The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kung Fu Grasshopper PDF (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
boswellmagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of boswellmagic
I finished my first publication called Kung Fu Grasshopper.
This pdf is a revamp of the Paul Harris effect "Grasshopper". It includes simple, clear and visual methods that are described in an easy to learn manner. And methods that vary from beginner to expert in cards.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
You really want 10 bucks for this? Oh boy...
boswellmagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of boswellmagic
Yes I do. It is worth every penny of it. It goes over 6 handlings's from easy to difficult. With two different effects. The jump between the pair of kings plus a kick back. It took 6 Months to write the book due to continued perfection of handling and presentation.

It looks just as visual as gimmicked versions like Eric Jones Twizted and for a fraction of the cost of a gimmick. You know what they say. You can give a man a fish he has food for a day. Teach a man to fish and has food for the rest of his life. This pdf is a way of teaching you the amazing effect with pure sleight of hand.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
It doesn't look anywhere near as good as Twizted. But dream on.
boswellmagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of boswellmagic
Ok... The spectators won't know the difference, and its as close as you can get visually without a gimmick.

Uli, I will send you a PM of a free copy. I would like you to evaluate it and tell me how much you think the pdf is worth?
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BrandonWilliams
Not sure if you are aware, but Jack Parker had a version called " I know kung fu" on his book.
boswellmagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of boswellmagic
Thank you Brandon. I was not aware of that. I saw a video online and it is very close to mine.

His seems like a lot of moves to get in the same position as mine. Both are very good.

Shows that a lot of ideas have already been done before. Smile
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Boswellmagic,
I am being honest with you here when I say that your trick is really not worth $10. I am not trying to be mean so do not get defensive, but listen to what I have to say. Based on your video, if that is the "best" handling you have to offer, then you will have a very hard time selling this to magicians. You do not end clean, nor offer a clean up in the performance video. I am sure you can perform a one-handed turnover of the bottom card to clean it up, but that has been done MANY times. If all you have done was use the gimmicked version as the basis to come up with a pure version, then you have a lot of research to perform.

What was the inspiration for your version?

Thanks,
Trini
Trini Montes
boswellmagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of boswellmagic
Trini,
Thanks for the feedback, no offense it taken.
You are right the video does not show the clean up which is a one handed turnover. I do have another version that was the first idea I had. (You can watch it here: Advanced Kung Fu) This one ends clean but in essence you are doing the turnover... just at a different time.

My inspiration was more of a challenge to myself. I understand that when performing the more clear effect is better. And for that the gimmicked version will always be better. None the less, if you don't have gimmick on you then you got to do something... Smile

And here is the kickback... Kickback
I like it more than the grasshopper itself.

Thank you for the post Trini,
Edward Boswell
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Child, it would serve you well to vet any intended publications in the future. A reputation for derivative work and sloppy crediting is not something you want to have to fight for the rest of your career.
boswellmagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of boswellmagic
Thanks John for your opinion. I will definitely try to research more. I did some before I produced it. But there is only so many books I own compared to how many are in magic. I wish I could have them all... don't we all Smile
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Thanks for sending me the PDF. I have written a short and also pretty harsh sounding review but I have finally decided, not to post it. However, the result is: if you're serious about your magic, do yourself and potential buyers a favour and pull this PDF off the market.

Even if Paul Harris' original handling may not be the most elegant imaginable, it has two important aspects in its favour: clarity and conviction. Not to speak of truly superiour versions like David Regal's great "Leap of Faith" which really took Grasshopper to a new level. As of now, your Kung Fu Grasshopper shows none of these qualities.
boswellmagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of boswellmagic
Uli,
Thank you for the honest review.
I will still keep it for sale for two reasons.

1. Laymen love it and it fools the hell out of them. Its a great in the hands version of it, which is lacking in most grasshopper routines.
2. An idea, is an idea no matter how good or bad it is. To take it off will kill an idea. Along with other ideas that come after it. But after consideration, 10 dollars is a lot for it. So I will drop the price of it.

Remember, there is no such thing as a perfect effect. Each one has their flaws, as does mine.
Thanks everyone for all the input,
Edward Boswell

P.S. I have used Paul Harris' and David Regal Versions for about 5 years off and on. But neither one got good reactions. They both lack the importance and interaction with the spectators.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Well, I for one will be buying this simply because it endorsed by that titan of magic, Nate Hickey.

Please, make it stop...
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey there

I have to be honest from the demo it looks to me like there is nothing original, nothing new and you have taken a HUGE step backwards. Marketing this for any amount of money is an absolute joke. If you really think any idea is a good thing then send it to Joshua Jay and have him decide if it is worth publishing and if so he can put it in Magic Magazine for free. I can promise you more people will see your idea in this way than what you are doing.

If however you still wish to Market this please send me the PDF to look at. I'll check it out and come back with a full review. Although I promise you I will pull no punches, but if your material is as good as you claim and you stand by it this shouldn't be an issue.

So, what do you say?

Craig
boswellmagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of boswellmagic
Hi Craig,
You are right, I should submit it so Joshua Jay. I will still send it to you. And your right about originality, I did not know about the Jack Parker version which it is very similar to.
Thanks,
Edward Boswell
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Oh, one more thing young man...

"And methods that vary from beginner to expert in cards."

Am I to infer from this statement that you consider yourself to be a card expert?

If so, you truly need to do some serious thinking about your abilities (if this offering and your Cheaters Monte are the ultimate display of those abilities).
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
The real problem here is, that Edward is a typical example of a new generation of magic publishers, who are well versed in handling desktop publishing software, Internet tools, webcams and all the glitzy new media stuff, but lacking a solid foundaton in magical knowledge. Their marketing skills may be up to snuff, but too many have serious limitations when it comes to performing magic, creating well constructed effects or even telling the difference between a good magic trick and a bad one. The various handlings of Kung Fu Grasshopper are ALL unconvincing, illogical, suspicious, confusing and convoluted. It's a mess really and it shouldn't be published at all at this point of time, let alone sold. Unfortunately, the PDF is also not very well written: verbose, unnecessarily repetitive throughout, partly confusing descriptions. You could easily shorten the PDF down to 10 pages or less.

And Edward, if you don't get good reactions from Regal's Leap of Faith, you must be doing something wrong.
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
747 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 14:23, boswellmagic wrote:
Hi Craig,
You are right, I should submit it so Joshua Jay. I will still send it to you. And your right about originality, I did not know about the Jack Parker version which it is very similar to.
Thanks,
Edward Boswell

Craig will be honest with you without being cruel I'm sure and this will only make you a better magician, Craig has helped me out many times via PM which I much appreciated.
carl.
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Boswell,
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a few Grasshopper effects for your historical research and crediting. I will explain more when I send them.

Thanks,
Trini
Trini Montes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kung Fu Grasshopper PDF (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL