We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » I'll Name Your Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

geraldk
View Profile
New user
California
41 Posts

Profile of geraldk
Bob Solari recently contacted me here at Magic City about an item we produce, called "I'll Name Your Card." According to Bob, it mirrors his own effect, "Name That Card," released back in 1994.

Bob was under the impression we were selling a knock-off of his trick and apparently conveyed this information to magic shops while making inquires. Bob is a creative guy and a fantastic magician, but Magic City first published "I'll Name Your Card" in 1973, many years before Bob's version hit the market.

In the late sixties, early seventies, Aldini and Nick Trost collaborated on an effect that later became, "I'll Name Your Card." Magic City printed the instructions and California Card Company manufactured the special deck. "I'll Name Your Card" has since become a staple in many magic shops around the world.

I'll Name Your Card is available from your favorite dealer, or you can read the effect here http://www.magicity.com/product_info.php?products_id=3953

There are other tricks on the market similar to "I'll Name Your Card" and "Name That Card," such as Trevor Duffy's take on Phil Goldstein's "The Phil Trick," if memory serves, released in the mid to late 90's.

I'm not sure when Goldstein first released his version or the exact lineage of the published record regarding this plot, but I wanted to clarify the situation between Bob's "Name That Card" and Magic City's "I'll Name Your Card."

Thank You!

- Gerald Kirchner
http://www.magicity.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ali Bongo invented the two deck method back in the late 1960's. He called it "Christened Reverse." Fred Lowe modified it and sold it to Ken Brooke as "A Card Named Fred." This is the one that Don Alan claimed to have had some input on. He claimed that he had converted A Card Named Fred to "Clyde." This was a total fabrication. I know exactly where Don got "Clyde." I was there when he got it.

There was a routine called "A Card Named Bill" in Magic Dungeon Mentalism, 1972, J.C. Wagner and Howard Adams.

This is one of those tricks that has many different versions.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » I'll Name Your Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL