The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Favorite Magic Shops (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
henri loik
View Profile
Regular user
Near Chicago, Illinois
136 Posts

Profile of henri loik
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 16:04, fonda57 wrote:
Midwest Magic, Franklin Park, Illinois. Lots of books, nice people there, and good lectures.

Used to like Al's Magic in Washington, D.C.

Another chicagoan! Do you ever go to PJs trick shop? I really like that store.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Keep away from this company, they don't exist, I wanted the vanishing radio they have on there site. http://www.kapmagic.com/index.php?searchstring=radio&x=0&y=0
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I'd have to say that my two favorite magic stores are Denny & Lees in Baltimore and Browsers Den in Toronto. Browsers Den has a nice selection and I find the staff really friendly. As far as Denny & Lees, I happened to be there during a lecture. Denny probably spent an hour with me. There were a couple of items I had on my list and he would sometimes steer me to another item that he said was better (and often, less expensive). Its shops like these that give you great service that make me realize won't you can't get from an internet shop.
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 13:49, Dennis wrote:
Martinka's Magic, Midland Park, NJ

I agree. Whenever I get a chance I like going there. The store has a lot of history in it.
themaurie
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of themaurie
Denny & Lee Las Vegas is my favorite out west.
MrSteve
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MrSteve
Williams Magic in Tucson is now closed, adding to the list of good bricks and mortar shops that are no more. My sense of those folks is that they were smart business people, so I suspect if they couldn't make a go of it anymore no one could.

However, they are keeping the online business going AND the mobile magic store. I saw the mobile shop when it was in Southern California about a year and a half ago. It's amazing how much magic they fit into that truck. Good prices too!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I was recently VERY impressed with Denny and Lee's when I had searched EVERYWHERE for two effects that I simply could not find. I had heard about D &L and when I went there, they had BOTH items in stock. I'll be shopping there from now on much more frequently.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
There aren't many bricks and motar shops In the uk but a good few online ones such as merchant of magic
JonBarr
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
73 Posts

Profile of JonBarr
Max's Magic Shop in Albuquerque, NM!
We are very lucky to have Max Krause in here in the Land of Enchantment.
Of course he is knowledgable and gives friendly, professional service.
Wide selection of effects, including his own original mind-destroyers.
His presence bodes well for the magic community in New Mexico!
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Merlins in Wakefield, Yorkshire, UK. Great bricks and mortar shop and Mark and Phil are always friendly and helpful.

Also, used to go to International in London, if Jerry Sadowitz was working there it was always an interesting visit!

Nick
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Magic inc.
In Chicago!!
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
US Toy Magic in KCMO, Top Hat Magic and SpotLite Magic in Tulsa OK. and my favorite "Magic Shop" I miss was is my good friend Bob Sanders' house when he lived in Fayetteville AR back in the early 80s! He was my "go to" guy and mentor for sure! All good memories.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
Big Guy's Magic in Peuwaukee, WI.

Twin Cities Magic in St. Paul, MN

Eagle Magic in Burnsville, MN
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
I've only been in this shop twice, but I give this shop a lot phone and internet business.

Magic Inc. in Chicago. It's the oldest brick and mortar magic shop in North America. It's been in business since 1926! (Although it was orginally called Ireland Magic Company) They are obviously doing something right!

Here's why I do a lot of business with them. Even though I don't have the privledge to physically be in the shop, everytime I call them, the person on the other end of the phone line always treats me like I am. Their customer service is top notch and everyone there is so knowledgeable and (get this) honest and very opinionated.

I absolutely love their unique publications. Check this out: http://www.magicinc.net/closeupfrenchstyle.aspx
(If you look at the bottom of the page you can see my two cents about this book, way back in 2011.) Close Up French Style by Bernard Bilis is a 52 page booklet sporting 9 unique and original card and coin items that you can't find anywhere else...Six dollars and ninety five cents...Think about it!

In my library I have about 70 or so of these Magic Inc. Publication manuscripts and trust me, they are worth their weight in gold! I personally think these manuscripts are THE best kept secert in magic and mentalism.

In addition to these manuscripts that they are practically giving away, they have great and unique books. Just like this one I'm going to pre-order in a couple of weeks: http://www.magicinc.net/thecompletealleech.aspx
Very excited it's finally here!

I'm going to end this opinionated rant here with a true story.

A little over a year ago I saved up about 400 dollars to get 1 extremely hard to find book: The Magic of Matt Scheullin. At this point, for the prior five years I tried to obtain a copy. The book was selling from anywhere between 200-350 dollars even back then. However, I told myself that year, "This will be the year I will get this book to study, come hell, rain, or highwater!" Of course, that's not the way life works. Despite the fact that I had the means at this point to outbid a bidder or make someone a 400 dollar offer, it still didn't change the fact that over a 9 month period I simply could not find a listing for it. It seemed hopeless and I gave up hope of ever finding a copy.

Ah, but then I had an epiphany, The Magic of Matt Schuellin is ,after all, a Magic Inc. publication; maybe there is a chance they will re-print it! I couldn't believe I hadn't thought about that before! So, I give them a call and Pedro answers the phone. (Great guy!) Here's a re-enactment of the conversatoin:

Pedro: Magic Incorparated, this is Pedro.
Me: Hi Pedro, this is David Martin here, I have a question for you regarding a book.
Pedro: Sure, how can I help?
Me: I've been looking for The Magic of Matt Schuellin for a number of years now without much luck. I know Magic Inc. is the publisher of it and I was wondering if you guys are considering re-printing it at some point in the future.
Pedro: Highly doubtful considering that there simply isn't enough interest in it. Most of the younger magicians now and days don't even know about the book or Schuellin's. So, I don't foresee us re-printing it anytime soon.
Me: I figured as much. Have you seen how much that book is going for now and days? Completely insane!
Pedro: Yeah, I've seen it go for around 200.
Me: I've seen it go higher.
Pedro: Want to hear a funny story?
Me: Sure.
Pedro: A few minutes before you called I was in the warehouse part of the store sorting some manuscripts and books. I found one copy of this book that was tucked behind the shelf...

(Yeah, my head was spinning.)

Me: You're kidding me?!?
Pedro: Nope, it's part of a run from the second time we printed it, back in 76'. Are you interested?
Me: Wow! Absolutely! How much?

(At this point, I didn't care how much. Finally, after all these years it was mine. I felt accomplished. What happened next almost made me faint.)

Pedro: How does 40 dollars sound to you?

(We just had a short conversation about how high this book is going for, he's charing me...40 dollars. I couldn't believe this was really happening.)

Me: It sounds to good to be true.
Pedro: Well, I see you placed an order with us yesterday kind of late in the day and your recent order hasn't shipped yet. Would you like me to add this book to your order?
Me: Please do!
Pedro: Sure thing, I'll charge your card.

This is one of many reasons why I love the shop.

David
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
David, I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Pedro at the 2014 combined convention and he is a real asset to Magic Inc. One of the nicest guys you'll want to meet if you ever get a chance.
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2014, JoshTmagic wrote:
Magic inc.
In Chicago!!

I second that!
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Anything in San Diego? I'm heading there soon for a vacation.

Ed
DallasFrank
View Profile
Regular user
Hey Rocky watch me pull a Rabbit outta my hat...oops wrong hat!
104 Posts

Profile of DallasFrank
Ever since my beloved Magicland closed in Dallas I have become quite a fan of Magic Etc in Fort Worth.
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
I heard reports that The Timid Rabbit Magic & Masquerade Shop in Kalamazoo Michigan closed. It is not true. We have been open since 1974 and have been at our present location since 1990. We did cut back our hours to Noon through 6:00 PM )Wednesday through Saturday). Stop by for a chat or demonstration.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Favorite Magic Shops (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL