The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Thumbs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
What are the tricks or gimmicks called where you pluck a flame out of nowhere onto your thumb?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
There are many versions, I believe Vernet's is called Thumb Flame. One thing, however, you don't pluck a flame from no where - you light your thumb from another lit source such as a match, candle, lighter, cigarette or something along those lines. Just for the record Smile

Kevin
bizarrewreck
View Profile
New user
Fort Collins, CO
51 Posts

Profile of bizarrewreck
I use a TT flame. A little uneasy about the angles, but in a darkened room, I've had no problems thus far.
Red_Wing_II
View Profile
Regular user
Enchanted Mitten
164 Posts

Profile of Red_Wing_II
I know of basically 2 kinds, 1 is a TT by vernet, and the other is a metal clip (can't remember Mfg). Both require another ingition source, but flash string works nicely.

But remember the TT is still plastic and WILL melt, but it can be used "closer" than the clip which is pretty much stage only.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You guys scare the @#$! out of me with some of this stuff! Don't any of you realize that flames catch things on fire? I'm referring to things like houses, skin, people, furniture, stuff like that.

Please, please, please, check your local fire ordinances before you try any of this stuff. The last thing we need is for magicians to have the same kind of sleazy reputation that night club owners and rock bands have for burning people up.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Yeah, every time you light a candle on stage or use a thumb gimmick to move the flame you should always make sure you have a fire engine next to you, with at least 10 trained firemen. You can't be too careful. The flame on these gimmicks can reach almost 1 inch high! Always contact the local fire ordinances before using such devices.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-02 07:13, philblackmore wrote:
Yeah, every time you light a candle on stage or use a thumb gimmick to move the flame you should always make sure you have a fire engine next to you, with at least 10 trained firemen. You can't be too careful. The flame on these gimmicks can reach almost 1 inch high! Always contact the local fire ordinances before using such devices.

You may make light of this all you want to, but in many cities, ANY use of an open flame is prohibited by law. If you get caught lighting a candle on stage, you can be fined a large chunk of change.

In some areas, where one club is "warring" against another, manangers take great pleasure in sending their henchmen in just to catch someone in the act.

And in some areas, the club can be closed down if the act breaks a fire law.

The thing that really bothers me about these posts is the idea that anyone would even consider wearing a flaming plastic TT. Even a metal TT isn't really very safe. But the idea of having something like a polyethylene reservoir full of a flammable substance perched on the end of one's thumb, with a flaming wick sticking out of it strikes me as somewhat short of insane.

If you have ever had hot wax dropped on your fingers, or worse, hot glue, you can imagine what melted plastic would do to you.

Also, consider the pain involved in skin grafts, not to mention the expense.

You may think that I am worrying excessively, but I know how easy it is to catch clothing on fire. It has happened to me before, and I wasn't even performing with a flaming object. I was working closeup at a Christmas party. My jacket caught fire because of a candle that was placed on a table near where I was working. One of the people attending the party noticed that it was burning and put it out before I became a cinder.

I also saw the damage that was done to one of the theatres at the Texas Renaissance Festival because of someone being just a little to careless with a flame.

So, pardon my rant, but I've had too many close calls to ignore these posts.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Thumbs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL