The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Cry baby bridge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Someclownoffthestreet
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Someclownoffthestreet
Almost every rural town has one. What's the story behind your local crybaby bridge?
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
What on earth is a crybaby bridge??
Stigmata
View Profile
New user
A small remote village in NAM
52 Posts

Profile of Stigmata
There was a crybaby bridge back in Ohio. I forget the city but near maybe even it was in Brandywine. The story of that one was something about an escaped mental patient stealing babies and hanging them off the bridge like they were decorations not killing them. Letting them die a slow death just to listen to the cries like they were music.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 07:00, Amazo the fantastic awesome wrote:
There was a crybaby bridge back in Ohio. I forget the city but near maybe even it was in Brandywine. The story of that one was something about an escaped mental patient stealing babies and hanging them off the bridge like they were decorations not killing them. Letting them die a slow death just to listen to the cries like they were music.

Smile

OMG! That's the most horrible thing I've ever heard...

Who thinks up this horrendous stuff?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 07:00, Amazo the fantastic awesome wrote:

Is there really ANY truth behind this? I hope not.
Stigmata
View Profile
New user
A small remote village in NAM
52 Posts

Profile of Stigmata
The town it was in was referred to as Hell Town but that's another every state has type legend. The bizarre part to that was we're in the modern days where everything is accessible online. The town is almost all but deserted.A crazy graveyard up on a hill in the center. Last time I was there I only remember seeing a large house being lived in way in the woods,a couple houses here and there and a boat shop. Oh yeah and several places fenced in keeping stuff in instead of out. Now I know a lot of punk kids had to be behind nailing the cats to trees there and blood paint on a lot of things. I decided to search online about the town where the story was even crazier than the Legend. Turned out it was a military experiment gone wrong town. Ill have to ask friends to remember the towns name for sure and recheck. It had to do with radiation exposure from some government testing and killed a bunch there.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 21:25, Someclownoffthestreet wrote:
Almost every rural town has one..whats the story behind your local crybaby bridge?

So what constitutes a Crybaby bridge? Size, shape, age? They are obviously common in the USA but I have never heard of them in the UK.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
We have one here, near the interstate. It actually is a woman hollering. It's called "Woman Hollering Creek" for real. Legend is a woman's little baby died and she went to the creek or ran to the creek screaming. Many versions, some like below she drowned the baby. At night you can hear her screaming still.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_Hollering_Creek
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I'm really quite glad we don't have these in the UK.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
We do have the equivalent in Mexico. She is called the "llorona" pronounced (Yo-ro-na) or the crying lady. I always thought this was an exclusive spanish folklore legend. We were often warned away from the canals nearby because of la llorona. I'm glad that we weren't the only kids traumatized by this legend.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dralph
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Dralph
There`s this guy, knows everything about creepy locations. He`s also written about cry baby bridges before.
You should go to his site and ask him.

http://travelcreepster.wordpress.com/
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crybaby_Bridge

The listing for Sulphur Springs, Texas offers an interesting possibility
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2011-11-01 01:59, Devious wrote:
We do have the equivalent in Mexico. She is called the "llorona" pronounced (Yo-ro-na) or the crying lady. I always thought this was an exclusive spanish folklore legend. We were often warned away from the canals nearby because of la llorona. I'm glad that we weren't the only kids traumatized by this legend.

My friend, Pat Mendoza, tells a totally creepy story of La Llorona, the weeping one. Ohh, he can scare everyone in the audience!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
maxpax
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
120 Posts

Profile of maxpax
The closest we have in Sweden is teh story about the kid who doesn't get an Ipad then goes running to a bridge crying until he gets it. I think a kid who didn't get an Ipad made it up.
But seriously we don't have a lot of those in Sweden. We do have a grave where there are flowers "appearing" every night. That's pretty creepy.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 11:11, maxpax wrote:
The closest we have in Sweden is teh story about the kid who doesn't get an Ipad then goes running to a bridge crying until he gets it. I think a kid who didn't get an Ipad made it up.

:)
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
You don't have a lot of iPads in Sweden?

;)
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
There certainly are 'crybaby bridge' in the UK. I know of two - one just outside Sawley, Nottinghamshire. The second in a Burbidge, Derbyshire, just outside Buxton. I have been on each and boy are they real. And scary.

The Sawley crybaby bridge crosses a canal off the River Trent...it is a lock...and it is where three baby girls were tied, by their mothers and left dangling upside down, tied by the ankles, as the lock gates were opened to be drowned by the rising water. All three mothers were convinced they had given birth to 'devil' children and so determined to kill them.

The sounds are the cries of the babies mingled with the sounds of the lock water rushing into the lock as the mothers slowly pushed open the lock gates. These murders occurred as recently as 1938.

The second bridge - in Burbidge - is even more horrific. It is the sound of a baby's head smashing onto granite stone, as it swings in the wind...again, tied by the legs upside down....against the stone of the bridge wall. There are no cries: just the sickening crunch, crunch of bone again stone.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Wow, those are terrible stories...... do you have a link to any information on the Sawley bridge, I can't seem to find any reference to it?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I was born and reared in Queens, New York City and there are a lot of bridges and tunnels there. We had kidnappings, murders, mad bombers, and all kinds of other crazy things, but never in all of my 65 years have I ever heard of anything in NYC relating to any Crybaby Bridge. But maybe I'm just ill informed.

That said, I wonder if the Tallahatchie Bridge in Bobby Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe" was one of them?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Wiki says that crybaby bridges are a USA thing. I still cant find any reference to the Sawley bridge horrors.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Cry baby bridge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL