The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » France bans "twitter" and "facebook" from mention on radio and tv (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
That is, the mention of the words will not be allowed, from the sounds of it, on news and talk shows.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......dio.html

"In a controversial move the French government has said that it will enforce a law so that the words 'Facebook' and 'Twitter' will not be allowed to be spoken on the television or on the radio. or on the radio."

This stems from "a 1992 decree which stipulates that commercial enterprises should not be promoted on news programs" unless they are relevant or pivotal to the story.

Spokesman for France’s Conseil Supérieur de l’Audiovisuel(CSA), Christine Kelly suggests that mentioning the sites by name would be a "distortion of competition," asking "[w]hy give preference to Facebook, which is worth billion of dollars, when there are many other social networks that are struggling for recognition?"
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
"...or on the radio. or on the radio." They are so adamant about this that they said it twice. For emphasis. For emphasis.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Yet another badly written topic..... They didn't ban mention of it.... they can mention it if "they are relevant or pivotal to the story." As in "on his twitter account, justin beiber announced he cut his hair"
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yes, I think it's a uk thing.

For some reason when I copy text on my phone the beginning and end get repeated. Usually I delete all the repeated stuff, but must have missed that part.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Don't be modest, that was a perfect set-up.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-06 17:30, kcg5 wrote:
Yet another badly written topic..... They didn't ban mention of it.... they can mention it if "they are relevant or pivotal to the story." As in "on his twitter account, justin beiber announced he cut his hair"

Yeah, if only that had been mentioned in the op of the topic . . .

Quote:
On 2011-06-06 16:55, gdw wrote:

. . .
This stems from "a 1992 decree which stipulates that commercial enterprises should not be promoted on news programs" unless they are relevant or pivotal to the story.
. . .

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Not this again... you write "france bans twitter and facebook from mention on radio and tv, as a thread headline. then you mention that (they can be)"...they are relevant to the story". so, to conclude, france did not ban twitter and facebook from mention on radio and tv.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
"Not this again"? Kevin, YOU brought it up. And again, I simply took the wording from the articles head line.

Sorry I didn't feel like squeezing every last bit into the thread title. Hell, if I did, then why even bother reading anything more than the thread names?

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think that there is more than a little truth in what gdw has posted. From the linked article:

Quote:
In a controversial move the French government has said that it will enforce a law so that the words 'Facebook' and 'Twitter' will not be allowed to be spoken on the television or on the radio.

President Nicolas Sarkozy's colleagues have agreed to uphold a 1992 decree which stipulates that commercial enterprises should not be promoted on news programs.

Broadcasting anchors from now on are forbidden to refer to the popular social networking site and the microblogging phenomenon, unless it is pivotal and relevant to a news item.
In preventing French news broadcasters from mentioning Facebook and Twitter it means that the radio and television stations will not be able to urge their listeners or viewers to 'follow us on Twitter', for example - something that is becoming increasingly visible on other countries' news channels across Europe and beyond.

Further, it limits those French channels and stations from developing and harnessing an online audience - something which is more important as technological advancements gather pace and news becomes more interactive and digital.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I like the idea behind the law. The news is no place for product placement. I have no idea if it's a good law or not.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think it's a losing battle. Bandaids . . . to xerox . . . to tannoy someone . . . many more.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-06 18:17, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I like the idea behind the law. The news is no place for product placement. I have no idea if it's a good law or not.

John

Now THIS is good thinking.
Just because it's good idea, doesn't mean it's a good law.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2011 4:55pm, gdw wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......dio.html

"In a controversial move the French government has said that it will enforce a law so that the words 'Facebook' and 'Twitter' will not be allowed to be spoken on the television or on the radio. or on the radio."

"not be allowed to be spoken"

So nothing prevents a twitter / facebook address from being posted on the running head under the talking heads?

If that is the case, then this sounds like a non-story to me.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-06 18:46, Woland wrote:
I think it's a losing battle. Bandaids . . . to xerox . . . to tannoy someone . . . many more.

But when have governments recognized a losing battle?

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-06-06 18:02, gdw wrote:
"Not this again"? Kevin, YOU brought it up. And again, I simply took the wording from the articles head line.

Sorry I didn't feel like squeezing every last bit into the thread title. Hell, if I did, then why even bother reading anything more than the thread names?

He is talking about you intentionally writing misleading conclusions of things in your topic titles. You do it almost without fail.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Again, Danny and I see eye to eye.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I would not say simply taking the thread titles from the headlines is intentionally writing misleading conclusions.

thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
A merchant in my building had to have frosted glass entirely around his store because he sells tobacco products, and the government fears that the easily impressionable kiddies will be lured into smoking by the advertising of Rothman's or whoever makes cigarettes nowadays. The smokes are hidden behind drapes in grocery stores, with nary a smidgen of product label to be seen - or hefty fines ensue for the merchant. Yet, kids under the legal smoking age are readily indulging right outside his store all the time. We now have a camera set up to look into the merchant's store to reduce the number of thefts he has had since the morons reasoned no one can see whats going on because the windows are frosted.
All these laws are stupid and don't work.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-06 21:29, thorndyke wrote:
A merchant in my building had to have frosted glass entirely around his store because he sells tobacco products, and the government fears that the easily impressionable kiddies will be lured into smoking by the advertising of Rothman's or whoever makes cigarettes nowadays. The smokes are hidden behind drapes in grocery stores, with nary a smidgen of product label to be seen - or hefty fines ensue for the merchant. Yet, kids under the legal smoking age are readily indulging right outside his store all the time. We now have a camera set up to look into the merchant's store to reduce the number of thefts he has had since the morons reasoned no one can see whats going on because the windows are frosted.
All these laws are stupid and don't work.

Careful, they might accuse you of being me under a second login Smile

RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
The "Banned" part of this topic reminds me when someone puts up a You tube vid and says "Banned in America" or where ever. If the vid was indeed banned then it wouldn't even be able to be viewed by anyone in the U.S. be it on Y.T. or elsewhere. Shows how some people can't even grasp what banned really means.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » France bans "twitter" and "facebook" from mention on radio and tv (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL