The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in the French Riviera (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
I'm heading out to Europe in about two weeks, starting in London, to busk and travel. My ultimate goal is to make it to the French Riviera and be able to perform and live for a few weeks.

Does anyone have any experience out there, and could perhaps advise on some good towns, tougher ones, no-permits, receptive audiences?

Thanks,
Edwin
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
I'd be interested in knowing how things are there. Seems like there's a lot of potential to entertain for the drunken, overpriviledged yacht parties. Busking could be great self ad for this if it is a go -- that is, private party bookings stemmed from busking.
Also if you have the language skills, close-up restaurant work...
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Many, Many years ago Juan Les Pins was good. I was 16 then, I am now 50 so I am sure things have changed.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
I youtubed this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkhN2LPRRB0 after seeing Manal's post. These guys probably pass the hat.
This pitch looks good for a sidewalk show.
This was 2 years ago and even 2 weeks ago can be dated information in the world of busking...

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 11:32am
And if they allow this, then they must be lax: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszmFhFa0WA&feature=related
This guy would be arrested in a NY minute in the US.
MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
Just arrived in London, so I'll be making my way down there over the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
My hunch has always been that London is easier/better busking than Paris but maybe Paris is en route for you?
Let us know how it goes.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 11:23, taoist wrote:
I youtubed this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkhN2LPRRB0 after seeing Manal's post. These guys probably pass the hat.
This pitch looks good for a sidewalk show.
This was 2 years ago and even 2 weeks ago can be dated information in the world of busking...

I used to drink Manhattans in that bar / Café seen in the YouTube video and there was a Whiskey A-Go_Go just up the street.

I heard Antibes sucks now, people sleeping in nearly every doorway at night.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
Ok. So let's try Nikki Beach...

With yet another unusual/ creative/ somewhat invasive busker... maybe hired by the restaurant?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niPHuVhnL......94A59366
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Disturbing and cute at the same time.
Does anyone know where one might obtain such a puppet?
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
163 Posts

Profile of limkris
Avignon is the place to be each summer.
DJBrenton
View Profile
Regular user
Midlands, England
129 Posts

Profile of DJBrenton
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 22:50, manal wrote:
I was 16 then, I am now 50 so I am sure things have changed.

Looking at your photo, I feel sure they have. Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2011-06-25 13:43, RiffRaff wrote:

I would never try to copy someone elses "bit" but I too am intrigued by this puppet for other venues.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I have no interest in performing any part of that guy's act.
I am simply intrigued by the possibilities of that prop.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
So am I. Apologies if I implied that your intentions were anything other than honorable.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2011-06-25 00:18, taoist wrote:
Ok. So let's try Nikki Beach...

With yet another unusual/ creative/ somewhat invasive busker... maybe hired by the restaurant?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niPHuVhnL......94A59366

Very funny guys... tank you
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-06-27 14:08, Dave V wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-25 13:43, RiffRaff wrote:

I would never try to copy someone elses "bit" but I too am intrigued by this puppet for other venues.

I'm just curious as to how he controlled the arms, legs and face! Seems to me it would take at least six fingers to pull that off!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-06-26 14:12, Kristof Limbo wrote:
Avignon is the place to be each summer.

I second that! Antibes used to be really good, and some days it still can be. I had a lot of fun in Monte Carlo and the rest of Monaco when I was still living in Europe, and still do when we get back there for vacation and visiting family that lives in the area. Since I am not a busker and I only perform the random effect for people on the street occasionally, I am unaware of the requirements (or lack thereof) regarding permits. When I did actually earn money performing there, it was always in restaurants, gaming establishments and theatres.

I also must say Juan Les Pins can be very interesting at times too. I have a good friend that lives there that is an artist, and we meet up every once in a while to go out and see what is being done on the streets.
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
Here's an Antibes link that shows a shot of a street that looks good for a small sidewalk pitch at 34 second mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxvKtXgqqsM&feature=related
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2011-06-27 03:41, DJBrenton wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 22:50, manal wrote:
I was 16 then, I am now 50 so I am sure things have changed.

Looking at your photo, I feel sure they have. Smile

Time is a cruel mistress Smile

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in the French Riviera (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL