The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Separate Ropes For Each Effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I use about 12 different rope effects. I don't combine them into a seemless routine. In fact most times I split them up with card effects, silk effects, math effects, etc. to offer a variety of of magic.

Two questions:

Am I minimizing the impact of rope magic by combining it with other types of magic? I'm concerned about too much of one type of magic in the same performance.

I have separate ropes for each effect. I could probably use generic size ropes that would fit a lot of the effects. Do I lose anything from the audience's perspective by bringing out separate ropes for each effect, i.e. would I be better served by using the same ropes over and over if they are appropriate during the same performance?

Thanks in advance for your comments....

John
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I truly believe that you can combine certain effects into one blended routine, or devise a running gag by saying if that didn't fool you, I have another rope trick. In general, you could do one or possibly two rope effects and it is best NOT to put the first set down and pick up a different set of ropes, it totally screams "gimmick" or "special".
Now, you could put the first "special" ropes in a bag and switch it for the next "special ropes", then you wouldn't tip that you need a special set for each effect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi9LMKq7tp8

I do my Dances with ropes http://magicians.podbean.com/dances-with-rope/ which combines three professor nightmare moves and then linking ropes.
I have another sequence where I do a cut and restored, then PN, then linking ropes.

What rope effects do you do?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Ian,

The rope tricks I do most frequently are:

Professor's Nightmare
Double Cut And Restored Rope
Wholesale Ring Removal
Ring Thru Rope (Colombini)
Walking Through Ropes
Cords Of Phantasia
Sliding Knot (2 Ropes to 1)
Great Grandma's Magic Thimble

I am adding:

Knot Of Enchantment
Chain Of Penitence
Eddie Joseph's Ringed
Vanishing Square Knot

Thanks for your video! I use a c***** b** quite frequently in other effects and this will be another use for it.

By the way I have most books and DVDs on rope magic, including your Dancing With Ropes, and am now really starting to dig into the stuff. It's amazing what can be done with rope. My only regret is ignoring it all the years gone by.

Thanks again,

John
John

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22864 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Slowneenuh, being we know nothing about your personality and presentation style. I cannot comment on your question. I can only tell you that famous magicians such as the late Pavel did tricks with ropes separately. He used his signiture table set up and opened a table box for each effect. When his act was done it spelled his name, "PAVEL" on the inside of each lid. This was a good way to present tricks that did not have a notiable begining and ending for the tricks. The tricks had more of a middle effect. Another reason was his tricks were gimmicked to the hilt. So making it harder to combine with anything else.

Actually, you should strive to cause your tricks to 'flow' from one effect to another. It will not distract if you do not, but the ending must be 'punched' for the audience. Salvano did an act of all rope magic, it might be good, look at how others have successfully done acts with one type of item.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=112018

Tabary also did a complete act using only rope magic.

http://dennymagic.com/products/rope-magi......2-combo/

Having an knowing a lot of tricks is only the 1st part as you have discovered. Presenting it in a pleasing manner that sells to an audience is another part that many overlook. Good to see you want to deliver the whole package.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
WOW
I only do one of the rope tricks that you do. I would like to sit down with you and share rope routines.

I do eight rope routines on a regular basis, and each routine requires different pieces of rope.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Ian, Bill, and Al,

Thanks for the guidance and advice. As usual, this forum is most helpful.

Ian I responded to your message above.

Bill, I was not aware of the Salvano DVD and it will be added to my collection.

Al, I would be happy to give you the books, DVD's, chapters, page numbers, etc. if you are really interested in the effects I do. Although as I have found out through my limited research, the effects are probably similar to yours but called something different because of a slight nuance the way that particular author performs it. My personal favorite to date (along with my audience) is "Cords of Phantasia". Where else can you use a magic wand, two lengths of rope, four rings and a piece of silk to baffle the audience?

Also folks, I enjoy doing PN very much and it too is a crowd pleaser. For those folks that try to figure it out their first assumption is that the ropes stretch. Of course they don't stop to think that if that was the case one rope must shrink. Anyway, I read someplace and I don't remember where that someone performs it with chain. I thought that would be a great follow on to the disbelievers! Have any of you tried it? Once again I have been doing research and narrowed it down to a couple of approaches but wanted to see if anyone else has ventured down that path. I can tell you I got a lot of strange looks at hardware and pet stores doing wierd things with chains as people went bye!

Thanks again everybody,

John
John

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22864 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would say the noise factor would get in the way of a great trick. Why mess with perfection. The best people that have created a great routine with PN, is Jose De La Torra, Sanders, and Daryl. It is about the magic not the proving. There will always be those that want to disprove what they see, but I would not play to them. I would play to the people that laugh, clap and enjoyed your time with them.
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I'm just getting started with ropes. I met a magician at the local renaissance fair, in the spring, and he said he would teach me some great rope routines... then somehow we spent the next 6 weekends working on the symphony of rings! So now I get to start on ropes again Smile

... and I think that will have to include some purchases from Magic Ian
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
EDERNAC did his total act with one piece of rope... much like Tabary, but IMHO, much better. If my memory serves me, he tossed the rope into the audience at the end of his routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9061 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have a routine (eBook) called Necklacy with an entire "show on a rope." Many effects are possible with items hung on a rope like a necklace. In the process of getting items on and off I do four different C&R. In the cutting process you wind up with lengths for PN and similar effects -- ending with a completely restored necklace in the end.

Thus, rope effects can be "the binding element" for many seemingly unrelated effects.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
I just looked at your change bag nightmare, and it was a beautiful transition.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 15:02, Al Angello wrote:
Ian
I just looked at your change bag nightmare, and it was a beautiful transition.

Thanks,
That's been part of my lecture for 30 years, very strong use of the bag. It works well with cards and silks as well.
I always ask.. "Did you let go of the ropes at any time?" They always answer "no!"
I always ask "then how do you explain what happened". The bold part is the confidence that they will answer "No", and not missing a beat when you continue.
I have never had anyone say "yes".
Thanks for noticing.

Those who haven't seen it...this is one online. The lecture DVD shows it with other spectators.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi9LMKq7tp8
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Separate Ropes For Each Effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL