variant of honor. It is the opposite. Honor is a variant of honour. The Oxford is the authority, the websters is worthless.
A north american telling the english how to speak english is like a brazilian tell ing someone from portugal how to speak portuguese- aint gonna happen.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6151 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Their is no such thing as a british variant, it's their language we are speaking here. If anything is a variant, its what we have here in North America.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Quite right, Fish old chap. But don't set Danny off. I know what he is like.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is somewhat akin to saying that Castillian Spanish is a variant of Mexican Spanish.

Whatever we speak in America that we call "English", is not the original!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I'm American, my wife is English and her sister is a school teacher in the UK. My sister in law thinks it is wrong for American schools to call the subject "English." She thinks it should be "American English." That always cracks me up. There are so many variants of spanish all around the world yet we still call it "Spanish" in general.

Apples and oranges but they are both fruit.

I understood what Danny meant right off the bat BUT I'm still learning to understand my wife.

We created a dictionary of different words. Not spellings but that is just the tip of the ice burg. This is Northern Britain to Oklahoman. Many words differ depending on location of their home country.

Miscellaneous:

Knackered / Plumb tuckered
Nick / Lift
Lift / Elevator
Gob / Pie Hole
The Loo / The Can
Flat / Apartment
Queue / Line
Rubbish / Trash
Bin / Trash Can
Full Stop / Period
Bloke / Fellow
Spouse / Mate
Mate / Bud
Bird / Chick
Chicken / Sugar/Darlin’
Scaredy cat / Chicken
Crazy Golf / Putt Putt
Pub Crawl / Bar Hopping
Telephone Box/ Phone Booth
Telly / T.V.
Minted / In high cotton
Brilliant / Finer than a frog’s hair
Cinema / Movie Theater
Bobby / Cop
Waffle / Ramble
Long Sighted / Far Sighted
Garden / Yard
Nutter / Screw loose
Paraffin / Kerosene
Cherished / Colder than a witches teet
Gales / Strong Winds
Wind / Toot
Chuffed / Chipper than a jay bird
Post / Mail
Free Time / Down Time
Smart / Cool
Cheeky / Flippant
Gutted / Tore up
Stone / 14 pounds
Rock / Stone
Flannel / Wash Cloth

We have pages and pages but some aren't fit to print. This is from the section I could show our kids one day.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 19:41, James Munton wrote:
Jim,

What are you holding in your hand? Is it by any chance a napkin mouse? Mark's good friend Quentin Reynolds invented that trick.

Best,
James

James, It is a Martini.
Have found it helps when dealing with magicians.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Oh, of course. Now I see it! Now it definitely looks like an 80's album cover in a Bryan Ferry kind of way.

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
American English is definitely quite different to English English. Which is very different to Scots' English.
For instance, in the US you call "cutlery" "silverware".
And you call a "bottom" a "fanny", which is a very crude word over here, meaning something completely different.
And in Scotland, the verb "to live" becomes "to bide".
"To know" is "to ken".
"Chimney" is "lum".
There are also many variants in preferred language: though UK English is rapidly becoming Americanised thanks to the Simpsons and other American TV. Modern kids frequently refer to a "nappy" as a "diaper" over here.
There are countless examples. That's why I keep an Oxford Dictionary and a Webster's New Collegiate.
Potty Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2011 entrée: Mark Lewis » » Shouldn't he be the guest of "honour"? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL