We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Derren Brown, Absolute Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chappy
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of chappy
Derrn Browns Pure Effect was one of the most thought provoking reads I have enjoyed in a long time. Can anyone tell me about his newer book, Absolute Magic? Reviews and rundowns welcome.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
I am expecting my copy any day now. I will post my thoughts when I have finished it. It seems like, from the description, that it's similar to "Strong Magic" by D. Ortiz. This is one I am looking forward to.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
chriscox
View Profile
Regular user
London
174 Posts

Profile of chriscox
Quick review:

A very informative, interesting and inspiring book. It really makes you think about your role as a performer.

Beautifuly written, funny, and thought provoking. A great bit of information on Pickpocketing also.

No tricks, but this is worth more to me than 100 great tricks.
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Well I enjoyed this more than Pure Effect, so if YOU like Pure Effect, which you state you did, then you should love this.
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
HOw does this compare to Strong Magic?
Who is John Galt?
playzure
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of playzure
I have not read this book but my friend says that he was disappointed because it does not have any actual tricks.
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Quote:
On 2003-12-30 21:47, playzure wrote:
I have not read this book but my friend says that he was disappointed because it does not have any actual tricks.

That's because it's not a book of "tricks". It focuses on Derren's own model of how magic should be performed.
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
I have Pure Effect and I enjoyed that tremendously although I don't actually use any of the tricks written up in there.

It would be nice to know how Absolute Magic compares to Strong Magic though. Has anyone who has read them both like to make a comparison?
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Perhaps Absolute is better from the standpoint that the writer actually employs the ideas and theories he pens onto paper.
Jason
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I would agree that Absolute Magic is better than Pure Effect - there are tons of books full of good tricks, but very few that discuss the subject matter covered herein.

Not only is the material thought-provoking, but it is also written in Derren's unique and humorous style.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1632 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Absolute magic is a very interesting book.Although Derren seems to have raised the bar in magic so high that even he does'nt qualify!.He states that he only does his own material these days.Not quite true.One piece he does is the wonderful PK touch's by Banachek.
It is a book worth reading.Some of the humour will not translate very well for American readers though.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
It is a totally underrated book. Every magician should reflect on his thoughts and suggested frame work for what we do.

...assuming they want to perform magic that makes a real impact.

/Matias
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:

That's not a friend.

Quote:
On 2003-12-31 14:10, Jason Wethington wrote:
Perhaps Absolute is better from the standpoint that the writer actually employs the ideas and theories he pens onto paper.
Jason

That would make the performer better, not the book, no?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
Mark, did you mean to say that Absolute Magic is better than Strong Magic or are you actually just comparing absolute Magic with Derren's previous book, Pure Effect?
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1632 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Strong magic is more useful!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
Markymark, could you elaborate on that?
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1632 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Sure...'Strong Magic' is a nuts and bolts approach that
everyone would find something in it that they could use.'Absolute Magic' is about how Derren changed and evolved.He comes at most things [not all] from a mentalist view.Not so much coins or cards or lil red balls!.Best of all is most books from Eugene Burger.
Just my 2 Euro cents...
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Quote:
Markymark wrote:
Sure...'Strong Magic' is a nuts and bolts approach
Agree.
Quote:
'Absolute Magic' is about how Derren changed and evolved. He comes at most things [not all] from a mentalist view.
Don't quite agree. The point of view is that of someone trying to make magic stronger by developing and adhering to a theoretical/philosophical frame. It is more "the big picture" than Ortiz book.
As I interpret it.
Quote:
Best of all is most books from Eugene Burger.
Possibly true.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Great read. Clarifies the importance of believability in presentations,and much much more.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
"The point of view is that of someone trying to make magic stronger by developing and adhering to a theoretical/philosophical frame."

.....and just that is pretty much what much of this is all about, isn't it?!

Sven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Derren Brown, Absolute Magic (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL