The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a good starter set of cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
[quote]On 2011-06-06 14:09, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

Are these cups actually that color? They look pink. I wouldn't use foam balls, simply because of the weight.

As far as Lance Burton's coffee cup routine, he didn't do that "because he can." He did that simply to be different. This is okay, actually. But I don't really recommend being a cups and balls snob or elitist until you have something to be an elitist about.

I have nothing to be elitist about. Smile I took this with my phone cam in room light. They're actually a bright red.

What kind of balls would you recommend? These are so cheap, I could throw them away in a second and not blink.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have a username and password to the museum. You figure it out. Try reading some of the posts in this section that discuss the differences in balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Thanks, Bill.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
So Neuromancer, what set of cups did you decide on?

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
I am going to try and contruct a set of leather cups. I am working up a renaissance theme show and the cups and balls were being performed in the period. I also do leatherwork so it should not be too difficult.

-Max
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Leather cups would actually not be authentic. The correct cups are shown in Hocus Pocus, Jr.. They are brass or tin plate.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Sorry to say I'm disappointed in the Bazar de Magia's brass cups and balls I just ordered from Penguin my perception is that the bead is so high up there is not enough straight section above the bead for them to nest cleanly. They can tip back and forth from vertical when stacked. The design has changed slightly from the combo cup I bought (admittedly several years ago).
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
Bill you are correct that is what is printed in Hocus Pocus. However at most SCA type events the leather jack and mugs are a very common sight. I thought it might be nice to use a cup that sort of blends in even though it is not technically period coorect according to Hocus Pocus Jr.

I have done a lot of research on drinking vessels in England, and for a very long time leather was the prefered material for drinking vessels and vessels for carrying liquids. This is only true for England, in England they produced very little clay pottery. The potters made pots from metal and also made bells. I need to go back and read more about Hocus Pocus, Jr and what country and time period it was written in.

-Max
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Very little of what I see at modern Ren Faires is really "authentic" anyway. But my experience with faires isn't nearly as extensive as Bill's.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1296 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Contact Donnie at RNT2 ...he has a really nice set of Aluminum cups that are perfect for a beginner and priced for one too.
I do not know if they are on his site yet....I don't go to the site often enough.
Mobius
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Thanks Mobius,
I just dropped the price on the Foxy 2.5 cups in Satin Aluminum to $99 - I have quite A LOT of these in stock and even though this price whacks the profit margin down to almost nothing, I think it's better that the cups find a home as a starter set for some young magician. Really, a student of the cups and balls should practice with a set of cups that will make it so much easier to learn ALL the moves that are out there.
Balls included.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2011-06-20 12:23, Donnie Buckley wrote:
Thanks Mobius,
I just dropped the price on the Foxy 2.5 cups in Satin Aluminum to $99 - I have quite A LOT of these in stock and even though this price whacks the profit margin down to almost nothing, I think it's better that the cups find a home as a starter set for some young magician. Really, a student of the cups and balls should practice with a set of cups that will make it so much easier to learn ALL the moves that are out there.
Balls included.
Now THAT... folks is a great gesture and incentive for all you beginners that are shopping around for a good quality set of cups to sink your teeth in...kudos to you Donnie!! Smile

Cupsamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is an excellent price. While the aluminum cups are not as heavy as the copper ones, they are certainly useful. I just recently acquired what is purported to be a prototype of these cups in aluminum. I'll have to check with Jake on this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
Thanks for the replies, I went with the penguin ones, that are able to load a tennis ball (which I thought to be nice).
@Donnie, unfortunately your offer came to late to my attention. Maybe in the near future. Do you guys ship to Germany? How much would that be? Also, does your mentioned aluminium set load a tennis ball?
cya

Neuromancer
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 12:22, Neuromancer wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I went with the penguin ones, that are able to load a tennis ball (which I thought to be nice).
@Donnie, unfortunately your offer came to late to my attention. Maybe in the near future. Do you guys ship to Germany? How much would that be? Also, does your mentioned aluminium set load a tennis ball?
According to this, they DO load a Tennis Ball: http://www.rnt2.com/index.php?dispatch=p......id=29794

As for shipping to Germany I believe this might be what you're looking for:: http://www.rnt2.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=32

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
Those look great! How long will the sale last? I really need a decent set of cups.

-Max
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Hi Guys,
Yes we ship all over the world and can ship at the First Class International rate (up to 4 pounds) so it's less expensive.
The new price on the Foxy 2.5 Satin Aluminum cups has no expiration date. I'll offer them at this price indefinitely.
Good luck with the Penguin cups Neuromancer.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
No excuses now, only ever had a plastic set of cups, my order is on the way!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Please have a look at my sale. It is for a special fundraising project I am doing for Operation Smile!

Cheers!

Rannie

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#2
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a good starter set of cups and balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.65 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL