The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Keith Barry's Deception - Street Hypnosis On The Discovery Channel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10330 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Last night Keith Barry's long-awaited new series "Deception" premiered on Discovery Channel. Immediate reviews seem very poor with comments ranging from mean spirited attemptes at street hypnosis, to fake, stooged and staged.

I've met and really like Keith and had high hopes for this show here in the U.S. and Keith's hopeful return to Las Vegas, but as I've said many times before, there just doesn't seem to be an appeal of this street ambush-type of style here in the U.S. It was very edited and produced for what "hypnosis" there was and it just didn't play well or effective. I didn't buy it as hypnosis as from the reviews neither did most viewers.

I know Keith is very talented, I know he attempted to move into stage hypnosis with some initial difficulty a couple of years ago, then tried combining it with his mentalism, but now this attempt at street hypnosis is taking him even farther off the mark.

I know mentalism great Bob Cassidy and Dan Harlan worked with him on this series so between the two of them I had high expectations, making this even more disapointing.

As often stated here, I believe this is doing nothing for the understanding advancement and acceptance of performance or stage hypnosis and is a poor representation of the entertainment art that has been blowing away audiences for generations. Very disappointing.

Anyone else see this and care to offer their honest feedback? I would think this is right up the alley of many newer members here.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20852 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I know my wife hated it. Begged me to turn it off.

I will say one thing, and it is sort of not a compliment. I think this is going to go the same way for hypnosis that Criss Angel and his dopey episode did. People ended up comming up to me after the show and had such LOW expectations for it, when they saw it for real, (or whatever we will call it.) it was so much better than they thought. This has that feel to it for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
I think that you hit the nail right on the head. He violated several of the common rules that I've learned (ambush hypnosis, hypnosis without consent, etc.) about while watching The Trilby Connection. The safe demonstration was kind of neat, but to be working with them on deepening for half an hour seemed like too much to me. I have never liked the idea of ambush hypnosis because what if the person made you do something like poison someone else (as he made someone do in the video) or potentially harm yourselves? Note: That part was done with the victim being played by an actor, so nobody got hurt; however, the subject was practically crying when he watched himself repeat the actions in his dreams.

Just my two cents,
Mahucharn
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
I enjoyed the first two episodes. I heard co-workers discussing the episodes at work today in one of the break rooms I usually don't visit (large building) and the ideas they were coming up with were great. "He was whispering...you do not want money, you do not want money, you do not want money." was one of my favorites. I also enjoyed "Remote control car. Had to be."

Something to keep in mind is we aren't the target audience. Mention Trilby to the commmon man and he'll think your talking about a Star Wars/Furby hybrid.

The only complaint I have is the shaking camera during the first segment of episode one.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
I only saw a segment (possibly trailer) somewhere on the net where he appeared to hypnotize a random passer by. After stopping him to ask for directions he ended up thrusting him down onto the pavement (or sidewalk for you guys on the other side of the atlantic) and left him with a cardboard sign saying something like "Spare change" and the guy ended up asking other passers by for change when he "came to".
I thought it gave an appalling image of hypnosis as being "mind control" - pretty much the "myth" (?) that every entertainment hypnotist tries to dispell before hypnotising people. Not helpful, but no skin off my nose. I´d love to see the rest of the show because I´m convinced that what I saw had to be the low point (I hope).
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I already made comments in the Penny forum. First of all - this has all been done before and much better by Derren Brown in his earlier shows. Back then it was at least original and fresh and even innovatve. Derren has really influenced the current fad of street hypnosis. Although I like Kieth's work it looks like he is the most famous Derren wannabee. Right from his appearance on the TED lectures on mind magic where he was making his transition from magic to mentalism he blatantly used Derrens material.

On this example specifically I hated it for the following reason. He "appeared" to approach a random member of the public not only ambush them but physically assault them. He quite agressively dropped the person to the ground onto a very hard and very dirty pavement. Then what followed was totally pointless. What on earth was that for? Here is the problem - I can see young newbie street hypnotists trying something like this after watching a few Dvds. Potentially this could create a lot more damage to hypnosis by influencing impressionable young magicians to copy it. Potentially someone could be injured.

I hated the clip and see the show as a poor mans Derren Brown copy and about five years at least behind what Derren Brown created. I just skimmed through other clips. An iconic scene in Derren's early series was in a second hand car dealers for example. For me at least I've seen enough of the series and won't watch anymore.

I hear a lot about not copying over in the Penny Forum and "art". All I see here is a weak copy of Derren no art what so ever. Im surprised people like Bob who in my opinion is one of the greats in mentalism worked on this.

Is there any mentalist out there that don't want to be Derren?

Actually Philip Escofey ( forgive me I have spelled his name wrong) made a decent attempt recently in his "impossible" show and was a breath of fresh air.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
"Is there any mentalist out there that don't want to be Derren?" Yes,that would be me for one and I am sure there are others as well.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5718 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 05:59, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
"Is there any mentalist out there that don't want to be Derren?" Yes,that would be me for one and I am sure there are others as well.

I'd really rather be me.

Although Derren's work is good, I must say...

Plus I hate taxidermy.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The thing is I really like Keith's presentation style I think he is a great presenter. But who knows perhaps this will be a huge success for him. Only our views.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20852 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 04:17, Owen Mc Ginty wrote:
I´d love to see the rest of the show because I´m convinced that what I saw had to be the low point (I hope).

If only.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I saw the pilot (which was fairly enjoyable) but haven't seen the episode being discussed other than the clips mentioned.

I get the feeling Keith Barry has broader appeal than Derren Brown, particularly internationally and with an older age group, so this probably will be a successful show for him.

I usually like his presentation style too, but I did cringe when I saw the clips of the supposed "black ops hypnosis."

The problem with this kind of stuff is no matter how much work went on "behind the scenes" it ends up looking very irresponsible, at least to those of us who should know better.

However, I also think it's so far removed from what most people know hypnosis to be, the majority of his viewing demographic will just dismiss it as trickery or "fake." Fortunately.

One thing I did enjoy about the pilot is the psychology "experts" giving their opinions on what was happening. Did they continue that theme, I wonder?
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
958 Posts

Profile of A.G.
There are 4 1 hours in this series, each its own separate entity:

Neither Dan Harlan or Bob Cassidy were present for this episode, so please don't express any negativity towards them.

This episode was devised and written by Keith and Myself, so please blame us if you need to.

" Black Ops " Hypnosis really has nothing to do with consent, in fact its quite the opposite. ..the entire concept was that the CIA intended to use Hypnosis as a weapon.

So asking for consent would not be an option.

The question of " is it possible for an average citizen to become prey to this ?" I think was effectively answered during the show.

All the participants were 100% real there were no paid "actors"
In LA, where the shows were filmed, almost everyone is a struggling actor...LOL

Everyone that participated was very happy to be in the show, and found their experience with Keith amazing and enjoyable... they all felt they learned something about themselves, if they weren't they would not have signed the release forms to use their image on TV.

I don't disregard anyones opinion here, you are all free to have and express yours, but the home viewer/ratings tell the reality of if the show is " good" or "Bad"
The ratings were the highest for that time slot.

Andrew Gerard

Creative Producer
Deception with Keith Barry
-Discovery Channel-
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1784 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I do not believe that when he was considering the contract for a 5 part series he was really thinking about what folks on this board or any other board was going to think, nor should he.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20852 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't mnanage to find any reference to highest ratings in the time slot. I keep getting Pawn Stars and wrestling.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 12:43, A.G. wrote:
There are 4 1 hours in this series, each its own separate entity:

Neither Dan Harlan or Bob Cassidy were present for this episode, so please don't express any negativity towards them.

This episode was devised and written by Keith and Myself, so please blame us if you need to.

" Black Ops " Hypnosis really has nothing to do with consent, in fact its quite the opposite. ..the entire concept was that the CIA intended to use Hypnosis as a weapon.

So asking for consent would not be an option.

The question of " is it possible for an average citizen to become prey to this ?" I think was effectively answered during the show.

All the participants were 100% real there were no paid "actors"
In LA, where the shows were filmed, almost everyone is a struggling actor...LOL

Everyone that participated was very happy to be in the show, and found their experience with Keith amazing and enjoyable... they all felt they learned something about themselves, if they weren't they would not have signed the release forms to use their image on TV.

I don't disregard anyones opinion here, you are all free to have and express yours, but the home viewer/ratings tell the reality of if the show is " good" or "Bad"
The ratings were the highest for that time slot.

Andrew Gerard

Creative Producer
Deception with Keith Barry
-Discovery Channel-

Andrew, if it's worth anything...

I have only seen bits and pieces, and I love what you guys are doing...you have achieved objective one already:

People are talking...Magicians too!

Good work and keep it up!

ORAL>
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Andrew,

I also saw the show and enjoy the show, for the show. Keep it up. Thanks
mrkmarik
View Profile
Regular user
New York
185 Posts

Profile of mrkmarik
Here in USA lay people never heard of DB and place still available Smile
Gerard if the ratings were the highest for that time slot I congratulate you!
Keith is good:) and the show is entertaining:)
Personally I did enjoy but always kept thinking of DB .
Wish you good luck!

Marc.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10330 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
All of a sudden this has turned into the "Did You Hear The Latest" forum. We were originally addressing the topic of the hypnosis performed in the show as it related to this forum, just to keep it on track.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>>>Everyone that participated was very happy to be in the show, and found their experience with Keith amazing and enjoyable... they all felt they learned something about themselves, if they weren't they would not have signed the release forms to use their image on TV.

The ratings were the highest for that time slot.<<<

I don't think for a second anyone would be less than happy to take part in the show. They are volunteers after all. Or are you saying they were approached in the street just as we saw randomly thrown to the ground and left begging? All within a minuute or so? We both know that can't be achieved with hypnosis. So from that point of view it was fake. Yes its possible and very easy to hypnotise someone then get them to beg on the streets with the proper pre-selection and work needed. But that's not the point either.

The point IS some will think that's what you did. Some believe that you can do this with hypnosis. And some may try to replicate it. What we saw on TV was a carefully crafted show.

Whats being discussed here is not what you have done but what you have potrayed. I am not nieve enough to think any of us will have any influence over your decisions. The show will either be successful or it won't.

But slamming someone on to the dirty ground is normally unprofessional disrespectful and involves big risks. To walk up to somenone randomly on the street and attempt that would be assualt. It gives out the wrong signals. ( at least a few of us on here believe that to be the case)Unless of course in the US the average citizen falls prey to this on a regular basis?

And using the proven Derren Brown formula "feel" is a smart move especially if he hasn't made it yet in the US. Its a lot safer than doing something completely new...Had I been in your shoes I probably would've done the same. At the end of the day its about viewing figures and making money I get that..

I hope the series is a huge success for you. It must be fantastic to have the opportunity work on a project like this. I envy you and admire the team involved.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
It's entertainment. I don't think it's sold as or meant to be anything else. On that level it's not my cup of tea but neither good nor bad in any other way than at an artistic level. Nothing siad here couldn't be said about magic which also should be first and foremost entertaining. Not for everyone no, but for the one who find it so.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Keith Barry's Deception - Street Hypnosis On The Discovery Channel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL